A place to discuss Catholic topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Falling Light 101
Apprentice

MARYS 9 ROLES IN THE BIBLE.

Post #1

Post by Falling Light 101 »

._________________

How can someone have a misconception about Mary.

When she is mentioned doing around 9 acts or things in the bible.

1. Receiving the Angels WORD and commandment TO GET MARRIED to JOSEPH......

and Then and There She heard she is pregnant and goes on to have the CHILD Jesus...

Luk 1:47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior.

2. Running to Egypt TO FLEE from ROME ./ Herod To hide her Child as Rome murdered all the 1 st Born... of Israel

3. Going to Jerusalem for PURIFICATION and sacrifice.... for her cleansing ceremony.

4. Looking for Jesus, for 3 days, Finding Him in the Temple...

5. At a wedding, Wanting more wine for the wedding Mary asked for WINE...

6. Coming from home with her family / To VISIT Jesus WITH HER SONS and DAUGHTERS as Jesus is preaching To his disciples

{ Jesus Says That He does no t CONSIDER MARY his mother, Saying WHO ? - WHY is this My MOTHER .... - Look He says pointing to his disciples HERE IS my mother and BROTHERS and sisters ...... NOT MARY....in reality God has no mother....

7. At his death FOR a moment BEFORE JESUS died He said concerning John *( Mary's real Natural Son ) - WOMAN, look at your Son..

Mary's son, took MARY - HIs mother away, in private / ALONE.

The Greek word is a word meaning SEPERATE, ALONE private.....

8. Bringing Spices and looking after her sons DEAD BODY.

9. At the day of Pentecost Receiving the Baptism Of the HOLY spirit......

OTHER THAN THAT... What HAVE WE MISSED...

WHAT do u have to correct, or add.. to MARYS role in Gods word ?

There is no other Mary Mother Of Jesus - in the Bible.

Falling Light 101
Apprentice

Conclusions ?

Post #2

I have to add - That although Mary is a wonderful woman and was a Good Mother. The fact is - Jesus never once ( personally ) called her As - My Mother or as Mother

marco
Savant

Re: Conclusions ?

Post #3

Post by marco »

Falling Light 101 wrote: I have to add - That although Mary is a wonderful woman and was a Good Mother. The fact is - Jesus never once ( personally ) called her As - My Mother or as Mother

Jesus seems to have disregarded the commandment to honour thy parents. He was exceptionally cold to his mother. There is no warmth in any of his reported exchanges. He went missing for THREE days in Jerusalem (where did he spend the nights?) and his distraught parents, on finding him, were given a cheeky reply about being on his "Father's business." That should have earned him a clip on the ear.

Mary's patient presence draws a negative picture of Christ.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to Falling Light 101]
I have to add - That although Mary is a wonderful woman and was a Good Mother. The fact is - Jesus never once ( personally ) called her As - My Mother or as Mother
I don’t think that is accurate.

25Near the cross of Jesus stood His mother and her sister, as well as Mary the wife of Clopas and Mary Magdalene. 26When Jesus saw His mother and the disciple whom He loved standing nearby, He said to His mother, “Woman, here is your son.� 27Then He said to the disciple, “Here is your mother.� So from that hour, this disciple took her into his home.…-John 19:26

Jesus affectionately was given His friend and perhaps favorite disciple His mother. It was an act of love toward both of them. He was passing His wonderful (full of grace and all generations shall call you blessed) mother to His dear friend AND in doing so He was asking His dear friend to look after His mother. And Scripture tells us from that day on John took her into His home.

