Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Parables of the Kingdom

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

Jesus was a teacher like few others.

His teaching was both practical and spiritual, with one basic message, the good news of the Kingdom of God/Heaven.

He taught in many ways, one of which was by the use of parables.

Matthew 13 brings a number of his Kingdom parables together, about which Jesus asked and observed:
Matthew 13:

51 “Have you understood all these things?� Jesus asked.

“Yes,� they replied.

52 He said to them, “Therefore every scribe who has become a disciple in the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old.�
This thread is for us to present our understanding of these and any other Kingdom parables.

Are our views of the Kingdom confirmed or challenged by what is in Matthew 13?

Does this teaching add to, or modify or take away from, what has been your understanding of the Kingdom?
Last edited by Checkpoint on Mon May 28, 2018 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Parables of the Kingdom

Post #41

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 40 by shnarkle]

I don't know... you could believe anything, I'm not a mind reader.

You are the one that quoted
All the believers were together and had everything in common. Acts 2:44
You tell me what you think it means and how that applies to every Christian family across the known world between 33 and 98 CE.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

shnarkle
Guru

Post #42

Post by shnarkle »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 40 by shnarkle]

I don't know... you could believe anything, I'm not a mind reader.
I'm not presenting beliefs, nor am I asking anyone to be a mind reader. I'm presenting the prerequisites Jesus himself required in order to be a disciple. You're just pretending that what is described in the bible is being prescribed while what is prescrited isn't.

No one on this side of the computer screen is suggesting that you need to be a mind reader. I'm simply asking how you imagine all of this stuff that's not there to begin with?
You are the one that quoted
All the believers were together and had everything in common. Acts 2:44
You tell me what you think it means and how that applies to every Christian family across the known world between 33 and 98 CE.
It doesn't apply to any of them if they aren't following his prerequisites. If they are then it does. Pretty simple. The "how" is simple enough; sell everything and give the proceeds to the poor. That means have a garage sale, advertise, and sell everything. Then take the money you acquired from the sale of everything you own and give it to the poor.

This doesn't mean to assume all sorts of nonsense. Don't assume anything. Just assume that these are the prerequisites for becoming a follower of Christ. That's it.

shnarkle
Guru

Post #43

Post by shnarkle »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
shnarkle wrote:
What do you think "the antichrist" is?
I don't understand are you saying the antichrist is Jerusalem, the literal city in the middle East? I can't find the answer to my question in your post.
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 563#919563
Read it again. It isn't confusing. I'm very clear to point out the fact that the literal temple in Jerusalem isn't what is in view here.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #44

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 43 by shnarkle]

Okay thanks, well its been wonderful talking to you.

I read it again and you point is much clearer to me now.

Have an excellent evening,

bye,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8