The kingdom of God.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Checkpoint
Prodigy

The kingdom of God.

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

Some seem to think it is entirely future, while others give the impression they are always thinking of it as present, and to not be looking at the future in kingdom terms at all.

Jesus had much to say about the kingdom, including this:
Luke 16:

6 The Law and the Prophets were until John; since then the good news of the kingdom of God is preached, and everyone is being zealously urged into it.
So, where do you stand as to whether it is present, future, or has both a present and a future aspect?

On what basis?

According to which scriptures?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #451

Post by onewithhim »

dio9 wrote: The kingdom of God is nothing more than the spiritual enlightenment of each individual in this time and at this place in history.
Forgive me if I don't remember you having done this before---but would you explain to me how Isaiah 9:6,7 and Daniel 2:44 are referring to some kind of enlightenment within each individual? Aren't they referring to a government?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #452

Post by JehovahsWitness »

marco wrote:They may well apply to modern disciples but it would be presumptuous automatically to assume one has that authority and then dismiss others from the standpoint of apostolic eminence.
Emphasis MINE

I don't know what you mean by "apostolic eminence". No Jehovah's Witness believes they have the same authority as the Apostles if that's what you mean. I think that might be a Catholic teaching.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #453

Post by Checkpoint »

onewithhim wrote:
dio9 wrote: The kingdom of God is nothing more than the spiritual enlightenment of each individual in this time and at this place in history.
Forgive me if I don't remember you having done this before---but would you explain to me how Isaiah 9:6,7 and Daniel 2:44 are referring to some kind of enlightenment within each individual? Aren't they referring to a government?
Your two passages are about a king and a kingdom.

Sure, that king and that kingdom have a government.

In a similar sense, they bring "spiritual enlightenment to each individual".

However, the kingdom of God is no more "spiritual enlightenment" as such than it is "a government" as such.

And vice-versa!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #454

[Replying to post 451 by Checkpoint]

Well I cannot disagree with you that the KING (Jesus) has bought spiritual enlightenment to his subjects (Jehovah's people) but he will also kill off the wicked, destroy all human governments and replace them with his own government that will ensure that only the meek inherit this our planet earth and at long last all war, suffering and sickness end on this earth.

So while Jehovah's people do enjoy spiritual enlightenment now, there are many more blessings to come for people of goodwill when his government takes over control of the planet. This is the good news of the kingdom true Chrisitans preach from door to door, on the street, to friends and neighbours and wherever people can be found. As per their commission.

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #455

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 451 by Checkpoint]

Well I cannot disagree with you that the KING (Jesus) has bought spiritual enlightenment to his subjects (Jehovah's people) but he will also kill off the wicked, destroy all human governments and replace them with his own government that will ensure that only the meek inherit this our planet earth and at long last all war, suffering and sickness end on this earth.

So while Jehovah's people do enjoy spiritual enlightenment now, there are many more blessings to come for people of goodwill when his government takes over control of the planet. This is the good news of the kingdom true Chrisitans preach from door to door, on the street, to friends and neighbours and wherever people can be found. As per their commission.

JW
Yes, King Jesus has his subjects, and is adding to them daily, as he has done for many centuries.

His commission is to people his kingdom with those who will one day inherit a new heaven and a new earth in which there will be no suffering and death, and in which only righteousness dwells.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #456

Checkpoint wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 451 by Checkpoint]

JW
Yes, King Jesus has his subjects, and is adding to them daily, as he has done for many centuries.
Indeed, I'm one of his subjects (as indeed are 8 million other Jehovah's Witnesses) so I cannot deny that number is daily growing (about 30 a day I do believe).... Of course I'm sure you also agree the earth isn't yet free of cancer, hunger, war and violence so there are many blessings yet to come for the meek that will inherit the earth.

Or are we living the dream now? Is this earth under fighting human governments full of hospitals, hunger pain, rape, racism and suffering the best God and his designated King can manage?

