Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic
William
First Post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:02 pm  Deism vs. Atheism. Which is more likely true? Reply with quote

Assuming for argument sake that it is possible for the universe to exist without intelligent design...

In what way is atheism still a better position to assume? In what way is atheism more likely to be truer than Deism?

One of the most popular arguments I ever come across for atheism over any type of theism usually goes along the lines of "if I were god, I would want to interact with my creation rather than stay absent like the Deistic god, and since there is no evidence of GOD existing through interaction, atheism is still the preferred position to have, because the deist GOD is absent anyway, so might as well not exist."

So, in what way is atheism more likely truer than Deism?

Or, are the two positions so similar that they are not even in conflict with each other and may as well be the same thing?

After all, a deist idea of GOD in relation to this universe, might as well not exist. Which is precisely the atheist position on the subject of GOD.

Thoughts?
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 11: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:22 pm

Like this post
paarsurrey1 wrote:

Divine Insight wrote:

paarsurrey1 wrote:

Everybody who believes in the Truthful Religion, please.
Regards

Everyone who believes in a religion believes that their religion is the "Truthful" religion.

So apparently all religious folk are exactly alike. Very Happy

Just like the Buddhism and Confucianism people, they are our brothers in humanity. Right, please?
Regards

All humans are brothers in humanity. It doesn't matter what they believe.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 12: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:29 am

Like this post
Divine Insight wrote:

paarsurrey1 wrote:

Divine Insight wrote:

paarsurrey1 wrote:

Everybody who believes in the Truthful Religion, please.
Regards

Everyone who believes in a religion believes that their religion is the "Truthful" religion.

So apparently all religious folk are exactly alike. Very Happy

Just like the Buddhism and Confucianism people, they are our brothers in humanity. Right, please?
Regards

All humans are brothers in humanity. It doesn't matter what they believe.

Human problems facing the humanity are the same the world-over, and the truthful solution of them is also the same.
Regards

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 13: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:18 am
Re: Deism vs. Atheism. Which is more likely true?

Like this post
William wrote:

In what way is atheism still a better position to assume?

It depends on your subjective evaluation of what should be considered "better".

If you prefer to believe in the existence of a being for which there is no rational evidence, then your preference would lean towards deism.

If you prefer to withhold belief for only those beings for which there is rational evidence, atheism is the clear choice.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 14: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:08 pm

Like this post
William wrote:

Assuming for argument sake that it is possible for the universe to exist without intelligent design...

In what way is atheism still a better position to assume? In what way is atheism more likely to be truer than Deism?

One of the most popular arguments I ever come across for atheism over any type of theism usually goes along the lines of "if I were god, I would want to interact with my creation rather than stay absent like the Deistic god, and since there is no evidence of GOD existing through interaction, atheism is still the preferred position to have, because the deist GOD is absent anyway, so might as well not exist."

So, in what way is atheism more likely truer than Deism?

Or, are the two positions so similar that they are not even in conflict with each other and may as well be the same thing?

After all, a deist idea of GOD in relation to this universe, might as well not exist. Which is precisely the atheist position on the subject of GOD.

Thoughts?

The whole point for God creating the universe has to be so that fully self-aware creatures with moral free will would evolve without knowledge of God's existence. We know nothing from before the Big Bang. From our perspective, time began at that point. There's plenty of "time" for God to interact with those that have passed the test, after they've passed it.

Also, from our perspective, in this universe, in this life, there is no way to tell whether there is a God or not. Ergo there is only one difference between agnostic-atheism and agnostic-deism (the only two reasonable positions on the existence of God), and that is hope.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 15: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:58 am

Like this post
ThePainefulTruth wrote:

Ergo there is only one difference between agnostic-atheism and agnostic-deism (the only two reasonable positions on the existence of God), and that is hope.

There are an endless variety of reasonable positions on the existence of deities (please note my use of the plural here). Your inability to understand the others, doesn't validate your claim that there are only two.

But onto the "meat", if I may be so bold as to classify it as such, of your odd claim. Given that you didn't bother to specify whether it is Deism or atheism that offers hope, I must simply guess that you are referring to Deism. How does a god that doesn't intervene in the universe in any way provide hope of any kind?

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 16: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:33 am

Like this post
Tcg wrote:

ThePainefulTruth wrote:

Ergo there is only one difference between agnostic-atheism and agnostic-deism (the only two reasonable positions on the existence of God), and that is hope.

There are an endless variety of reasonable positions on the existence of deities (please note my use of the plural here). Your inability to understand the others, doesn't validate your claim that there are only two.

What besides those two don't rely 100% on hearsay evidence for every supernatural event or revelation?

Quote:
But onto the "meat", if I may be so bold as to classify it as such, of your odd claim. Given that you didn't bother to specify whether it is Deism or atheism that offers hope, I must simply guess that you are referring to Deism. How does a god that doesn't intervene in the universe in any way provide hope of any kind?

Good "guess"? How many atheists do you know who believe in a Hereafter? The whole purpose for a Deist God creating the universe is to spawn self-aware creatures with free will, who then must have no evidence of that God in order to maintain that free will, during this test.

Goto top, bottom

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

On The Web | Ecodia | Facebook | Twitter