Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Why is god in hiding?

Post #1

Post by JJ50 »

If the Biblical god exists why does it hide away, making its existence a matter of faith not reality?

Those who claim there is evidence that god exists, can never provide that evidence.

Savant

Re: Why is god in hiding?

Post #31

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote: … The problem is God is impossible, …
Please explain, why do you think so?
Willum wrote:If God is love, then he is only our feelings. Then... so... what?
True love is not feeling, at least not in Biblical point of view.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #32

Post by Justin108 »

marco wrote:
Given that this is Christianity and Apologetics and since the OP didn't specify non-Christian gods of other mythologies, my assumption is that the OP is dealing with the God of Christianity. And the God of Christianity is an omnipotent being.
I see. But of course the Bible is not authoritative here.
I don't recall mentioning the Bible?
marco wrote:
It's not so much a "do what I say, God!". Rather a "please, if you truly want me to believe in you, I would like you to do the following". It's not an order, it's a request.
Of course we are paddling in hypothetical silliness but let's play. The God you address would be capable of making you believe he had complied with your request. A very intelligent being might have that capability too, since hypnotists have it.
Well if that's the case, then I wouldn't be able to resist. I don't really see how this matters in terms of the OP. Are you saying God is hiding because he has the ability to mind control us into believing in him? How are the two related? It's a non sequitur. If God is against mind control, then he's obviously free to use other convincing means that do not rely on mind control.

And if aliens use mind control, then how can we resist? Are you saying people would doubt God because what if God is actually an alien using mind control? That would be impossible since how would we be able to doubt this fake god at all if we are under mind control? There wouldn't be anyone thinking "what if aliens are mind controlling us?" because that line of thought would only be possible if aliens were not mind controlling us. We wouldn't be able to form these conspiracies if aliens were actually mind controlling us.
marco wrote:
I don't see what it actually adds to the debate?
I was unsuccessfully illustrating that we have our own built-in image of God and it is that image we are addressing hypothetically
Yes and my image of God, one that's shared by the vast majority of the world, is one that is omnipotent. Some would go as far as to suggest that it is part of the very definition of God to be omnipotent. If you want to add a "what if God wasn't omnipotent?" clause, then I'm not interested. Once we start with needless what-ifs, this debate will go on forever.

marco
Savant

Post #33

Post by marco »

[Replying to post 32 by Justin108]

Ah, so we are assuming the existence of an omnipotent God in accordance with some human-designed concept. We are then hypothetically having deity visit and we present him with some test and we then stand back and judge his success on offering the shibboleth.

The question "Why is god (sic) hiding?" has umpteen speculative answers. He doesn't want to advertise; he wants us to discover on our own, he is busy, he doesn't hide - we just don't see clearly and so on.

If, as I suppose, the question is posed to suggest that he's not hiding at all - he is not there, then all sorts of answers should be allowed, including an analysis of what we understand by the notion of God.

It would seem you are designing the answer as well as the question.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #34

Post by Justin108 »

marco wrote: [Replying to post 32 by Justin108]

Ah, so we are assuming the existence of an omnipotent God in accordance with some human-designed concept.
Yes. For the following reasons
1. God is, more often than not, defined as omnipotent
2. This is the Christianity and Apologetics sub-forum. As the OP did not specify other gods, the default is to assume the OP is talking about the Christian God (which, again, is almost always defined as omnipotent)
marco wrote:We are then hypothetically having deity visit and we present him with some test and we then stand back and judge his success on offering the shibboleth.
Again, you seem to be phrasing it as a command whereas I phrase it as a humble request for the deity, if he truly wishes us to believe in him, that he prove it.
marco wrote: It would seem you are designing the answer as well as the question.
I'm sure the above two reasons for why I specify an omnipotent God is enough. If you insist, you can always ask the OP to define "God"; specifically whether "God" is omnipotent or not.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #35

Post by JJ50 »

For a supposedly omnipotent god it has screwed up pretty badly!

Willum
Savant

Post #36

Post by Willum »

Perhaps he is hiding because if anyone actually found him, they'd probably rip him a new one.

I mean if you met such an incredible creature, would you allow it to live, or would you, in the name of all the torture inflicted on mankind, end the miserable, snarky, callous, petulant creatures existence?

marco
Savant

Post #37

Post by marco »

Justin108 wrote:
This is the Christianity and Apologetics sub-forum. As the OP did not specify other gods, the default is to assume the OP is talking about the Christian God (which, again, is almost always defined as omnipotent)
And how do we know this? Yes, from the Bible. And the Bible here is not authoritative so we are permitted to challenge ideas about God. You, however, wish to retain a certain picture and you wish people to restrict their attention to the picture you paint.

It is not possible for anyone on planet Earth to answer the question you pose. Given an omnipotent God exists, we don't know why he is motivated to pick apples rather than pears or speak to Jim and not to Jane.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #38

Post by Justin108 »

marco wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
This is the Christianity and Apologetics sub-forum. As the OP did not specify other gods, the default is to assume the OP is talking about the Christian God (which, again, is almost always defined as omnipotent)
And how do we know this? Yes, from the Bible.
I'm not using the Bible as an authority to prove God exists. I'm using it as a reference to the character of God. We are discussing the character of God. How do you suppose we do this without referencing the source material?

We are discussing the character of God in Christianity. The OP assumes, for argument sake, that the character of God exists. Just as I cannot discuss the character of Voldemort without referencing the Harry Potter books, I cannot discuss the character of God without referencing the Bible. And strictly speaking, I never outright reference the Bible. I referenced Christianity, who in turn reference the Bible. I reference Christianity because, again, this is Christianity and Apologetics. Are we supposed to not mention anything about Christianity and Christian beliefs in thus sub-forum?

Furthermore, as I've also pointed out, the vast majority of people, even non-Christians, define God as omnipotent. So I didn't even have to reference the Bible, whether directly or indirectly. Even if we were to imagine a God completely detached from Christianity, he would still be considered omnipotent by most people. Why you take issue with this, I have no idea. At this point it seems like you're arguing for the sake of arguing. If you don't like discussing the idea of an omnipotent god, then just stop talking to me. That's my definition of God. That's the definition I'm working with. And I am in no way alone in that regard.
marco wrote:You, however, wish to retain a certain picture and you wish people to restrict their attention to the picture you paint.
I did not paint this picture! What part of "vast majority" do you not understand? I adapted the most common view of God, and the most common view is one in which God is omnipotent. I am not painting a picture, I am merely referencing the most popular existing picture. You make it sound like I'm making attributes for God up as I go along.
marco wrote: It is not possible for anyone on planet Earth to answer the question you pose.
Needless to say, this topic obviously requires speculation. If you want to shy away from a discussion because no one can accurately answer the question, then you might as well stay off this forum because half the questions on this site are questions no one knows the answer to. We are literally discussing the existence of God. Point me to one person alive who knows the answer to that question.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #39

Post by JJ50 »

No one can say for sure no god exists, but the Biblical god is no more credible than Voldemort in the Harry Potter books, which are a much better read than that no so good book.

BTW what is the point of tokens?

marco
Savant

Post #40

Post by marco »

Justin108 wrote:

I'm not using the Bible as an authority to prove God exists. I'm using it as a reference to the character of God. We are discussing the character of God. How do you suppose we do this without referencing the source material?
Simply by allowing various interpretations of God to offer an answer to your question.
Justin108 wrote:
Just as I cannot discuss the character of Voldemort without referencing the Harry Potter books, I cannot discuss the character of God without referencing the Bible.
Obviously this is false since we can extract characteristics of the Abrahamic God from sources other than the Bible. If you are meticulously seeking answers in the pages of the Bible you are, as I said, imposing limitations on your answers.
Justin108 wrote:
If you don't like discussing the idea of an omnipotent god, then just stop talking to me. That's my definition of God. That's the definition I'm working with. And I am in no way alone in that regard.
I am happy to discuss an omnipotent God. I was merely observing that you were imposing restrictions on answers. A list of your restrictions would have been helpful.
Justin108 wrote:
Needless to say, this topic obviously requires speculation. If you want to shy away from a discussion because no one can accurately answer the question, then you might as well stay off this forum because half the questions on this site are questions no one knows the answer to. We are literally discussing the existence of God. Point me to one person alive who knows the answer to that question.

But we are not discussing the existence of God since your restrictions block this avenue, sadly. Nor am I opposing speculation. What I am saying is that if you define God in strict terms and then ask people why your defined God isn't talking it would be strange if they knew. There are some good speculative answers but unfortunately you forbid them. Perhaps the best approach would be to ask Yahweh himself and then let us know what he says.