Jesus preaching hate?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Jesus preaching hate?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple.

For debate.

Is this verse evidence that we all must "pick and choose" some passages over others in order to remain Christians?

Or is the passage evidence that Jesus used poetic language of hyperbole?

Can one "hate" and still honor one's parents? If not, then isn't Jesus preaching against an important Commandment? And if so, how could he still be considered "perfect"?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

jgh7

Post #41

Post by jgh7 »

[Replying to post 38 by William]

Hehe, I'm not sure if that is your actual stance or if you're trying to point out the unreasonableness of that stance.

Either way, my opinion is that taking specific verses like the one in this topic completely literally leads to unreasonable conclusions that directly conflict with teachings at other points in the Gospel. In the end, everyone I suppose is entitled to their opinion and to stand by their own interpretation for the sake of debate, but I have said my peace on this topic and I'll leave it at that.

William
Savant

Post #42

Post by William »

[Replying to post 39 by jgh7]
Hehe, I'm not sure if that is your actual stance or if you're trying to point out the unreasonableness of that stance.
My actual stance can be found in my Member Notes;

William.
Either way, my opinion is that taking specific verses like the one in this topic completely literally leads to unreasonable conclusions that directly conflict with teachings at other points in the Gospel.
How will the wicked know the difference? Image
In the end, everyone I suppose is entitled to their opinion and to stand by their own interpretation for the sake of debate,...
Wicked egos playing games...it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt....
...but I have said my peace on this topic and I'll leave it at that.
Yep... there's really nothing else to add as far as I can see.

Peace.

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Jesus preaching hate?

Post #43

Post by onewithhim »

Elijah John wrote:
26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple.

For debate.

Is this verse evidence that we all must "pick and choose" some passages over others in order to remain Christians?

Can one "hate" and still honor one's parents? If not, then isn't Jesus preaching against an important Commandment? And if so, how could he still be considered "perfect"?
It's not a matter of picking and choosing scriptures. It's a matter of understanding what the word "hate" meant to Jesus and the people of his culture. The word "hate" has several shades of meaning: 1. Intense hostility, ill will & malice, 2. A strong dislike without malice, or 3. Loving to a lesser degree.

I think that it is #3 that Jesus meant when he spoke of "hating" ones relatives. It would not be in agreement with the rest of the Scriptures if Jesus taught that anyone should be hostile and malicious toward another person. It is understandable, however, to be required to love anyone LESS than we love God and Jesus. They must come first in our lives.

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Jesus preaching hate?

Post #44

Post by onewithhim »

Elijah John wrote:

For debate.

It's not a matter of picking and choosing scriptures. It's a matter of understanding what the word "hate" meant to Jesus and the people of his culture. The word "hate" has several shades of meaning: 1. Intense hostility, ill will & malice, 2. A strong dislike without malice, or 3. Loving to a lesser degree.

I think that it is #3 that Jesus meant when he spoke of "hating" ones relatives. It would not be in agreement with the rest of the Scriptures if Jesus taught that anyone should be hostile and malicious toward another person. It is understandable, however, to be required to love anyone LESS than we love God and Jesus. They must come first in our lives.