What of Christianity is historical and what isnt?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tart
Banned
Banned

What of Christianity is historical and what isnt?

Post #1

Post by Tart »

There is a lot of dispute of the history of Christrianity, and whether or not it is a myth... Some people even believe it was invented by the Council of Nicaea in 300AD...

So what do you think? Of this timeline from Wikipedia, of Christianity. Where would you draw the line, from when Christianity went from a mytth to history...

What would be your guess for an estimation, of what percentage of this list is real and what percentage is myth?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Christianity

steveb1
Scholar

Re: What of Christianity is historical and what isnt?

Post #31

Post by steveb1 »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 29 by steveb1]

True - but I didn't name dates did I?
Rome accepted Christianity in 313, and then formalized it through the Empire.
I wish I had that kind of suppression.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecuti ... and_extent
It was no longer suppresed after Constantine. You had led me to think that you were talking about the Roman Empire of Pagans and Apostles and martyrs.

marco
Savant

Re: What of Christianity is historical and what isnt?

Post #32

Post by marco »

liamconnor wrote:

I oppose the entire OP because it asks for mere opinions. It does not ask for "reasons". Why shouldn't this OP be a "poll"?
Opinions, Liam, are the basis of theology. We can have informed opinions; we can form an opinion based on an interpretation of, say, Revelation; or we can read a bit of history and come to some conclusion about the foundations of Christianity - which would be our opinion.

If we exchanged only facts here we would be better sitting with a dictionary or a time line of historical events. Opinions add colour to the greyness of facts.