Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Is the Catholic Church infallible?

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

RightReason wrote: But it’s in Scripture. “He who hears you, hears me� “Whatever you bind on earth, shall be bound in heaven�. The Church is the ‘pillar and foundation of truth’ – all Scriptural! This IS how we are hear Christ.
Do these verses refer to the Catholic Church specifically? Is the Catholic Church infallible?

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #101

Post by brianbbs67 »

Going back to the OP.

I will say again what I said then.

No person, church, or institution of man is Infallible.

We don't have enough knowledge or wisdom to even remotely claim that.

"all fall short of the glory of God"

The seeking of truth and thereby wisdom, is what we do. Wisdom is the first thing God tells us to pray for. Because, it leads to knowledge, and will be like a "tree of life to you".

marco
Savant

Post #102

Post by marco »

onewithhim wrote:

A person has to be sorry for what he did, that is, true repentance, and then he would not ever to do such a thing again. If a person is not repentant, he will not be forgiven. Why let a person live when they will keep doing wicked things over and over? Is that fair to the people around them who want to be good?
You are using the reasoning that the Church uses; making reasonable guesses at what God expects. Your question is best answered by noting that the ways of God are not for our evaluation.
onewithhim wrote: Also, I have to bring attention to the fact, once again, that no one is in a fiery hell. "Hell" is the common grave of mankind, and Judas was put there after he died. He is probably "in" Gehenna as well, even though it isn't a specific PLACE. It is the condition of being completely annihilated....to be no longer in existence.
This again is a nice piece of deduction but it does not fit the facts presented to us. If it were better that a man were not born, perpetual nothingness makes no sense of the statement, since a lifetime of something - happiness, love, pain, surprise... is clearly better than eternal oblivion. A corpse has no regret. To paraphrase Tennyson: Better to have lived and lost than never to have lived at all.
onewithhim wrote:
That is what Jesus meant when he said that the wicked were liable to Gehenna. They would end up just like the trash in the burning garbage dump---nothing left of them.
What Jesus said and what you think he meant seem to be at variance. Atheists believe that the grave gives nothing back. Your view of no punishment for wickedness, other than eternal rest, is what the atheist would expect. It does not suggest gnashing teeth or wishing one had never been born. It is the philosophy of "carpe diem", of gathering rosebuds while we may, and it seems a far cry from Christ's words of warning.
Last edited by marco on Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

tam
Savant

Post #103

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Jack wrote: [Replying to post 97 by brianbbs67]

I agree with you but Judas Iscariots actions don't show repentance. He killed himself, he wouldn't face the others after his fall. Instead he comments another sin by murdering himself.

But his actions do show repentance. He tried to give back the money that he had earned for betraying Christ, and he states aloud that he has spilled innocent blood. If he had tried to keep the money then that would render his words as being insincere. But that is not what happened. (and those priests that he went to showed no mercy or compassion)

Then he killed himself. People don't tend to commit suicide unless their pain (mental or physical) is too much for them to bear (and/or if they are mentally unhealthy). Does anyone really doubt that Judas wished at that time that he had never been born?

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

onewithhim
Savant

Post #104

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 102 by marco]

So be it. There is your viewpoint and there is my viewpoint, and never the twain shall meet. (Sigh.)