Would Christ have been a good debater?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Would Christ have been a good debater?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Inspired by Marco's recent thread regarding the intelligence of Christ, and steveb1's post in that thread:
steveb1 wrote: [Replying to marco]
His quips, comebacks, and his way of reversing intellectual traps and springing them on foes hints at a very sharp, alert intelligence that was able to successfully deal with a variety of circumstances, some of them potentially lethal to Jesus.
Allow me to present a variation on the theme.

Would Christ have been a good and effective debater, say, on this site?

Do you think he would have abided by the rules of the forum?

How logical were his arguments?

Please provide examples, and illustrate "why" or "why not".
Last edited by Elijah John on Thu May 24, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

marco
Savant

Re: Would Christ have been a good debater?

Post #31

Post by marco »

shnarkle wrote:
The keepers of the law are losing their status to this Johnny come lately who is grabbing all the attention. This isn't good for business. Notice that the author says "all" the people are listening to him.
Interesting extrapolation on the passage. The use of "all" is a mistaken piece of hyperbole. It cannot have any meaning. Of course those who sought Christ's view were disingenuous as were those who handed him the coin. The simple point is that Christ manoeuvres out of each situation by presenting a question that appears to make people think. It is significant that Christ does not condemn stoning; rather he invites the sinless to throw first. Luckily his mum was absent.

Sadly, stoning is still performed in the religiously barbaric places of our world. Bible and Koran have much to answer for.

But the tale does illustrate that Christ could perform well against hoi polloi. I don't believe he was tested against an Aristotle so his debating skills are hard to judge unless we give credence to his supposed childhood adventure in the Temple.

shnarkle
Guru

Post #32

Post by shnarkle »

marco wrote:
shnarkle wrote:
The keepers of the law are losing their status to this Johnny come lately who is grabbing all the attention. This isn't good for business. Notice that the author says "all" the people are listening to him.
Interesting extrapolation on the passage. The use of "all" is a mistaken piece of hyperbole. It cannot have any meaning.
It has meaning to the authors of the texts, as well as those reading it especially when it comes to the church's ability to sway people to their point of view. Setting your willful ignorance aside, history has shown that they were effective at converting "all" of Rome to Christianity as the official religion.
Of course those who sought Christ's view were disingenuous as were those who handed him the coin.
And yet they genuinely believed they had figured out a way to outsmart him. They sincerely believed this enough to risk making fools of themselves in the process.
The simple point is that Christ manoeuvres out of each situation by presenting a question that appears to make people think.
Yes, it's as if he is making the people around him more intelligent, isn't it? He is lifting them up from their thoughtless existence.
It is significant that Christ does not condemn stoning;
It isn't significant in the greater context of the gospels as a whole in that Jesus has no reservations about stoning those who dishonor their parents(Matt.15:4), and to sin is to dishonor one's parents. Yet another reason why this has nothing to do with whether or not Jesus would condone stoning. He clearly did. On the surface this was nothing more than the Jewish equivalent of a bar exam.
Sadly, stoning is still performed in the religiously barbaric places of our world. Bible and Koran have much to answer for.
This text is the answer to your misplaced metonymy. Those doing the stoning are the ones who have to answer for their self righteous judgement over others, not the document that points out they're unqualified to carry out the stoning in the first place.

As far as the bible goes, the laws are in place for a holy people who aren't going to be sinning in the first place. Those who do sin don't belong. Applying these laws to any society that isn't holy is preposterous to begin with. To say the law is at fault is to pretend adultery is a solemn covenant between two people for the purpose of raising children. In a world where human waste is treasured instead of flushed down the toilet, toilets are blamed and destroyed for a stench they didn't create.

Sadly, people who have no background or knowledge of the bible or Koran are just as likely to throw stones and kill people as those who do. The irony here is that the biblical texts point this out. It isn't the text that is the problem. The common denominator in all cases is humanity.
But the tale does illustrate that Christ could perform well against hoi polloi.
A mistaken piece of hyperbole. the hoi polloi cannot have any meaning. The scribes and Pharisees aren't the hoi polloi.
I don't believe he was tested against an Aristotle so his debating skills are hard to judge unless we give credence to his supposed childhood adventure in the Temple.
Take a gander at the Talmud sometime. You can even download it. These aren't the kind of minds to shrink from the skills of an Aristotle.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #33

Post by bjs »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

The four Gospels present Jesus as a teacher, not a debater. He wanted to explain the truth, not prove. He relied on his authority as the Son of God, demonstrated by his resurrection. It is unlikely this site would respond well to that.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

Elijah John
Savant

Post #34

Post by Elijah John »

bjs wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

The four Gospels present Jesus as a teacher, not a debater. He wanted to explain the truth, not prove. He relied on his authority as the Son of God, demonstrated by his resurrection. It is unlikely this site would respond well to that.
Yes, that would have been preaching. But he debated also, reasoned from the Scriptures. Authority demonstrated by his resurrection? He taught mostly, (if not entirely) before his resurrection.

-YHVH is LORD

marco
Savant

Post #35

Post by marco »

shnarkle wrote:
It has meaning to the authors of the texts, as well as those reading it especially when it comes to the church's ability to sway people to their point of view. Setting your willful ignorance aside, history has shown that they were effective at converting "all" of Rome to Christianity as the official religion.
The word "all" is being misused, as I said. As for your leap to Constantine's time, there remained many other sects in Rome; Christianity became the state religion just as Anglicanism became the religion under Henry viii, but of course Catholics were not Anglicans nor were Jews.
shnarkle wrote:
A mistaken piece of hyperbole. the hoi polloi cannot have any meaning. The scribes and Pharisees aren't the hoi polloi.
You have misunderstood my use of the term. I was ironically suggesting that, relative to Christ, his questioners were merely the rabble. Hoi polloi has in English a pejorative meaning.

