Status of women in ancient Atheism people's civilizations

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

paarsurrey1
Sage

Status of women in ancient Atheism people's civilizations

Post #1

Post by paarsurrey1 »

There existed no worthwhile Atheistic or Agnostic society in the ancient* in any large numbers. Had it been so?

I would like to know status of women in those cultures or civilizations. That is why sometimes I think that there was no worthwhile Atheist Agnostic culture anywhere in the world in the ancient times; might be no Atheist Agnostic existed in those times; and it might be simply a recent growth. Right, please?
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

In the Pre-Veda period
In the Vedic period
In the Post-Veda period
In the times of Buddha
In the times of Krishna
In the times of Moses
In the times of Zoroaster
In the times of Jesus
In the times of Socratess

Tcg
Savant

Re: Status of women in ancient Atheism people's civilization

Post #11

Post by Tcg »

Bust Nak wrote:
No experiments are needed as logic itself dictates that the neutral position that says nothing is the default position.
From a purely materialistic view, your position would be hard to argue against. Some theists however, claim that god/gods in some way give all humans innate knowledge of god/gods. Some Christians for instance use the text of Romans 1 to support this concept. Based on this view, they'd claim that the default position would be belief in god/gods.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #12

Post by Bust Nak »

Tcg wrote: From a purely materialistic view, your position would be hard to argue against. Some theists however, claim that god/gods in some way give all humans innate knowledge of god/gods. Some Christians for instance use the text of Romans 1 to support this concept. Based on this view, they'd claim that the default position would be belief in god/gods.
Even if we have innate knowledge of god(s), it is still the case that the default position is to say nothing. All an innate knowledge of god would mean is that we have a trivial justification to move beyond the default position and affirm with a positive claim that yes, gods exist.

Tcg
Savant

Post #13

Post by Tcg »

Bust Nak wrote: Even if we have innate knowledge of god(s), it is still the case that the default position is to say nothing.
As I understand it, the question is not what a persons says, but what they believe.
All an innate knowledge of god would mean is that we have a trivial justification to move beyond the default position and affirm with a positive claim that yes, gods exist.
If all humans have an innate knowledge of god/gods, the default position would be belief in god/gods.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #14

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 13 by Tcg]

There is a difference between default position and default belief, the default position is one a matter of philosophy and it is the negative stance that says nothing.

Tcg
Savant

Post #15

Post by Tcg »

Bust Nak wrote:
There is a difference between default position and default belief, the default position is one a matter of philosophy and it is the negative stance that says nothing.
I can't agree. If it is true, as some theists claim, that god/gods give all humans an innate knowledge of god/gods, then the default position of all humans would be that god/gods exist.

Willum
Savant

Post #16

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 10 by paarsurrey1]
So one agrees that Atheism cannot claim to be a default position/no-position, they never had any culture or civilization in the ancient in any part of the world. They might have been there as a minority or confused, disgruntled and doubting individuals. They did whatever the culture or civilization they belonged to were doing.
Moderation is not specific to Atheism, majority of the religious peoples are/had been moderate and enlightened people.
If you absolutely ignored what I wrote, yes.
Greece has always had a liberal culture that included atheism.
The pygmy tribes in Africa had/have an atheistic culture existing LONG before the Abrahamic religions, and were very egalitarian.

So, if you were to read what I said, you would see that one of, if not the oldest culture, is atheistic.

You learn something new every day...