This is a beautiful and loving scene in Scripture AND so significant because not only was He giving His mother to His friend, He was giving His mother to us – to all of us that day! THAT is what it means.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to post 3 by marco]
Jesus seems to have disregarded the commandment to honour thy parents.
Oh my, is that what you think? You are very mistaken. Jesus showed nothing but respect to Mary and Joseph. It is reading His responses in our modern take that is off putting to some. First, see my response to Falling Light above. That scene at the cross is a loving and affectionate one. No way around it.
He was exceptionally cold to his mother.
Nope. We see His love for her when He was dying on the cross and we see His love for her at the wedding feast of Cana. She asked Him to help at the wedding feast, as a typical woman and mother, she saw they were about to run out of wine. Mary, as any woman, notices details like this and asks her son, Jesus to help. Jesus’ response was nothing short of love and admiration for Mary. I can picture the smile on His face when He said, "Woman, why does this concern us? My hour has not yet come." He was basically saying to Mary, you do realize if I do this, everyone will now know who I am? Jesus turning the water into the wine was His first miracle. He basically was going public at this point. Jesus wanted to be sure Mary knew what she was asking and His concern shows in making sure she is ready for it. Things would never be the same once Jesus did this. And what happened? Did Jesus blow her request off? Did He dismiss her? No. He turned around and did exactly what she wanted Him to do. How could He refuse His mother? How can any of us refuse our mothers? That is love. In fact, their relationship was nothing short of adorable. Mary makes a request and then she tells the wine steward, “Do whatever He tells you.� This beautiful back and forth love and respect is incredible. I am in utter shock that you would read Scripture and claim Jesus was exceptionally cold to His mother. He honored her by even doing something as frivolous as providing wine at a wedding. Would it have been the end of the world if they ran out of wine at this wedding? It would have just been written off as a lame party. Didn’t Jesus have bigger fish to fry? But He did it because His mother asked Him too. Clearly, we are not reading the same book.

Also, many falsely conclude Jesus calling His mother woman was some derogatory comment, but that is absolutely not the case. That word in Hebrew means ‘madam’. It was a term of respect and endearment. Also, the word woman was used to parallel the term used in Genesis, “The Woman whose seed would crush the head of the serpent�

There is no warmth in any of his reported exchanges.
Wow, sorry, but I think you are so wrong. Their love for one another is evident in every exchange.
He went missing for THREE days in Jerusalem (where did he spend the nights?) and his distraught parents, on finding him, were given a cheeky reply about being on his "Father's business." That should have earned him a clip on the ear
His response was not cheeky. He was explaining to Mary & Joseph that He wasn’t disobeying them, rather they should have recognized He was doing what He was actually put here to do. The 5th Joyful Mystery of the Rosary is – the finding of the child Jesus in the temple. Because in fact it was joyful – not cold and cheeky. I have no doubt, Mary, like any human mother, was very scared and worried when she couldn’t find Jesus and I have no doubt when she did, she realized He was doing what she had been told He was brought here to do and proud and excited and happy and in awe of who He was, His mission, and her role in all of it. It is exactly then that she probably realized was the culmination of all that she had raised Him for. She had taught Him to read and write and changed His diapers and taken care of Him when He was sick or hungry and now she was being told she had done her job and He was ready. She had loved and prepared Him for what was to come – the bitter sweet time in any mother’s life when their child is off and running – ready now to spread their wings – all because of the love and nurturing you provided.

Oh, man Marco, I really think you miss it this time. Do you think you could possibly be wrong in your understanding of the love between Mary and Jesus? As a mother myself this saddens me.

marco
Savant

Post #6

Post by marco »

RightReason wrote:
You are very mistaken. Jesus showed nothing but respect to Mary and Joseph.
I don't see much father-son interaction between the Jesus and Joseph in the Bible. I don't see any at all in fact. The scene at the cross is possibly one of regret that he did little for her, as far as we see, and refused to entertain her when she asked to see him. He showed more concern for the woman taken in adultery. But we see things as we see them. You have the light of adoration turned on.
RightReason wrote:
We see His love for her at the wedding feast of Cana.
Love does not grudgingly comply. I look in vain for a SINGLE compliment he paid to Mary. There should be dozens, to set us a good example.
RightReason wrote:

I can picture the smile on His face when He said, "Woman, why does this concern us? My hour has not yet come."
We can imagine what we want. The words are far from warm and they are a tentative refusal at first.

RightReason wrote:

Wow, sorry, but I think you are so wrong. Their love for one another is evident in every exchange.
Well it is obviously not evident in the brief bits of reported dialogue. We can take the exchanges, as I do, to be chilly. And regardless of how you excuse it, a boy absenting himself from worried parents for THREE days is thoughtless and cruel. Love has nothing to do with it, since it is completely absent, except in the cold sense of doing his Father's business and neglecting human considerations.
RightReason wrote:
Oh, man Marco, I really think you miss it this time. Do you think you could possibly be wrong in your understanding of the love between Mary and Jesus? As a mother myself this saddens me.
As a boy I complied with the hymn: Bring flowers of the rarest - that asked us to steal flowers for Mary's altar. I had warm Catholic esteem for Mary as Mother and to a great extent it remains, but tinged now more with sympathy for her thankless role. She is an embarrassment to Jesus, an inconvenient truth shuffling in the background of his illuminated centre stage.

