What does "Keeping the Sabbath" mean?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

What does "Keeping the Sabbath" mean?

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

Often people ask why Christians can, and should, so easily shelve one of the ten commandments as an old testament command; less often is the question asked, "What does keeping Sabbath entail?"

For this OP I ignore what the O.T. means by this command; it is obvious that by the 1st c. developments in Judaism had occurred which are not included in the O.T.

The question is, What did Paul mean by the "Sabbath observances" when he chastised the Galatians for keeping it?

Was Paul upset that Galatians weren't "opening shop", as it were, seven days a week? In which case, any Christian who gave his job an availability of Monday-Sat. would be departing from Paul's injunction.

Was Paul upset that the Galatians were adopting certain "measures" the day before Sabbath, measures similar to those contained in the Mishnah, i.e., collecting extra wood the day before; placing a ladder on the pigeon cage the day before; cooking enough food for 24 hours...?

Or was Paul upset that the Galatians felt these things made them part of God's people, where (for Paul) mere allegiance to Christ was sufficient?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: What does "Keeping the Sabbath" mean?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by liamconnor]

Do you have a specific reference (scripture) in the book of Galatians you are refering to?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Checkpoint »

The question is, What did Paul mean by the "Sabbath observances" when he chastised the Galatians for keeping it?
It is? He did?

Where did Paul say this, in Galatians or anywhere else?

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #4

Post by brianbbs67 »

liamconnor wrote: Often people ask why Christians can, and should, so easily shelve one of the ten commandments as an old testament command; less often is the question asked, "What does keeping Sabbath entail?"

To me, it means keeping the day of rest as God laid it out. Ie, not working, unless an emergency. It only follows that this is a good day for worship too.

For this OP I ignore what the O.T. means by this command; it is obvious that by the 1st c. developments in Judaism had occurred which are not included in the O.T.

Do you mean the Jews had added to the law so much it was impossible?

I just read Galations. Don't remember Sabbath reference. But, Paul is telling them not to be circumsized or follow the law.

Was Paul upset that Galatians weren't "opening shop", as it were, seven days a week? In which case, any Christian who gave his job an availability of Monday-Sat. would be departing from Paul's injunction.

Was Paul upset that the Galatians were adopting certain "measures" the day before Sabbath, measures similar to those contained in the Mishnah, i.e., collecting extra wood the day before; placing a ladder on the pigeon cage the day before; cooking enough food for 24 hours...?

Or was Paul upset that the Galatians felt these things made them part of God's people, where (for Paul) mere allegiance to Christ was sufficient?
Paul seems to state allegiance was all that was needed.[/b]

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by liamconnor »

It has been asked (and justly) what verse I have in mind with Paul.

The verse I have in mind:
You observe days and months and seasons and years. (Gal 4:10 NAS)
I fully grant that "Sabbath" does not occur linguistically. However, I think it is obvious that "Sabbath" would be included in "days". The Galatians were considering (or had already adopted) circumcision. Is it likely that they would adopt this, and would observe "days, months, and seasons" while neglecting one Jewish 'day' which happened to be in the decalogue?

Hence my reasoning that the Galatians were "observing the Sabbath" and that Paul repudiated them for doing so.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Checkpoint »

liamconnor wrote: [Replying to post 1 by liamconnor]

It has been asked (and justly) what verse I have in mind with Paul.

The verse I have in mind:
You observe days and months and seasons and years. (Gal 4:10 NAS)
I fully grant that "Sabbath" does not occur linguistically. However, I think it is obvious that "Sabbath" would be included in "days". The Galatians were considering (or had already adopted) circumcision. Is it likely that they would adopt this, and would observe "days, months, and seasons" while neglecting one Jewish 'day' which happened to be in the decalogue?

Hence my reasoning that the Galatians were "observing the Sabbath" and that Paul repudiated them for doing so.
Good verse and good points.

They may well have also been observing some Gentile times.

Paul expresses similar concerns in Colossians 2, and there specifies Jewish observances.

In both letters he says they are mere "principles of the world".

TripleZ
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by TripleZ »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by liamconnor]

Do you have a specific reference (scripture) in the book of Galatians you are referring to?
well, as a true believer I do not keep the " sabbath " I am not Jewish and even so, there is NO Temple for Jews to make themselves right with God ( yet ).. Their sinning/sins are therefore, never forgiven...yet. Until the Temple is rebuilt.
The " Letters " are only to messianic believers not to Judaism.

Wootah
Savant

Post #8

Post by Wootah »

It's about never losing sight of the end.

Focussing on the goal helps us get through the journey.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Checkpoint »

TripleZ wrote:

Do you have a specific reference (scripture) in the book of Galatians you are referring to?
well, as a true believer I do not keep the " sabbath " I am not Jewish and even so, there is NO Temple for Jews to make themselves right with God ( yet ).. Their sinning/sins are therefore, never forgiven...yet. Until the Temple is rebuilt.
The " Letters " are only to messianic believers not to Judaism.
Keeping the Sabbath and forgiveness are not dependent on the existence or absence of the Temple.

TripleZ
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by TripleZ »

Do you have a specific reference (scripture) in the book of Galatians you are refering to?
lol, Galatians is TO the Messianic Communities or if you like The ( one true ) Church.. however the sabbath is Judaism alone! How do even see the 2 being remotely related..to prove this, hear what Gods words says; ie
Mat 15:24 He said, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Isra'el." this is very clear and plain and simple English..

"In the beginning God [in the original Hebrew Elohim, a plural form of Eloah] created the heavens and the earth." (Genesis 1:1 RSV) (see The Seven Days Of Creation)
The mystery was the " church " and Yeshua was born in September on the 11th Day on the Hebrew/Jewish New Year 3BC...