JW

tam
Savant

Post #457

Post by tam »

Peace to you!
2timothy316 wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
showme wrote: Plus the JW have the mark of the beast, which precludes ruling with "Christ" (Revelation 20:4).
What do you mean Jehovah's Witnesses have "the mark of the beast"? I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses, are you saying I have "the mark of the beast", what do you mean by that?
I think someone doesn't know what 'beasts' represent in the Bible. They don't represent religions. They represent governments.
The beasts (and the seven heads) actually do represent religions. I can see how one might mistake the beasts (and the heads on the beast) as representing governments. Religions and governments tend to go hand in hand. And religion - which people tend to listen to more than their governments - are certainly not going to teach their people that the Beast which comes up out of the sea (or the earth) is... well... themselves. One also cannot teach what one does not know.

Is it not religion that the Adversary uses to persecute the holy ones, starting with Christ? For instance, Pilate (the government) did not concern himself with Christ, nor did Pilate want Christ killed. Pilate wanted to release Him, not execute Him. Pilate even had written "King of the Jews" over Christ at his crucifixion. On the other hand, the priests (the religion) at that time are the ones who persecuted and judged and handed Christ over to Pilate to be tried and executed. Pilate did what they wanted.

And what did Christ say?

"... the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin."

(don't get me wrong... the temple and priesthood given to Moses for Israel had indeed been sanctioned by God. It was meant to lead TO Christ, the TRUE Temple in whom the spirit of God dwells. But He did not institute another religion; He said that the true worshipers whom the Father desires are those who worship in spirit and in truth.)

You will suggest perhaps that Babylon the Great is the world empire of [false] religion. Yet she cannot be the world empire of [false] religion. Consider:

BTG claims to sit enthroned as a queen who will never be a widow, and who will never mourn.

In her heart she boasts, 'I sit enthroned as queen. I am not a widow; I will never mourn.' Revelation 18:7

BTG boasts in her heart that she sits enthroned as a queen... because she believes herself to be the Bride of the King (Christ). She boasts that she will never be a widow, that she will never mourn... because Christ - whose Bride she believes herself to be - is a King who will never die.

If it were true that she were married to a King who will never die, then she would never be a widow in mourning. But she is not the Bride of the King (Christ) despite her claims.

Religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism do not claim to be married to the King (Christ). Not that these are true religions (there is no such thing), but they are not BTG.

BTG is the great city, made of people - the same as New Jerusalem is a city made of people, except that New Jerusalem actually IS the Bride. Whereas BTG is unfaithful to the King she promised herself to. She has had union with kings of the earth (religious or political) and produced many daughters (others sects and denominations in Christendom).

Hence, Christ calls,

"Come out of her, my people! So that you will not share in her sins or receive any of her plagues."

May anyone who thirsts and anyone who wishes, "Come! Take the free gift of the water of life!"

(Which water is holy spirit, poured out from Christ, given to Him without end from His Father.)

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #458

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness]
Or are we living the dream now? Is this earth under fighting human governments full of hospitals, hunger pain, rape, racism and suffering the best God and his designated King can manage?
Who says, or thinks, that?

Sometimes it is rather hard to take you seriously, JW.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #459

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 454 by JehovahsWitness]
Of course I'm sure you also agree the earth isn't yet free of cancer, hunger, war and violence so there are many blessings yet to come for the meek that will inherit the earth.

Or are we living the dream now?
Nor will the earth be so blessed during the millennium, but only afterwards.

That dream will only become reality when the old order of things, including the millennium, has passed away.

Revelation 21:1-5.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #460

Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 454 by JehovahsWitness]
Of course I'm sure you also agree the earth isn't yet free of cancer, hunger, war and violence so there are many blessings yet to come for the meek that will inherit the earth.

Or are we living the dream now?
Nor will the earth be so blessed during the millennium, but only afterwards.

That dream will only become reality when the old order of things, including the millennium, has passed away.

Revelation 21:1-5.

The important thing is that "the earth WILL be blessed" eventually, that we are not living the full accomplishment of those blessings at present. The coming blessings is a message good news of good things to come and Jehovah's Witnesses are preaching this message.

I'm sure you're not against publicising such a positive message.