UK Sovereign and the Church of England

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

rikuoamero
Under Probation

UK Sovereign and the Church of England

Post #1

Post by rikuoamero »

Just something that I'm curious about, looking for clarification on. I understand that the UK Sovereign, i.e. Queen Elizabeth II and her successors, are the Supreme Governors of the Church of England.
Does this mean that a Sovereign can only ever be part of the CoE? Could someone who is the Sovereign convert to another religion and remain Sovereign in a secular sense? What if, hypothetically, Prince Charles tomorrow declares that he is now a Muslim or a Hindu. Is he then removed from the line of succession, and it passes to William?
I can understand if no-one has a firm answer, given that this is completely uncharted territory, but it's something I am curious about.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

DPMartin
Banned
Banned

Re: UK Sovereign and the Church of England

Post #2

Post by DPMartin »

rikuoamero wrote: Just something that I'm curious about, looking for clarification on. I understand that the UK Sovereign, i.e. Queen Elizabeth II and her successors, are the Supreme Governors of the Church of England.
Does this mean that a Sovereign can only ever be part of the CoE? Could someone who is the Sovereign convert to another religion and remain Sovereign in a secular sense? What if, hypothetically, Prince Charles tomorrow declares that he is now a Muslim or a Hindu. Is he then removed from the line of succession, and it passes to William?
I can understand if no-one has a firm answer, given that this is completely uncharted territory, but it's something I am curious about.

the King or Queen who ever is top dog so to speak is vicar of the Church, now if a candidate for the throne wasn't of the CoE it's most likely they could not serve in that capacity seeing it the Arch Bishop that performs the thronging ceremony.

I forget the prince during the 30's that went to marry a commoner or something to that effect, that also disqualified him for the throne. not being a CoE member in good standing would seem to rank higher on that scale of qualifications. a King or Queen agrees to be such which comes with conditions. brake the agreement and the country may have the right to remove someone from the throne.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: UK Sovereign and the Church of England

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by rikuoamero]

This article is from 2013 (the headline is misleading as the article actually says the question is under debate)
https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/ ... -Catholics

I think Princess Diana proved how welcoming the Royals would be of a Muslim family member.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by rikuoamero »

Thanks for both replies.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense