Why do fertility drugs work?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

I hope I haven't already done a thread on this topic, but forgive me if I have.

The bible teaches us that every life is planned by God and that we are all knitted together in our mother's womb. (Psalm 139:13)

It also tells us that babies are a gift/blessing from God.' (Psalm 127:3)

If the above verses are true then how is it that fertility drugs can possibly work?

Why would God bless them with a child when they were clearly trying to work around his system?

People sometimes end up with multiple births when using these drugs and they can get multiple blessings. Surely this should never happen if the bible is correct?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: Why do fertility drugs work?

Post #21

Post by OnceConvinced »

1213 wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:I have never heard the word "coincidence" being used by evolutionists. That word comes with a lot of connotations. The word "coincidence" seems to imply that there is some kind of intended goal of evolution, which there is not.
Maybe random would be better word. By what I know, mutations happen in random way and there is no guided system that causes them, in scientific and atheistic point of view.
Yeah, that makes more sense. Millions of random events happening over millions of years. Follow that path from the beginning and we get what we have today. It would all make perfect sense I'm sure if we were able to follow that path and witness each random event and perhaps even investigate why that event happened.

1213 wrote:
I don’t mean drug should work in every scenario. But for example, in chemistry, if something is scientific fact, it works every time same way, is same situation. The ability to repeat the thing, makes it scientific and fact. If something can’t be repeated, the reason why it earlier worked is probably something else. If the medicine doesn’t work always in similar situations, the reason why it “worked� earlier is probably something else than the medicine.
There is no guarantee that if you use fertility drugs they are going to work. Nobody ever claimed they were 100% guaranteed. But when people can't get pregnant the normal way, or by prayer, they resort to the drug and the fact that in many cases it then gets them pregnant, is surely very powerful evidence that it's the drug, not any god who is causing the pregnancy.

The fact that fertility drugs work, should tell us that:

1) God does not have a plan for all people. The fact is you plant baby seeds, you get babies. (I used to hate that saying as a Christian, but how true it is!)
2) There is no need for a god to start life off.
3) Prayer and magic doesn't work. If you want to give birth when you have fertility problems, you are most likely going to need performance enhancing drugs.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Savant

Post #22

Post by 1213 »

OnceConvinced wrote: The fact that fertility drugs work, should tell us that:

1) God does not have a plan for all people. The fact is you plant baby seeds, you get babies. (I used to hate that saying as a Christian, but how true it is!)
3) Prayer and magic doesn't work. If you want to give birth when you have fertility problems, you are most likely going to need performance enhancing drugs.
The problem with all of your claims is that you have nothing to offer as evidence or proof that your claims are true and factual and not just opinions. It is to difficult for me too believe those claims, sorry.

Tcg
Savant

Post #23

Post by Tcg »

OnceConvinced wrote: [Replying to post 17 by Tcg]

Hi TCG, of course you are right, however what I have learnt from fertility drugs is that:

1. Indeed. All results we experience in life are based on our actions or the actions of other persons/things. This is as a true of childbirth as it is of any other result.

2. No need. The birth of humans is the result of human activity.

3. Prayer may cause people to feel better about not getting the outcome they hope for, but there is no reason to think it changes the outcome in any way. The same is true of magic.

bluethread
Savant

Post #24

Post by bluethread »

OnceConvinced wrote:
Has anyone claimed that fertility drugs are going to be a hundred percent effective? Clearly they are not.
No, but you do seem to be arguing that they override providence somehow.
Taking a drug is working around God's natural system and gaining additional blessings that weren't originally intended for them.
According to whom? Last time I checked, humans and chemicals were part of the natural system.
Since when were fertility drugs part of the natural system?
Note, you said "God's natural system". Doesn't that include the various elements that are used in making fertility drugs and man's ability to combine them? Though I personally am not in favor of pharmaceuticals, because there are always side effects, there is nothing that I know of in the Scriptures that precludes their effectiveness.
bluethread wrote:
The reason I have not answered them is because they are all why questions that include presumptions that don't necessarily follow. Therefore, I will not tell you when I stopped beating my wife, until you show how it is you think I beat her in the first place. I see no contradiction between the passages you quoted and the use of fertility drugs.
Well you'll have to excuse me if I decline to give you a lesson about the birds and the bees. This is not the forum for that.

As for what a god would or wouldn't do, I am hoping you theists may be able to come up with some answers for that one. Of course if you have none, I can understand that.
I don't understand. Are you talking about artificial sperm or eggs? Are you talking moral restrictions with regard to sex in the Scriptures. However, I know of nowhere where the Scriptures indicate that drugs should have no effect. Is about in vitro fertilization? Are you talking about drugs that allow one to reproduce without sperm and/or an egg? If you are talking about conjugal intercourse, I hope you are aware that chemistry plays a big role in that. What is it you are specifically talking about and how does that relate to the Scriptures? I know how sex works, but do you actually believe that the nature of reproduction exempts you from explaining what you mean by "God's natural system"? I do know that there some social and moral restrictions on sex, but nothing that I know of in the Scriptures precludes their effectiveness. Quite frankly, it is because they have an effect that their use is generally discouraged, mainly because of the possible side effects.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #25

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the OP:
Cause they get you to thinkin' that ugly'n there, well she ain't her near so much of it, now that it's closing time.
The bible teaches us that every life is planned by God and that we are all knitted together in our mother's womb. (Psalm 139:13)
The Bible teaches the gullible. It seldom teaches the truth.
And don't it beat all, God's immune to him any child-support, and how it is, if you find yourself you gotta pay it, you don't deserve you no court-appointed lawyer to defend your rights regarding visitation and the not selling birthday and christmas gifts right out from under your young'n you done tried to give 'em to. But miss you a danged payment you mother-kisser!

Money, in Christian America, is God. We spent us the time to write it on it! We made it the eleventh commandment!
If the above verses are true then how is it that fertility drugs can possibly work?
Michael Jackson has offspring. There are no gods other'n the ones we create.
Why would God bless them with a child when they were clearly trying to work around his system?
Joseph was a cuck?

Wanna be respectful here, but dangitall, words mean things.
People sometimes end up with multiple births when using these drugs and they can get multiple blessings. Surely this should never happen if the bible is correct?
I think that's grossly unfair. My son, a Model American, was born seven months premature. And he survived the stigma of his momma being pregant there seven months before it was he got him born.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by liamconnor »

OnceConvinced wrote: I hope I haven't already done a thread on this topic, but forgive me if I have.

I hope the question is a joke.

Afterall, why seize upon this. Why is murder possible?