If my young son stayed away from home for three days without asking permission or informing me where he was, I would not view the action as loving, nor would any explanation suffice. Instead of apologising the young rogue effectively said it was none of their business. And also, later in his life, if I had travelled some distance to see him and he denied I was his father I would not hear this as love but coldness.

The isolated incident in childhood would admit of Christ's explanation were there some urgency involved in doing his father's business - but he waited another 18 years before doing anything else. His mission started at the age of 30. His boyhood escapade was thoughtless and rude and perhaps purposeless ostentation. Obviously if we accept Christ as infallibly kind, good, loving, generous, merciful and thoughtful, we have to ignore what is written and make up our own stories. I don't do that. Call Marco foolish if you must.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to marco]

Call Marco foolish if you must.

I never called you foolish. I’m just surprised and disappointed.

The scene at the cross is possibly one of regret that he did little for her as far as we see, and refused to entertain her when she asked to see him
Now, who is projecting?
,. He showed more concern for the woman taken in adultery.
He showed concern for the woman taken in adultery because the woman taken in adultery was in trouble – showing all the more He was a loving and caring person. Would be odd to not think He was loving and caring to His mother – that simply doesn’t jive.

Also, any book about someone’s life typically does not show the family moments shared before it gets to the part the person is known for. And how could it? Most family moments are hidden and private. Yet, those family moments are significant and vital.

What do you think went on those first 30 years? There is a beautiful mystery in those silent years that Scripture writes nothing about. For 30 years it was Jesus, Mary, & Joseph. This is significant in recognizing the importance of the family. Am I to believe Jesus, Mary, and Joseph did not share normal family experiences? Do you honestly believe they didn’t laugh, tell jokes? Do you seriously think Mary did not read Jesus bed time stories? Teach Him His Hebrew alphabet? Do you think Joseph never played ball with Jesus? Why would you ever think that? It isn’t an assumption to believe and expect a family to love one another and be a family! It is the extreme rare occasion when they don’t!
I had warm Catholic esteem for Mary as Mother and to a great extent it remains, but tinged now more with sympathy for her thankless role. She is an embarrassment to Jesus, an inconvenient truth shuffling in the background of his illuminated centre stage.
Oh, Marco the modern day feminist movement has gotten to you too? You think just because Mary, as many mothers are, was in the background that makes her weak and you are sad for her? Should she have done something more significant for you? Her raising Jesus wasn’t enough? She should have run for town council in Nazareth to impress you? Had her own business? She should have wanted center stage? Contrary to false feminist belief motherhood is not chains and shackles. Some of us enjoy our role and respect its significance, which is more than I can say for most.

Even Mel Gibson was able to show us examples of exchanges that would have occurred between mother and son. Again, these are not leaps – it would be a leap to suggest things like this did not occur.

I really don’t think your version is logical and I am surprised that you hold it.

marco
Savant

Post #8

Post by marco »

RightReason wrote:
For 30 years it was Jesus, Mary, & Joseph. This is significant in recognizing the importance of the family. Am I to believe Jesus, Mary, and Joseph did not share normal family experiences? Do you honestly believe they didn’t laugh, tell jokes? Do you seriously think Mary did not read Jesus bed time stories? Teach Him His Hebrew alphabet? Do you think Joseph never played ball with Jesus? Why would you ever think that? It isn’t an assumption to believe and expect a family to love one another and be a family! It is the extreme rare occasion when they don’t!
Normality isn't a characteristic of Christ. Boys don't vanish for three days and tell their parents they should have expected such behaviour. I know there is a verse: Jesus wept but I don't know one that says Jesus laughed. A couple of sentences, prior to Christ's wandering on the shore to collect disciples, might have mentioned his "happy family". Anna Karenina starts: "“All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.� We have no idea how unhappy Christ made his parents or his siblings. We are not told. Ascribing normality to a family visited by angels and wise men isn't necessarily correct. We know nothing about the hidden life. I make deductions from Christ's chilly statements. You assume Christ was good, and ignore the chill.

