I've decided to write a book about Jesus--need help!

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

I've decided to write a book about Jesus--need help!

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

Hi Friends:

I've had tremendous enjoyment in this forum discussing and debating religious issues. Obviously many people, believers and skeptics alike, feel compelled to talk about Jesus. Considering the sales of books like Misquoting Jesus and The Da Vinci Code, many people like to read about Jesus as well. As a result of all this interest in Jesus and my own compulsion to discuss and debate Christian issues, I've decided to write a book about Jesus.

I'd really appreciate help with this task. The book I'm contemplating writing will discuss Jesus in three parts: as merely a man, as a myth made up by the church, and as the true messiah of Judaism. I plan to call the book, Jesus: Man, Myth, and Messiah. If you have other suggestions for a name, then please let me know.

Although I'm an atheist, I will try to present the reader with the evidence for each of these three views of Jesus as fairly and objectively as I can. I will leave it to the reader to decide if Jesus fits any of these views.

So here's how you can help me: Please provide suggestions for books and other sources of information including websites that you think are helpful in providing information about Jesus. These sources can be the work of Christians, atheists, Jews, or anybody else. I'd like information that is clear, thought provoking, and interesting.

These sources might address any of the following topics:
Jesus' Historicity
Jesus Mythicism
Secular Views of a Historical Jesus
Christian Views of a Historical Jesus
Islamic Views of a Historical Jesus
The Deity of Jesus
Pagan Gods and Religion
Jesus' Sexuality
Views of Jesus Through History
Contemporary Views of Jesus
Evidence for and Against Jesus
Jesus' Teachings and Philosophy
Jesus' Teachings and Science

And anything else you might think is important! You can include any personal experiences that you've had that have impacted your own beliefs about Jesus.

Thanks.

amortalman
Site Supporter

Re: I've decided to write a book about Jesus--need help!

Post #2

Post by amortalman »

[Replying to post 1 by Jagella]

Hi, Jagella.

I'm surprised that you haven't received any replies yet.

I'm currently reading The Christ Conspiracy-The Greatest Story Ever Sold by Acharya S.

Very comprehensive and the author's credentials are unassailable. You might want to give it a look.

Good luck with your book!

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 2 by amortalman]
I'm surprised that you haven't received any replies yet.
Yes. I was beginning to think that nobody wants to read about Jesus.
I'm currently reading The Christ Conspiracy-The Greatest Story Ever Sold by Acharya S. Very comprehensive and the author's credentials are unassailable. You might want to give it a look.

Thanks. I just ordered a copy. Can you post a preview?
Good luck with your book!
Thanks again. I'm working on the draft. I've got about 41 pages word-processed plus a 7-page introduction. I'll be looking for people to read the draft once I think it's ready.

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by amortalman »

[Replying to post 3 by Jagella]

At this point, I don't have any more to add to the description you read before buying the book. Sorry.

All the best,
a

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 1 by Jagella]

Hmm...the title you chose for your book has echoes of c s Lewis's trilemma: lunatic, liar or Lord. Do you plan to discuss the fourth L, legend?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Jagella »

rikuoamero wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Jagella]

Hmm...the title you chose for your book has echoes of c s Lewis's trilemma: lunatic, liar or Lord. Do you plan to discuss the fourth L, legend?
Yes. I'm currently working on the section of my book that deals with the issue of Jesus as a hoax. I'm surveying the mythicist literature and will soon move on the the works of real-Jesus apologists.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by rikuoamero »

Jagella wrote:
rikuoamero wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Jagella]

Yes. I'm currently working on the section of my book that deals with the issue of Jesus as a hoax. I'm surveying the mythicist literature and will soon move on the the works of real-Jesus apologists.
Cool. Don't forget to remind us when it's done. Is it going to be dead-tree only or can I get a Kindle version?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #8

Post by OnceConvinced »

I have a number of books on Smashwords at the moment, but nothing relating to religion particularly. I have been working on books for that purpose, but I end up not being happy with them and then return to the drawing board. I have two at the moment that are unfinished. One a kind of biographical one about growing up in a Christian home and losing my faith and another that just tackles various issues. Topics I have debated many times here.

https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/recker

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 7 by rikuoamero]

I've finished my book. I'm looking for a publisher. I'd like it to be available in both print and kindle.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Jagella »

OnceConvinced wrote: I have a number of books on Smashwords at the moment, but nothing relating to religion particularly. I have been working on books for that purpose, but I end up not being happy with them and then return to the drawing board. I have two at the moment that are unfinished. One a kind of biographical one about growing up in a Christian home and losing my faith and another that just tackles various issues. Topics I have debated many times here.

https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/recker
Can you give me some tips on publishing my book?