Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Tart
Banned
Banned

"Preaching"

Post #1

Post by Tart »

You guys need to get some better established, objective kind of ruling about "preaching", becuase in the middle of debating, if we use scripture to make a point that it is true, that is borderline preaching and gets labeled "preaching" all the time...

But it is 100% necessary to use the scripture in order to determine whether or not that scripture is true and relevant... I mean atheist even use the scripture all the time, in the same way Christians use it, except they use scripture to make a point that it is false, when Christians do it to make a point its true... This rule is a double standard, and isnt well defined... and sometimes all it does is disrupt a debate...

peterk
Student

Post #11

Post by peterk »

Tart wrote: I mean becuase I can certainly try to be more aware of my wording... But it is just a petty wording issue... Right?
Yes it's a wording issue, but no it's not petty. The very nature of debate (I prefer to use the term 'dialogue') is that words have power and influence, so they need to be used wisely.

Here's another pattern that might help. Each time you are about to post, stop and ask yourself: Does the style of this post tell the other person what I believe? Or does it tell them what they should believe? If it's the first, well done. If it's the second, you're preaching.