Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Tart
Banned
Banned

The Devil at work.

Post #1

Post by Tart »

Someone offered me meth today, in downtown Denver... And I was all, no thank you... I did meth once, it was horrible, i mean it kind of gets you high a little, and makes you stay up for days, f that... I treasure my sleep... And it troubled me... You know? and i ask him how long hes been up, he said for 3 days.. I said him, "do you wish you weren't addicted", and he said yes, he wishes he wasnt addicted.. And i brought up God to him, and he said he was saved... Concerning... Now i know we all struggle, and i mean i couldnt really say anything about it, becuase here is was smoking weed, wishing i wasnt addicted to that... So what can i say? Well told him to go to NA, thats where im going tomorrow... I really want to get sober myself... But this poor guy.. Being saved? And doing meth...

The truth is, is that convictions of stuff like this come from the truth... Being convicted, in your spirit... I thank God for my convictions... I was so blind without them before, but now i see, my eyes are open... Let the spirit lead...

Tcg
Savant

Re: The Devil at work.

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

Tart wrote:
Let the spirit lead...
As long as it doesn't lead one to getting "saved" or going to NA. Based on the example you have provided, neither provide any help at all with real problems.

Getting "saved" may deal with the imaginary problem of sin and offer the false hope of some kind of afterlife. Real problems need real solutions. If addiction was an imaginary problem, getting "saved" could probably solve it. Alas, addiction is a real problem. You shouldn't be surprised at all that getting "saved" hasn't helped this addict, nor you.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Tart »

Being saved has absolutely helped me. It opens your eyes to the truth.. It opens your eyes to sin, which you dont even believe exists (thats not surprising man).. God open your eyes to conviction, to the spirit, to hope, and grace... God can open your eyes to the truth if you let him..

Thank God, everyday, that my eyes are open. That i have convictions about sin, yet have a solid foundation for hope, love, and faith.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 3 by Tart]

This isn't a debate forum, so I'm am not going to address your response.

My goal is to point out that fact that being "saved" and attending NA provides no help when it comes to addiction. Hopefully, if any addicts stumble across your "testimony", they'll realize they need to seek real help for their real problem. As you have testified, your so called solutions provide no help at all.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Tart »

Ok, well if you knew me and my story, you'd know that God transformed my heart, my mind, and has led me out of darkness... It is 100% certain in my life, that before i was a Christian, i was on a path to fulfill my own flesh and its desires... And after i became a Christian, it has driven convictions within me soul, has showed me sin, and it has led me to repentance of many things... Period...

When we look to Christ as our master, we are looking at a man who prayed for the forgiveness of the people who mocked him, beat and killed him, and he did it submitting to that, in prayer and faith.

Far as im concerned Christ is the pinnacle of righteousness with his actions. If you dont think so, feel free to compare it to anyone else.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #6

Post by Overcomer »

I have known people whose addictions have disappeared immediately upon accepting Christ and they have never had one single desire to engage in those addictions again. I have also known people who have accepted Christ and still struggled against the temptation to go back to bad and deadly habits.

Why would one get immediate deliverance from even the urges of an addiction while another was still tempted? I'm not sure. It may have to do with personality type or the fact that they don't understand the power of the Holy Spirit to help them overcome their habits.

I know that, for some, old habits have resurfaced because they still hang around with the same bunch of people doing the same unhealthy things. And they haven't spent time in God's Word and in prayer, being strengthened by the Lord. In fact, they haven't changed a thing. They just keep living life the same old way. I think that makes them like the seeds in the parable of the sower in Mark 4. The seeds fell on stony ground and plants sprung up quickly, but they withered because the soil was thin and the roots couldn't go down deep.

But you're cetainly right, Tart, that when one accepts Christ, the Holy Spirit does start to work, pointing out the areas of our lives that God would like us to clean up, not in our own puny human power but in the power of the Almighty Lord, and always for our own good. That has certainly been my experience.

Several verses come to mind:

Ephesians 5:18 : Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit . . . .

You can substitute any addiction for the word "wine". We should be consumed healthily with the Holy Spirit, not anything earthly that the devil can use against us.

2 Corinthians 5:17: Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

It's exciting to have the slate wiped clean and the opportunity to begin again, only this time, doing things God's way instead of our way. That's what happened for me and it sounds like that's what has happened for you, too, Tart.

And there's this lengthy passage from Colossians 3:

3 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3 For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is your[a] life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. 7 You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8 But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. 9 Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. 11 Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all

I like the idea of taking off the old self with its ungodly practices and putting on the new self which is all about becoming more and more like Jesus.

God bless you, Tart, as you continue to make wise decisions about your life and how to live it.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by ttruscott »

Overcomer wrote:I know that, for some, old habits have resurfaced because they still hang around with the same bunch of people doing the same unhealthy things. And they haven't spent time in God's Word and in prayer, being strengthened by the Lord. In fact, they haven't changed a thing. They just keep living life the same old way. I think that makes them like the seeds in the parable of the sower in Mark 4. The seeds fell on stony ground and plants sprung up quickly, but they withered because the soil was thin and the roots couldn't go down deep.
Legitimate children of GOD are under the promise that they will be fully trained in righteousness though if they prove to be stubborn it will be a painful discipline, Hebrews 12:5-11. Illegitimate children do not receive this blessing.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #8

Post by Overcomer »

ttruscott wrote:
Legitimate children of GOD are under the promise that they will be fully trained in righteousness though if they prove to be stubborn it will be a painful discipline, Hebrews 12:5-11. Illegitimate children do not receive this blessing.
I understand what you're saying. But it's complicated. I was a Christian for quite a while before I learned about the Holy Spirit's role in perfecting me. I tried to be a good person in my own strength. I had to get the right teaching to put me on the right track.

I think of John Newton who wrote Amazing Grace. He was a slave trader. He accepted Christ, but he continued in the slave trade for a while. Eventually, the Holy Spirit moved too strongly in him to ignore and he gave up the slave trade.

I also recall the story of a drug dealer who accepted Christ, but continued dealing drugs for a year. For some, it takes time to make the necessary changes.

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

Tart wrote:
And after i became a Christian, it has driven convictions within me soul, has showed me sin, and it has led me to repentance of many things... Period...
Obvious those "many things" don't include your self professed addiction to weed. As I quite clearly stated, your getting "saved" hasn't help overcome your addiction nor has it helped the meth addict you encountered. For some mysterious reason, you have ignored dealing with this fact which I so clearly explained.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by rikuoamero »

And OP is why I liken Christianity to snake oil...

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense