What did Paul mean?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

What did Paul mean?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped
For debate:

What did Paul mean when he said Christ was "in the form of God"?

-Aren't we all made in the image of God?
-Did Paul believe that Christ was God? Or that Christ was God in disguise?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

onewithhim
Savant

Re: What did Paul mean?

Post #51

Post by onewithhim »

Monta wrote:
ttruscott wrote:
Tart wrote:People can be made up by a body, a mind, and a soul... Or made up as blood muscles, and bone... Or limbs, head, and torso
This attack of the 'GOD in three persons' doctrine is considered a heresy by most Christians under the name of Sabellianism or modalism.
What Tart said is spot-on - body mind and soul.
And we are not three persons are we.

In God we have three attributes:
Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit.
It has been said over and again that Trinity believers say that the Father, Son and H.S. are three separate and distinct persons, not just "attributes.

bluethread
Savant

Post #52

Post by bluethread »

onewithhim wrote: Do you agree that if one person has authority over another that they are not EQUAL in authority?
Well, you are biasing the discussion by speaking of one "person" having authority over another. One can say that the brain has authority over the body, however, that does not mean that the brain is a seperate entity. In fact, the majority of the nervous system is dispersed throughout the body. Equality is overrated. It is not an absolute. It is a comparative and is only useful when one is focusing on a very narrow characteristic in a very narrow circumstance.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #53

Post by onewithhim »

bluethread wrote:
onewithhim wrote: Do you agree that if one person has authority over another that they are not EQUAL in authority?
Well, you are biasing the discussion by speaking of one "person" having authority over another. One can say that the brain has authority over the body, however, that does not mean that the brain is a seperate entity. In fact, the majority of the nervous system is dispersed throughout the body. Equality is overrated. It is not an absolute. It is a comparative and is only useful when one is focusing on a very narrow characteristic in a very narrow circumstance.
The trinitarians (the vast majority of them) say that the Father is one person, Jesus is one person, and the H.S. is one person. That is three PERSONS. Not just attributes of one person.

Monta
Guru

Re: What did Paul mean?

Post #54

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 51 by onewithhim]

"It has been said over and again that Trinity believers say that the Father, Son and H.S. are three separate and distinct persons, not just "attributes."

Thank goodness I did not jump to accept any over and over.

ATTRIBUTE: attribution, character, characteristic, criterion, differentia, feature, fingerprint, hallmark, mark, marker, note, particularity, peculiarity, point, property, quality, specific, stamp, touch, trait.

Attribute of the Father is Divine Love
Attribute of the Son is Divine Truth/Wisdom
Attribute of the Holy Spirit is Proceeding Divine (into the human mind)

Jesus promised to send the Comforter 'who will take of me'
while He Jesus (Truth) takes from the Father (love).

God is One. So are we as image and likeness.

We have love and affections but can not function without knowledges of facts, truth, information; and the third aspect is putting it to use.

bluethread
Savant

Post #55

Post by bluethread »

onewithhim wrote:
bluethread wrote:
The trinitarians (the vast majority of them) say that the Father is one person, Jesus is one person, and the H.S. is one person. That is three PERSONS. Not just attributes of one person.
OK, that is what Trinitarians say. However, I find the three "person"/one "person" argument a bit too simplistic. I do not think that the nature of Adonai can be adequately distilled into any simple analogy.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #56

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 55 by bluethread]
OK, that is what Trinitarians say. However, I find the three "person"/one "person" argument a bit too simplistic. I do not think that the nature of Adonai can be adequately distilled into any simple analogy.
I am curious.

Why have you chosen to use Adonai in particular as the God being discussed?