Problem previewing a comment

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

peterk
Student

Problem previewing a comment

Post #1

Post by peterk »

Hi. I am a recent member, and I've just tried to create my first comment for a thread. I was quoting an earlier reply, so thought I would click Preview to check the layout. It doesn't work. All I get is a brief flicker of the preview and then it reverts to the edit pane.

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

What browser and version are you using?

peterk
Student

Post #3

Post by peterk »

[Replying to otseng]

Google Chrome.
Version 64.0.3282.167 (which Chrome says is up to date).

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

peterk wrote: [Replying to otseng]

Google Chrome.
Version 64.0.3282.167 (which Chrome says is up to date).
Hmm, I have the same version on my Mac and the preview is working for me. Do you have any extensions that might be causing a conflict?

wiploc
Guru

Re: Problem previewing a comment

Post #5

Post by wiploc »

peterk wrote: Hi. I am a recent member, and I've just tried to create my first comment for a thread. I was quoting an earlier reply, so thought I would click Preview to check the layout. It doesn't work. All I get is a brief flicker of the preview and then it reverts to the edit pane.
I hadn't noticed this, because I never use Preview. I just post, and then review what I posted so I can correct errors.

Otherwise, see, when I'm done reviewing and correcting after previewing, I forget to post, losing my work entire.

After doing that a couple of times, I just started posting first and editing after.

In any case, I have the same problem: No preview. Just a flicker and a return to the editing window.

This is no problem for me, for the above reason. I'm just reporting on the issue in case it helps someone else. I use Windows 10 and Firefox.

---

Edited to add: Ignore all of that. I think your solution is just to scroll upwards after clicking Preview.

peterk
Student

Post #6

Post by peterk »

I have a red face and an answer to my problem. I have discovered that in this forum the preview is programmed to be at the top of the page, which is opposite to other forums I am on. When I clicked the Preview button, my browser displayed the preview then immediately jumped back to the typing box. In looking for the preview I scrolled down the page, never up. :( (Until I accidentally went too far the other way and bingo...)

As for the Firefox post, I'm not sure if the issue is this or something different.

Thanks for those who took the time to consider my (non-existent) problem.