The Mary our artists have invented is nowhere near the ghostly woman in the Bible. We know more about Constantine's pious mother than we do about the mother of Christ. If indeed she was marked out as special, she has absolutely nothing to say to us. Her account of the Annunciation would have been interesting. She is pushed aside and remains silent, not even allowed a sad comment on her son's crucifixion. If she was loved there is scant evidence of it, except in our expectations.

Falling Light 101
Apprentice

Marys ROLE -

Post #9

It seems that Jesus treated everyone the same.

REMEMBER : - That Mary His mother was not mentioned as having involvement in the ministry of Jesus.

Catholics have no Idea who Mary really was.

They just imagine whatever they wish and call it fact.

Roman Catholics also have changed their Bible Translation as well.

Let's take a look at the Douay Rheims Catholic Translation.

Luk 1:28
And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women

Luk 1:28 And G2532 the G3588 angel G32 came in G1525 unto G4314 her, G846 and said, G2036 Hail, G5463 thou that art highly favoured, 5487 the G3588 Lord G2962 is with G3326 thee: G4675

What the ORIGINAL MANUSCRIPTS are AUCTUALLY saying is ------------- -

και� And ὁ, ἡ, το� The Angel εἰσε��χομαι came in π�ο�ς unto ὁ, ἡ, το� Her ἐ�πω saying χαι��ω rejoice χα�ιτο�ω the grace ὁ, ἡ, το� of the κυ��ιος Lord μετα� is with σοῦ You

The Angel tells Mary to REJOICE and THE GRACE - Of The lord is With You.

This Word GRACE means to be Thankful as well. 2Ti 1:3 I thank God, whom I serve. This is the Greek word GRACE in the Translation.

The term means that GOD HIMSELF GRACES

it is used also in Rom 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed.

Mary was receiving the GRACE OF GOD to be thankful and rejoice at the command of the Angel. and The angel was telling Her to rejoice The GRACE of The Lord Is With You.

The Word that Roman Catholics have Lied about, Perverted and Changed is adding the Phraze " Mary HERSELF is FILLED - FULL OF GRACE " into the translation.

This is a lie. This Word is NEVER once USED to indicate that Anyone BUT GOD ALONE - is FILLED with GRACE

Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

This Greek word Chairō is in Your translation the word " HAIL " and this Greek word chairō is used 75 times in the manuscripts.

This Word simply means REJOICE or HAPPY or JOY. The word HAIL was inserted into the translation by the translators.

Cheerio Mary. Be happy, Cheers Mary
Here is how this Greek word chairō / χαι��ω is used in the Bible. It is - { Used as HAIL By The Translators in Luk 1:28}

Mat 2:10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy. This word joy is the same eXact Greek word “ Hail “ in Hail Mary - Luk 1:28

Mat 5:12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven
This word Rejoice is the same eXact Greek word “ Hail “ in Hail Mary - Luk 1:28

1Th 5:16 Rejoice evermore.

Col 1:24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you.

This Greek word Cheerio or Cheer - is the word that is translated as
H A I L . . .... Mary. :
The word Hail in the ORIGINAL Simply the Word Joy, Rejoice or Happiness or happy Greetings - And Can be used to mean a Happy Howdy eXpression - It is used 75 times in the Manuscripts but Roman Catholics have no clue as to what it means.

The Angel was not telling Mary the SLANG Happy Howdy or Pleasant Greetings - But saying REJOICE. The GRACE Of The Lord Is With You.

Blessed You Are Among Women

G5463
χαι��ω
chairō / Cheerio / khah'ee-ro
A primary verb; to be full of “cheer�, happy or well off; impersonal especially as a salutation (on meeting or parting), be well: be glad, joy (-fully), rejoice.

Rom 16:20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

marco
Savant

Re: Marys ROLE -

Post #10

Post by marco »

Falling Light 101 wrote:

The Word that Roman Catholics have Lied about, Perverted and Changed is adding the Phraze " Mary HERSELF is FILLED - FULL OF GRACE " into the translation.
It is absurd to suggest Saint Jerome lied in translating into Latin. He conveyed the meaning of the word, which expressed a passive completed action on Mary and the phrase "gratia plena" seems a perfecly innocuous rendering. It does not of itself alone justify the dogma of the Immaculate Conception, but it certainly shows Mary was endowed with God's grace and favour. I think you are making a mountain of a molehill.

In any event, what the angel may or may not have said, in whatever form, is mere speculation.