Martin Luther King

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Martin Luther King

Post #1

Post by 2ndRateMind »

What a great speaker this man was! And what a worthy cause he championed!

For your information, I am white, male, european, middle class and middle aged. On the face of it, I have little in common with him. But I cannot help but be moved by his oratory. What we do have in common is a desire for social justice, when all men, and women, are judged not by the colour of their skins, but the content of their characters.

Thank you, America, for producing this man, and commemorating his virtue. May we all, as a worldwide people, eventually get to his promised land, and make his dream come true. As he put it: 'Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.' Let's all just make the world a fit place for the Lord to come to.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Monta
Guru

Re: Martin Luther King

Post #2

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 1 by 2ndRateMind]

"Thank you, America, for producing this man, and commemorating his virtue. May we all, as a worldwide people, eventually get to his promised land, and make his dream come true. As he put it: 'Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.' Let's all just make the world a fit place for the Lord to come to. "

Yes, beautiful man. Americans love commemorating his life but has anything changed for the better as a result? We seem to be going backwards as human beings.
We are simply not coping in bringing up our children in peaceful environment and it seems there is more poverty and helplessness than ever.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Monta wrote: ... it seems there is more poverty and helplessness than ever.
Indeed. With its Republican Senate, Congress and President, the USA is clearly now being run as a country of the rich, by the rich, for the rich. But you have a democracy, and periodic elections. So, it may well be that over the course of the next 4 years, you will revert to a government of the people, by the people, for the people. I hope so, anyway.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

Monta wrote:
Americans love commemorating his life but has anything changed for the better as a result?
They have indeed. Segregation in restaurants, schools, housing, public transportation, etc. has been outlawed.

We seem to be going backwards as human beings.
Perhaps, but not in the areas I mentioned above.

We are simply not coping in bringing up our children in peaceful environment and it seems there is more poverty and helplessness than ever.
These are indeed areas we need to address. This doesn't erase the advancements Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. helped achieve.

Monta
Guru

Post #5

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 4 by Tcg]

Must admit I don't know much about him but from what
I do know I was more than surprised that Edger Hoover
thought he was Russian agent.

Shame on US gov. glad the accusations did not stick but that's maybe because he became popular.

Not many people are gifted as he was; we need more people like him.

steveb1
Scholar

Post #6

Post by steveb1 »

2ndRateMind wrote: What a great speaker this man was! And what a worthy cause he championed!

For your information, I am white, male, european, middle class and middle aged. On the face of it, I have little in common with him. But I cannot help but be moved by his oratory. What we do have in common is a desire for social justice, when all men, and women, are judged not by the colour of their skins, but the content of their characters.

Thank you, America, for producing this man, and commemorating his virtue. May we all, as a worldwide people, eventually get to his promised land, and make his dream come true. As he put it: 'Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.' Let's all just make the world a fit place for the Lord to come to.

Best wishes, 2RM.
I, too am white, male and European, facts of which I'm happy and proud. People like MLK also make me happy and proud to be an American. MLK led blacks down the road of Gandhian peaceful protest and passive resistance, thus avoiding the bloodshed inherent in violent rebellion - he took the path of peace and benefited his race and America as a whole.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Monta wrote:
Not many people are gifted as he was; we need more people like him.
We do indeed. Hopefully we will see some step up and fight for equality in so many ways in which it is needed today.

starthrower
Student

Post #8

Post by starthrower »

Where are all the brave preachers today willing to speak out against the evils of our bought and paid for government "representatives" who funnel untold billions and trillions into the war economy of the United States? Martin Luther King stuck his neck out in resistance to the brutality and murder of the Vietnamese people and was abandoned by most leaders including Billy Graham. And he ultimately gave his life for his obstinacy and refusal to keep quiet.

Neatras
Guru

Post #9

Post by Neatras »

starthrower wrote: Where are all the brave preachers today willing to speak out against the evils of our bought and paid for government...?
They got a republican elected, so they can take a break for 4 years. That's all that mattered to them. They feel no pressure to act up because they're quite the despicable bunch, acting as the "moral majority" with such human, vile attitudes.

starthrower
Student

Post #10

Post by starthrower »

Take a break? Most high profile clergy have never spoken out against those in power. They don't have the courage.