Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

The sky at night

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Hello;

Seeing as how this area is set up for people with an urge to express their opinions I'm taking advantage of the relatively peaceable environment hereabouts to post my thoughts on a variety of topic

Beauty:

I saw a beautiful winter sunset today, I think that beauty is something that lifts the heart.

Personal opinion

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Re: The sky at night

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by JehovahsWitness]

Line 1: The stars at night...

Line 2: ...are big and bright.

Line 3: Deep in the heart of Texas!

This is not a one line random rambling.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: The sky at night

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 2 by Tcg]

nice

:o)

Well, the snow has arrived in my neck of the woods, its beauty if offseet a little by the inconvenience. I can't help but be moved however by the first snow since its quite rare where I live.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Overcomer
Guru

knowing God by intuition

Post #4

Post by Overcomer »

Interesting.

I just read an article entitled Intuitional Apologetics: Using our Deepest Intuitions to Point to God by Terry Glaspey in a book entitled A New Kind of Apologist. He speaks of "moments of transcendence", using his response to seeing the Grand Canyon as an example.

He harkens back to Aquinas's Two Books -- meaning the Bible and nature -- as two sources that reveal God. Of course, the Scripture he bases this on is in Rom. 1:20 as God "can be perceived in the things he made".

And, of course, there are many psalms extolling God's greatness and majesty as seen in the world around us. For example, Psalm 19 starts out with "The heavens declare the glory of God . . . ."

I recall the words of Abraham Lincoln:

“I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon the earth and be an atheist, but I cannot conceive how he could look up into the heavens and say there is no God.�

Tcg
Savant

Re: knowing God by intuition

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

Overcomer wrote:
“I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon the earth and be an atheist,
Given that the earth is part of nature, you've just provided a quote the argues against your assertion. When dealing with nature that he understood, at least to some degree, he realized that it is clear evidence that no god exists.
but I cannot conceive how he could look up into the heavens and say there is no God.�
This is nothing more than an expression of the fact he understood very little about space. We aren't in that position today. Today we don't need use god as an explanation for space.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #6

Post by Overcomer »

Tcg wrote:
Overcomer wrote:
“I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon the earth and be an atheist,
Given that the earth is part of nature, you've just provided a quote the argues against your assertion. When dealing with nature that he understood, at least to some degree, he realized that it is clear evidence that no god exists.
but I cannot conceive how he could look up into the heavens and say there is no God.�
This is nothing more than an expression of the fact he understood very little about space. We aren't in that position today. Today we don't need use god as an explanation for space.

I think you missed Lincoln's point. He was saying that, if you look at this world with all its evil such as war, murder, rape, lying, cheating, etc., you might mistakenly think God didn't exist because of the existence of evil.

Then he points out that, if you look at the magnificence of creation, how could you doubt that there isn't a God who made it all?

What science has revealed hasn't changed that. As we learn about the complexity of this world, it becomes more and more obvious that it didn't just happen randomly, by chance, but that it was designed by someone with the power and intellect to do the job.

Ask any computer programmer if programs just happen. He or she would laugh and say it was impossible. So why do people believe that the world came into existence out of nothing and then just happened to be so complex and intricate and beautiful? How could order come out of chaos?

So Lincoln's statement has stood the test of time. It is just as true today as it was when he said it. And science has done nothing but reveal the truth of it.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Overcomer wrote:
I think you missed Lincoln's point.
I didn't miss it at all. He was saying that if we examine that part of nature that we most directly contact, there is no reason to believe in a thing called god. He was right. There is no reason to believe in a thing called god.