Turning Towards Christianity

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

Turning Towards Christianity

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

Hello, for the past week or two I have been focusing on Christianity, moving towards putting my trust in God the Father and in Jesus. I have been on this site for a long time. Many years ago I was a Christian while on this site. For most of the time after that I have been agnostic.

I am writing because I seek to gain faith. I seek to gain faith to the point where I can believe in my heart in Jesus and the Father. I know there are devoted Christians on this site as I can see it in their steadfast posts. I'm not sure what it is I even desire to get out of this post (hence putting it in random ramblings). In any case, I hope that my faith will grow to where I can say in my heart that I am a Christian.

jgh7

Re: Turning Towards Christianity

Post #21

Post by jgh7 »

benchwarmer wrote:
jgh7 wrote: [Replying to post 14 by bluethread]

Thank you, good advice indeed! One step at a time, first thing is going to a Sunday service. I've been reading the bible a lot, but getting involved with the community is definitely the next step I believe.
Just make sure your wanting to belong to a community doesn't make you susceptible to swallowing whatever any particular community may be preaching.

If you really want to 'become a Christian' I think you really need to research and visit many different denominations before diving too far in.

My mistake when I became a Christian was getting caught up in the great community before I really understood what they were 'selling'. All of my moves from non Christian, to one denomination or another involved the draw of the community first. It's only later when I decided to take a really hard look at the beliefs and could no longer squash my intellectual honesty did I finally drop Christianity.

All that to say, community is great, but like the saying goes, don't drink the kool-aid without being sure of the ingredients.

Whatever you choose, I really do hope you find happiness in your choice.
I am trying to keep things simple right now. The church I have gone to does not seem to be denominational, and that is how I prefer it. Being Christian is enough, maybe I will focus on denomination at a later point or maybe not. I feel a greater sense of togetherness among all Christians when I leave denomination out of the equation.

But going in line (sort of) with what you said, I try to seek God first before the community. If I'm only in this for the enjoyment of the community first, and then God second, I doubt I will see good growth in faith.

Tcg
Savant

Post #22

Post by Tcg »

jgh7 wrote:
I feel a greater sense of togetherness among all Christians when I leave denomination out of the equation.
That's a good idea. Ignoring the near endless number of schisms amongst Christians allows you to pretend that they don't exist. This will be a helpful skill if your goal is to accept Christianity unquestionably.

If I'm only in this for the enjoyment of the community first, and then God second, I doubt I will see good growth in faith.
You've already displayed the depth of your faith in your ability to ignore the reality of denominations.

jgh7

Post #23

Post by jgh7 »

Tcg wrote:
That's a good idea. Ignoring the near endless number of schisms amongst Christians allows you to pretend that they don't exist. This will be a helpful skill if your goal is to accept Christianity unquestionably.
Why would I pretend they don't exist? I know they exist.
Tcg wrote: You've already displayed the depth of your faith in your ability to ignore the reality of denominations.
I don't know what this means in terms of what it has to do with depth of faith.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #24

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 1 by jgh7]

my faith in God Christ and the Holy Spirit has grown since I started meditating.