The point is that we cannot measure Christ's competence when he was addressing people far below him in facundity.

Willum
Savant

Post #36

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 32 by shnarkle]
And yet they genuinely believed they had figured out a way to outsmart him. They sincerely believed this enough to risk making fools of themselves in the process.
And it what way did they not outsmart him?
Wasn't he crucified for violating Jewish Law?
Yes.
When he was handed a coin that had the portrait of the God Caesar and the Goddess Pax, and discovered whose portrait was on it, did cast the coin away and rend his robes to avert Heaven's wrath (or his own)?
No, he said, "It's OK Jews, defile yourself with the graven image of false gods, just so long as, after you do that, you give your god what he wants."

Do you not also understand that God would know what they were up to, such that they were risking nothing, God would punish them - right? If either Jesus or God were real?

Oh, well.
One demi-god served with a side of unicorn and dash of truth.

Falling Light 101
Apprentice

Yahoshua, The Greatest Debater OF All.

Post #37

Post by Falling Light 101 »

[font=Arial]Hello

Hello friends.

I took some time to read all of the great posts here in the forum.

So many diverse ideas going back and forth. My attention was captured however by one particular statement that I found. Someone here a few posts back said that " I don't believe he was tested against an Aristotle so his debating skills are hard to judge "

I know that Aristotle was a Greek philosopher and a scientist born in Stagira, Greece.
He was Born in 384 BC.

Aristotle was Educated at the Platonic Academy which was the study of attending intellectuals who shared a common interest in studying subjects such as philosophy, mathematics, and astronomy.

The Greek Platonic Academy Educational Center was shut down and closed down in 529 A.D. for being pagan by the Roman Catholic Emperor - Justinian I.

I believe that because Yahoshua and Aristotle never met one another, it is impossible to determine who would win a debate, especially in light of the fact that Yehoshua was on an important mission and very busy hiding from the Roman, Italians and also from a handful of Jewish leaders who wanted to turn Him over to the Italian government in order to solve their captivity problems.

The Jewish leaders felt that Yahoshua was turning the people against God and destroying the unity of their nation, but in debating them, Yahoshua completely delivered the proper message that confronted their man-made traditions and set them in a rage because He used the scriptures against them.[/font]

marco
Savant

Re: Yahoshua, The Greatest Debater OF All.

Post #38

Post by marco »

Falling Light 101 wrote:
The Jewish leaders felt that Yahoshua was turning the people against God and destroying the unity of their nation, but in debating them, Yahoshua completely delivered the proper message that confronted their man-made traditions and set them in a rage …..
The point I was making is that Christ had no worthy adversary so that we might judge his skills. We have a one-sided picture, so of course "Christus vincit", Christ triumphs because that is what his biographers wish us to understand. It is the same with Muhammad - in stories about him he rises supreme. If it was Christ's intention to get himself arrested, he succeeded by his provocative style. Unfortunately his obduracy gave the entire Jewish people an undeserved curse that lasted through the centuries.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #39

Post by Elijah John »

marco wrote:
Falling Light 101 wrote:
The Jewish leaders felt that Yahoshua was turning the people against God and destroying the unity of their nation, but in debating them, Yahoshua completely delivered the proper message that confronted their man-made traditions and set them in a rage …..
The point I was making is that Christ had no worthy adversary so that we might judge his skills. We have a one-sided picture, so of course "Christus vincit", Christ triumphs because that is what his biographers wish us to understand. It is the same with Muhammad - in stories about him he rises supreme. If it was Christ's intention to get himself arrested, he succeeded by his provocative style. Unfortunately his obduracy gave the entire Jewish people an undeserved curse that lasted through the centuries.
Speaking or "worthy adversaries" Jesus would have had them in his fellow rabbis. Rabbis love to debate/discuss. There is an old joke that you put two rabbis in a room, you will come out with three opinions.

The wonderful film "Young Messiah" depicts the boy Jesus debating elder rabbis near the Temple in a non-adversarial way, delighting and astonishing them. What was only alluded to the Gospel of Luke (I think it was) is wonderfully fleshed-out in the Anne Rice narrative.

-YHVH is LORD

marco
Savant

Post #40

Post by marco »

Elijah John wrote:
Speaking or "worthy adversaries" Jesus would have had them in his fellow rabbis. Rabbis love to debate/discuss. There is an old joke that you put two rabbis in a room, you will come out with three opinions.

The wonderful film "Young Messiah" depicts the boy Jesus debating elder rabbis near the Temple in a non-adversarial way, delighting and astonishing them. What was only alluded to the Gospel of Luke (I think it was) is wonderfully fleshed-out in the Anne Rice narrative.

But sadly we have no record of those eloquent rabbis.

Yes, his ill-treated parents looked for young rascal; in Luke 2 we have: "[46] After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. [47] Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers. "

We know nothing of the boy Christ and this, with the account of heavenly choirs singing at his delivery, is the writer's enthusiasm on full throttle.

I agree we can imagine Christ debating successfully with a Cicero here and a Seneca there, winning at every turn; but imagination is not fact. Alas. Sometimes it is sufficient that the press agents be impressive. Paul didn't disappoint.