Stephen Hawking has passed...

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

DeMotts
Scholar

Stephen Hawking has passed...

Post #1

Post by DeMotts »

Just broke on the news, Professor Stephen Hawking has passed away. He was an intellectual giant, and seemed almost immortal in a sense - I never really thought much about him dying despite having a famously incurable terminal illness. I feel the human race has today lost one of the titans of science. :(

Anyone care to share their opinions on Hawking? I'd be interested to hear what some of the theists have to say about the man. Ever since I read A Brief History of Time I've had a much greater interest in physics and cosmology. His approach to writing the book made it accessible for non-academics like myself to have an appreciation of the mysteries of the universe.

Thoughts?

Tcg
Savant

Post #31

Post by Tcg »

William wrote:
Once again you have got it wrong.

I am claiming knowledge about atheism, not Stephen.
Odd then that your claim was, "He did not do this because of 'atheism'." I assume the "He" you are making this claim about is indeed Stephen Hawking.

Do you have anything to say which points out my pure conjecture is incorrect?
As I have pointed out many times before in this ongoing discussion, it is your responsibility to support your claims. You've made a huge one here, what evidence can you provide to support it?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #32

Post by Bust Nak »

William wrote: [Replying to post 25 by Bust Nak]

Have no fear! No one is saying Stephen wasn't an atheist! :)
You'd be surprised how quickly the conversion story about Hawking popped up on the day he died, and people are still questioning, if not saying he wasn't an atheist.

William
Savant

Post #33

Post by William »

[Replying to post 32 by Bust Nak]
You'd be surprised how quickly the conversion story about Hawking popped up on the day he died, and people are still questioning, if not saying he wasn't an atheist.
Well the fuel for that fire would be in the items such as his gift to the homeless (if it were just the one-off thing rather than something he did often during his lifetime) those hungry homeless being attended to in a Christian setting, and him having a religious-based funeral with biblical readings.

But I don't personally give a hoot what others call him or even what he called himself, in the sense that I do not see the actions of an individual are explicitly relevant to what they call themselves anyway. :)

William
Savant

Post #34

Post by William »

[Replying to post 31 by Tcg]
Odd then that your claim was, "He did not do this because of 'atheism'." I assume the "He" you are making this claim about is indeed Stephen Hawking.
Odd that you conflate a persons stated position with a persons actions. The 'did not do this' is the relevant part. The action is what is being discussed. The only thing someone can do in relation to atheism is to choose not to believe in the existence of any GODs.

One cannot do what Stephen did because one is an 'atheist'. Atheism has nothing to do with it. That is the point being made. That is what has been explained to you and what - for reasons unknown - you seem unable to grasp and/or accept.

Monta
Guru

Post #35

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 34 by William]

"Atheism has nothing to do with it."

Atheism is about a belief.
Christianity is about what you become.

'By their fruits ye shall know them' are Jesus' words.
Love, mercy, kindness - not to be seen or admired but because you genuinely care for others, this takes you to heaven much quicker that that you've read Bible ten times.

William
Savant

Post #36

Post by William »

[Replying to post 35 by Monta]
"Atheism has nothing to do with *it."
Atheism is about a belief.
Christianity is about what you become.
Irrelevant to *the topic being commented on under discussion.