Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

WebersHome
Guru

What's New In The New Covenant?

Post #1

Post by WebersHome »

[font=Verdana]-
The covenant that Moses' people agreed upon with God under oath contains a number of curses for non compliance. They're on display at Ex 34:6-7, Lev 26:3-38, Deut 27:15-26, and Deut 28:1-69.

Those curses are covenanted, i.e. they're contractual; which means that when the Jews, as a people, fail to comply with the covenant, God is obligated to slam them with any number of misfortunes including throwing them to the wolves, e.g. Nebuchadnezzar, Titus, and Hitler.

The new covenant contains no curses of a contractual nature; viz: God isn't obligated to slam Christ's believing followers for non compliance so He's at liberty to be quite a bit more lenient with Christians than He is with Jews.
_
[/font]

WebersHome
Guru

Post #11

Post by WebersHome »

-
bluethread wrote:[font=Georgia]So, what is meant by the blood of the sacrifice being placed on Azazel[/font]
[font=Verdana][/font] [font=Georgia]NOTE[/font][font=Verdana]: Azazel is from the Hebrew word `aza'zel (az-aw-zale') which is usually translated scapegoat.

I'm not having any luck find something in the wording of the ritual at Lev 16:1-34 indicating that blood is placed upon the scapegoat.
_
[/font]

bluethread
Savant

Post #12

Post by bluethread »

WebersHome wrote: -
bluethread wrote:[font=Georgia]So, what is meant by the blood of the sacrifice being placed on Azazel[/font]
[font=Verdana][/font] [font=Georgia]NOTE[/font][font=Verdana]: Azazel is from the Hebrew word `aza'zel (az-aw-zale') which is usually translated scapegoat.

I'm not having any luck find something in the wording of the ritual at Lev 16:1-34 indicating that blood is placed upon the scapegoat.
_
[/font]
Sorry, I was presuming the symbolism. The Scriptures state the principle outright. Verse 21 "He is to lay both hands on the head of the live goat and confess over it all the wickedness and rebellion of the Israelites—all their sins—and put them on the goat’s head. He shall send the goat away into the wilderness in the care of someone appointed for the task." This says that the sins are placed on the head of Aza'zel and who is then driven into the wilderness. So, how are they still on the books?

WebersHome
Guru

Post #13

Post by WebersHome »

-
bluethread wrote: [font=Georgia]This says that the sins are placed on the head of Aza'zel and who is then driven into the wilderness. So, how are they still on the books? [/font]
[font=Verdana]The soul that sins, it shall die, i.e. the wages of sin is death. Well; the scapegoat is allowed to live rather than executed, so justice for the worshippers' sins remains pending; hanging over their heads like a sword of Damocles.

The scapegoat is commonly interpreted to be Jesus; but he was executed. No, I'm pretty sure in my own mind that the scapegoat represents not Jesus, but the worshippers; and the scapegoat, in my estimation, should be called shunned; i.e. a vagabond.
_
[/font]

bluethread
Savant

Post #14

Post by bluethread »

Well, according to the sages, Aza'zel was run off of a cliff so that it would not return. I do not think that Aza'zel is indicative of Yeshua, but of HaSatan, because the fall feasts appear to be indicative of things to come. YomTeruah, begins the days of awe with the sounding of the shofar. Yom Kippur is the cleansing of the Temple, with the sins returned to the head of HaSatan who is driven away to be see no more. Then there is Sukkot, when HaMeshiach dwells among us.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #15

Post by JehovahsWitness »

bluethread wrote: I do not think that Aza'zel is indicative of Yeshua, but of HaSatan, because the fall feasts appear to be indicative of things to come
Wasn't the arrival of Jesus (The Messiah) something "to come" ie future of installation of the tradition?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

WebersHome
Guru

Re: What's New In The New Covenant?

Post #16

Post by WebersHome »

[font=Verdana].
_ Gentiles And The New Covenant_

"The law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ" (Gal 3:24)

The koiné Greek word for "schoolmaster" is paidagogos (pahee-dag-o-gos') which defines not a headmaster, nor a teacher, nor a tutor. It essentially defines a servant whose responsibility it was to get their master's children to school. In other words: a sort of chaperone who made sure the kids got there; even if the servant had to take them by the hand to do it.

The "law" to which the writer refers is the covenant that Moses' people agreed upon with God as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

Although Gentiles per se aren't covenanted with God to comply with that law, it's useful for revealing God's feelings about certain kinds of behavior.

â—� Rom 3:20 . . For by the law is the knowledge of sin.

When informed Gentiles ignore the law after being told what it is; then they become deliberate sinners, i.e. scofflaws; and that has serious consequences.

â—� Num 15:30-31 . .The person, be he citizen or stranger, who acts defiantly reviles the Lord; that person shall be cut off from among his people. Because he has spurned the word of the Lord and violated His commandment, that person shall be cut off-- he bears his guilt.

Take for example David's acts of premeditated murder and adultery in the matter of Uriah and his wife Bathsheba. Those were deliberated sins; and in accordance with Num 15:30-31 there is neither pardon nor forgiveness available for them; in point of fact, there are no sacrifices for them either.

â—� Ps 51:16 . .You would not be pleased with sacrifices, or I would bring them. If I brought you a burnt offering, you would not accept it.

â—� Heb 10:26 . . If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left

Most Gentiles will never commit the sins of premeditated murder and adultery, but there is a sin that I'd be willing to bet every Gentile commits sooner or later at some time in their life; maybe even multiple times.

â—� Lev 19:11 . . You shall not deal falsely, nor lie to one another.

Once a Gentile is made aware that their maker frowns upon dishonesty, henceforth they get cut off in accordance with Num 15:30-31 when they disobey Lev 19:11.

So; what might "cut off" amount to? Well; for one: no dishonesty will be allowed in the holy city foretold in the book of Revelation.

â—� Rev 21:27 . . No one who practices lying shall ever come into it

â—� Rev 22:14-15 . . Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city. But outside are whoever loves and practices a lie.

The schoolmaster's task then; is to instill fear in dishonesty, and make Gentiles aware that if they opt to take their chances, and stand before God to be judged on their own merits; that they haven't the slightest, slimmest possibility of coming away unscathed. It's a 110% forgone conclusion that they will come away dead.

â—� Rev 21:8 . . All liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.

So; why does the schoolmaster bring Gentiles to Christ?

Well; his sacrifice is effective for deliberate sins. In other words: Christ is the one and only safety net for willful dishonesty.

â—� Acts 13:39 . .Through him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the law of Moses.

The Greek word translated "justified" is dikaioo (dik-ah-yo'-o) which essentially means to declare someone innocent, i.e. exonerated.

How does God exonerate people when they're 110% guilty as charged without committing a miscarriage of justice? Well; that just goes to show how effective Christ's crucifixion really is. It not only adequately satisfies justice for people's sins, but also defends God from allegations of judicial misconduct. (Rom 3:25)
_
[/font]

WebersHome
Guru

Re: What's New In The New Covenant?

Post #17

Post by WebersHome »

[font=Verdana].
_ The Inner Self _

â—� Jer 31:33 . . I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts.

I'm pretty sure that verse should be interpreted by this one:

â—� Ezek 36:26-27 . . I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.

What we're looking at in those passages is not so much memorization, but a miraculous transformation in the core of one's being. In other words; law written on tables of stone is a code of rules and regulations to live by, while law written in the mind and on the heart speaks of intuition, predilections, and proclivities to live by.

In a nutshell: Everybody comes into the world living in accordance human nature. The new covenant promises to remove human nature from its beneficiaries and replace it with the nature of God which enables people to think, feel, act, and speak in ways that satisfy Him without their even thinking about it. (Col 2:11-13)

The divine nature isn't a pipe dream. Peter wrote about it.

â—� 2Pet 1:3-4 . . His divine power has given us everything we need for life and piety through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

Somebody is probably wondering why in tarnation didn't God just create Adam with divine nature to begin with?! Well; I haven't a clue what God was thinking but it sure seems to my human mind that the world would've been a whole lots better off had He done so.

"Who knows a person's thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God." (1Cor 2:11)
_
[/font]