The tree of truth

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Waterfall
Scholar

The tree of truth

Post #1

Post by Waterfall »

I have been reading the story about Adam and Eve and now I cannot understand what people are talking about...eating of the tree of life? According to this story God do not want people to eat of the tree of life? Is that not why God did this:
After he drove the man out, he placed on the east sidee of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.
It seems like God do not want humans to live forever, so there can be no talk about an resurrection of humans. God just want humans to die and perish. Because they did not obey. End of story.

But the story keeps on going? Why is that?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: The tree of truth

Post #21

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Waterfall wrote:
God says don't eat from the tree. Do you think God wanted them to eat from the tree?
No....it do not seem like that.
Okay, you're doing well, excellent.

So we have established that God didn't want Adam and Eve to disobey him (and die) so wouldn't that mean that God wanted them to obey Him and live forever?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Waterfall
Scholar

Post #22

Post by Waterfall »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Waterfall wrote:
God says don't eat from the tree. Do you think God wanted them to eat from the tree?

So we have established that God didn't want Adam and Eve to disobey him (and die) so wouldn't that mean that God wanted them to obey Him and live forever?
If I was Adam and Eve I would have eaten from the banana tree and then from the apple tree. And if I found out it was a bad tree then I would leave it alone. And eat some oranges instead.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #23

Waterfall wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Waterfall wrote:

If I was Adam and Eve I would have eaten from the banana tree and then from the apple tree. And if I found out it was a bad tree then I would leave it alone. And eat some oranges instead.
Okay. Now... what about my question: So we have established that God didn't want Adam and Eve to disobey him (and die) so wouldn't that mean that God wanted them to obey Him and live forever?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Waterfall
Scholar

Post #24

Post by Waterfall »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Waterfall wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Waterfall wrote:

Okay. Now... what about my question: So we have established that God didn't want Adam and Eve to disobey him (and die) so wouldn't that mean that God wanted them to obey Him and live forever?
Well...then God could just have said...before you do this...eat a banana.

marco
Savant

Post #25

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

Let me try and better explain my question.

Well you haven't explained your question. One supposes you expect the answer No. But let's look at Mark:

"And he charged them that they should tell no man: but the more he charged them, so much the more a great deal they published it"

Of course the more they were asked not to report the miracle the more they publicised it. As, no doubt, Jesus wanted. And luckily too, for we now know about it.

So things are NOT always what they seem.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #26

marco wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

Let me try and better explain my question.

Well you haven't explained your question. .
Thank you so much for your post. You are right, I didn't but then all can say to you is, as our beloved MP team would say, "Nobody expected the inquisition".

Again thanks for your exceptionally well put input,

Have a nice day and be well,

JW

polonius
Prodigy

Eternity in Hell on a meat rap.

Post #27

Post by polonius »

Admittedly, this is a facetious question asked by the late comedian George Carlin who described himself as a Recovering Irish Catholic.

It does seem to demonstrate an error in Catholic teaching about burning in hell for all eternity for one unconfessed mortal sin.

George asked that now, when it's no longer a sin to eat meat on Fridays, what happened to all those Catholics who ate meat on Friday and died before they could go to confess their mortal sin, and are apparently burning in hell for all eternity on a meat rap. ;)

dio9
Under Probation

Post #28

Post by dio9 »

God did not want fallen Adam to eat, but what is the tree of life is open ended. Your guess is as good as mine. People like to say it's Jesus as the vine or true olive tree to which we can graft. It is such a mythological story with meaning we moderns just don't get, maybe the ancients knew what it meant, or maybe if you pray about it you will get something. As kind of a Zen thing it leaves us confused. Catholics might call it a mystery. Zen would say We think and think until we are confronted with the abyss of unthought and then jump right in.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #29

Post by brianbbs67 »

I think they did eat some from the tree of life. Look how long early man is reported to have lived. It wasn't till the flood aftermath that life here was limited to 120 max. Even then Job lives to 140 as repayment for his suffering.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #30

Waterfall wrote:
Well...then God could just have said...before you do this...eat a banana.

Yes.

Well, I think we have gone about as far as we can on this topic. Thank you for a most agreeable exchange,

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS