Abraham was neither a Jew nor a Christian, but a Muslim

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

paarsurrey1
Sage

Abraham was neither a Jew nor a Christian, but a Muslim

Post #1

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Abraham was neither a Jew nor a Christian, but a Muslim. Wasn't he, please?

There is no intention to injure anybody's religious sentiments, please.

Regards

viewtopic.php?p=893914#893914

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #21

Post by paarsurrey1 »

marco wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote: [Replying to post 18 by marco]
Adam was a Muslim
Adam was also a Muslim, certainly. He did not believe in many gods, he was neither a Jew nor a Christian. Adam was neither an Atheist nor an Agnostic/Ignostic/Skeptics. Was he, please?

Regards
Paarsurrey - Adam was a fictional character. The first humans were still undeveloped. Adam may have had an honours degree in theology but he never attended a mosque, as far as we know. So, like Abraham, he was not a Muslim nor a Roman Catholic.

Muslims appeared on Earth in the 7th century, after the Quran was given to some Arabs. Those who were once uncultured desert traders and raiders embraced the idea of heaven being a continuation of male carnal expectations as portrayed in the Quran.

I wonder how you know so much about Adam's personal beliefs. Can you supply the reference?
Adam was a fictional character
How does one know that Adam was a fictional Character?
Is science one's source or revelation of a religious founder, please?

Regards

tam
Savant

Post #22

Post by tam »

Peace to you, paarsurrey!
paarsurrey1 wrote: [Replying to post 18 by marco]
Adam was a Muslim
Adam was also a Muslim, certainly. He did not believe in many gods, he was neither a Jew nor a Christian. Adam was neither an Atheist nor an Agnostic/Ignostic/Skeptics. Was he, please?

Regards

It sounds like you might now be using Muslim to mean more than simply 'one who submits to God'?

If muslim means 'one who submits to God', then I'm not sure how Adam could be described as that - at least not at the start. God said 'don't eat of the tree of knowing good and bad', and Adam turned around and did the exact opposite, knowingly disobeying God. He may have repented and submitted to God much later on; but he did not do these things at the time.

He certainly was not an adherent of the religion, Islam, if that is what you mean by Muslim.

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

marco
Savant

Post #23

Post by marco »

paarsurrey1 wrote:

How does one know that Adam was a fictional Character?
Is science one's source or revelation of a religious founder, please?
Religious founders do NOT impart knowledge; they present ideas that some hold to be true. Archaeologists have found in a Moroccan mine remains of humans that seem to be around 300,000 years old. I prefer to go by this research than by creation stories.

Many religious people take Genesis as figurative, as poetry, rather than fact, for how could anyone have observed the events there described? Paul puts it well:
" When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put aside childish things."
For me that is how it is with Adam. I liked the story when I was a kid. Do we KNOW for certain Adam is a fiction? As certain as we can be that there is no Loch Ness monster I suppose.

marco
Savant

Post #24

Post by marco »

tam wrote:

He certainly was not an adherent of the religion, Islam, if that is what you mean by Muslim.
And this is truth in a nutshell, Tam. Islam is a religion, with set practices and observations regarding prayers. Adam was not of that group.

To extend 'Muslim' to mean one who submits to God, we are not defining Muslim alone. Jews and Christians, for example, submit to God, so using "submission to God" as a definition does not identify a Muslim. It is a characteristic shared with other faiths.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #25

Post by brianbbs67 »

In fact it goes further, there was no religion in the beginning. There was God and us. Religion was not required, just obedience(for our good). We went so far off the ranch that our lives had to be shortened to 120 years max and the Sons of God forbidden our women and a great flood ensued to correct the Nephilim.

sami

Post #26

Post by sami »

[font=Arial][/font]

The first identified in the Scriptures as a “Hebrew� was Abraham. Jew was a term used for a person of the tribe of Judah after the fall of the ten-tribe kingdom of Israel. 2Kings 16:6 After the Babylonian exile, it was used with regard to Israelites from various tribes who returned to Israel. Ezra 4:12 Then later, it was used throughout the world to distinguish Israelites from those of the Gentile nations. Esther 3:6

Christianity (followers of Christ) did not exist in Abraham's time nor did Islam.

Abraham was born in 2018 B.C.E many centuries before Muhammad was born in about 570 C.E.

Abraham worshiped Jehovah and if you read the accounts in the Bible Book of Genesis it will become quite clear.

sami

Post #27

Post by sami »

[Replying to post 26 by sami]

[font=Arial][/font]
It seems that Hebrew, sometime in the future, would be meant as an ethnic distinction. Abraham, Sarah, their descendants and predecessors were of the ethnic group called Syrian/ Aramean (semitic people) descendants of Lot's son Shem.

Judah, the son of Jacob became known as a Jew (of or belonging to the tribe of Judah) and finally the name or distinction was applied to all Israelites. They were neither Christian or Muslim but worshippers of YHWH/Jehovah.

sami

Post #28

Post by sami »

[Replying to sami]

I meant to say son of Noah NOT Lot.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #29

Post by brianbbs67 »

Yes, sami, The Moabites and Amalikites(i think) were Lots sons with his daughters....