Why aren't you a Christain?

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

ejh210

Why aren't you a Christain?

Post #1

Post by ejh210 »

I am writing a paper on why people have decided to reject Christianity and would like to have a discussion on that. If you were once a follower of Christ and are not now, what pushed you to make that decision?

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Why aren't you a Christain?

Post #11

Post by Divine Insight »

exposingchristianity wrote: When I think about what christianity did to my childhood I realise that it is not a religion of peace, but indoctrination.
I totally agree with this assessment.
exposingchristianity wrote: And finally, I found something better. I found the truth. You might think negatively about me now, but I found satanism. Satanism is a religion about spirituality, peace, love, respect and many other things.
I'm have also concluded that Christianity is nothing more than a man-made religion precisely designed to indoctrinate people to become followers and supporters of the religion itself.

However, I question your choice to now supporting "Satanism" as "Truth".

What truth are you talking about?

I was going to ask the following questions:

How do you view "Satanism"? Do you see it as a secular philosophy? Or do you view it as an actual "religion" complete with a deity that it supposedly correctly defines and/or describes? :-k

But I now see that these questions are already answered on the website you had linked to (a link that doesn't work by the way). :D

The Joy of Satan

The only problem I have with this entire narrative is that your Satan would need to be just as inept and ignorant as the God of the Christianity.

So I see Satanism as clearly nothing more than an attempt to spite Christianity even though it passionately claims that this is not the case.

It clearly can't be true for many of the same reasons that Christianity can't be true. This Satan God would be just as inept and ignorant as Jehovah, or Yahweh, or Allah.

Not only that, but to make apologies for Satan you would need to actually claim that Jehovah, Yahweh, or Allah are actual demons, just like Christianity claims that Satan is a demon.

So Satanism is clearly nothing more than an attempt to turn the Abrahamic religions on their head proclaiming that Satan is the real God and Jehovah is actually the devil.

Not only that but the religion you currently support asks people to "Dedicated their soul to Satan". This is just the same sort of indoctrination that you had originally despised.

So Satanism is clearly nothing more than an attempt to twist Christianity inside out and make Satan God and Yahweh the devil. :roll:

~~~~~

I'll agree that Christianity is most likely responsible for planting the seeds of resentment to cause people to create something like Satanism as a way to spite back at Christianity, but the idea that it has any merit is utterly absurd.

It precisely as absurd as Christianity itself. All it amounts to is Christianity twisted inside out. And now you are preaching the dogma of "indoctrination" for that religion.

Keep in mind that it was "indoctrination" that you were originally against. And now you are actively supporting indoctrination into Satanism. You've come full-circle to doing precisely what you despise.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

ejh210 wrote: I am writing a paper on why people have decided to reject Christianity and would like to have a discussion on that. If you were once a follower of Christ and are not now, what pushed you to make that decision?
When I was 13 I came to the conclusion that Christianity and religion in general are far too silly to be true. I didn't know a single other nonbeliever at the time. Fifty five years later I haven't changed my mind.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Danmark »

I am not a Christian in any orthodox sense for the same reason I don't believe in ghosts or Goblins or other fairy tales; lack of evidence. Tho' I was indoctrinated in the supernatural beliefs presented in the Bible and preached the gospel as a lay missionary, upon further investigation I failed to find external evidence to support those beliefs. What I found were too many inconsistencies and contradictions including the clear statements attributed to Jesus that he would return to Earth, coming from the clouds by circa 70 CE. When one chooses any belief system other than an empirical or scientific one, a person can believe anything.

wiploc
Guru

Post #14

Post by wiploc »

ejh210 wrote: I am writing a paper on why people have decided to reject Christianity and would like to have a discussion on that. If you were once a follower of Christ and are not now, what pushed you to make that decision?
Over at Talk Freethought, we had a lengthy deconversion thread. By far, the most common reason given was some variation on, "I finally sat down and read the bible."

I was never Christian myself, so the closest I can give you to a deconversion experience is the day I went to the city library and looked up the ontological, cosmological, and teleological arguments. They were so stupid!

They made me realize that theists don't have any good arguments. If they had good arguments, they wouldn't be relying on such bad ones.

So, on that day, I went from wishing I could figure out how to be a Christian to being content in my atheism.