Is changing a physical law like changing a speed limit sign?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Neatras
Guru

Is changing a physical law like changing a speed limit sign?

Post #1

Post by Neatras »

dad wrote: Changing some laws on earth is more like changing a speed limit sign.
Is the above true? If so, how does one demonstrate this to be the case?

If not, what are some physical consequences of changing a physical law outside of what one might expect?

My debate position is this: It is extremely uneducated and willfully ignorant to believe that changing a physical law only affects a limited domain of physical phenomena. For example, changing the speed of light to be faster doesn't just affect how quickly light reaches us; it also affects how quickly particles interact, the energy required for all physical interactions, and other sundry details that would, in essence, be very telling if they suddenly altered in an instant.

However, I am aware that both dad and Kent Hovind maintain that God is some sort of master engineer, complete with a box and dials that he can play with, turning some physical laws on and off while the rest remains unaffected. This is a position maintained by and expressed via ignorance and incredulity, with no physical basis or rationale behind it besides "God is awesome enough to get away with it."

So, any creationists wanna try and put it across that changing a physical law is like changing a speed limit sign?

Still small
Apprentice

Post #121

Post by Still small »

[Replying to post 119 by brunumb]
That whole paragraph beggars belief. I don't accept a word of it. You may call it denial bias but I woukld call it lying for Jesus.
If I'm accused of being a liar when I state anything which you refuse to accept, then there is no point in taking our debate any further. Denial is not proof of falsity.
Thank you.

Have a good day!
Still small

brunumb
Savant

Post #122

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 120 by Still small]

One must also remember that the One you are expecting to do such appearances is the Creator God of the entire universe and deserving of suitable respect, not some clown to perform tricks at your command.
Respect must be earned and should not given just because someone is powerful. The Christian God does not deserve respect. It's behaviour in the Bible is actually somewhat clownish. Based on its alleged abilities and knowledge the things it has done are more appropriately attributed to a second rate magician. Plagues of frogs and locusts? Talking donkeys and burning bushes? Laughable. Not so laughable are the unnecessary acts of barbarism scattered throughout the Bible. No, this God of yours does not deserve respect simply because it has the skills to make a universe.

:study:

TSGracchus
Scholar

Post #123

Post by TSGracchus »

Hi Dad! Fancy meeting you here.

[quote: Dad]Science doesn't so much as know what the forces actually are or what causes them. The idea was not that some force in our world or nature could be changed by us. The idea was asking if the One who created it all could change all nature on earth[/quote].

If that is the question, then the question assumes facts not in evidence. In other words the question is based on unwarranted assumptions.

kcplusdc@yahoo.com
Apprentice

Just throwing it out there

Post #124

Post by kcplusdc@yahoo.com »

As I understand it some scientist believe that the speed of light may not have been constant in the beginning of the big bang.
One such fellow has even devised a way to test this theory...

A quick Google search can validate that this is an idea physists are putting energy into and not the impossibility as claimed here in.

Think the jury is still out on this idea, so I will wait and see.