Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

A Question related to rule number 2.

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Rule number two states:

"2. Profanity and obscenity of any sort are not allowed (this includes words that are abbreviated or coded)."

My question is, when is it acceptable to use profanity in a post? For instance, if a poster quotes an historic figure which includes profanity, is that an acceptable use of profanity?

If not, what response should be expected from the Moderators?

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

I assume you are referring to:
viewtopic.php?p=920866#920866

I decided to clear this report, even though it is technically against the rules. I allowed it because it was relevant to the debate and was a verbatim quote from the source. But, I also realized I could potentially be opening up a can of worms by allowing it.

I'm open to discussing this further on how to handle situations like this.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #3

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to post 2 by otseng]

Perhaps for direct quotes one should use #### or the like. This still could open a can of worms though since it would need to be decided what quotes are allowable. i.e. if one writes: My friend Joe said "... expletives .... " should this be allowed? It's easy to fabricate a 'friend' who said something as a way to bypass the rule.

Honestly, the best way might just to be completely disallow it as the rules already state. If you want to quote something with profanity, just supply a link and don't paste the actual contents in the post. This will leave the site free of profanity and still allow people to quote relevant sources, albeit with just a link instead of the actual text.

Wootah
Savant

Re: A Question related to rule number 2.

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 1 by Tcg]

Paraphrase the quote.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

otseng wrote: I assume you are referring to:
viewtopic.php?p=920866#920866

I decided to clear this report, even though it is technically against the rules.
It is very clear cut. There are absolutely no exceptions listed in rule number 2 and there is no question the poster in question broke rule number 2. You clearly admitted that they did.

What you are saying is that you as a moderator chose not to enforce a clear violation of rule number 2 because you liked the argument the rule violator made. If you are not willing to enforce the rules as they are written, you should resign your duties as a moderator.

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Tcg]

Paraphrase the quote.
Are you trying to bait me into breaking rule number 2?

How could I paraphrase the most foul profanity in the English language without breaking rule number 2?

There is apparently only one poster who could get away with that and I am not that poster.

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 6 by Tcg]

I am certain the quote could have been paraphrased to exclude the swear word.

I really don't care....

I would advise others against swearing through quotes of others.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

otseng
Savant

Post #8

Post by otseng »

Tcg wrote: What you are saying is that you as a moderator chose not to enforce a clear violation of rule number 2 because you liked the argument the rule violator made. If you are not willing to enforce the rules as they are written, you should resign your duties as a moderator.
No, it's not because I agreed with the argument or support it. Also, I've never uttered the word in my life (either spoken or written), so I did not clear it lightly. We also discussed it as a mod team and several did not oppose with my clearing it.

But, as I've mentioned, I'm open to debating about this. Yes, we can have a strict policy of enforcing the rules with absolutely no exceptions. But, there has always been exceptions to the rules on a case-by-case basis. When I do make an exception to the rules, I rarely do this without discussing it with the other mods.

As for me resigning as a mod, that's not going to happen. I try to be as fair and impartial as possible, however, I'm still the owner and pay for the forum. Therefore I'm the highest authority of this forum.

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

otseng wrote:
Tcg wrote: What you are saying is that you as a moderator chose not to enforce a clear violation of rule number 2 because you liked the argument the rule violator made. If you are not willing to enforce the rules as they are written, you should resign your duties as a moderator.
No, it's not because I agreed with the argument or support it. Also, I've never uttered the word in my life (either spoken or written), so I did not clear it lightly. We also discussed it as a mod team and several did not oppose with my clearing it.

But, as I've mentioned, I'm open to debating about this. Yes, we can have a strict policy of enforcing the rules with absolutely no exceptions. But, there has always been exceptions to the rules on a case-by-case basis. When I do make an exception to the rules, I rarely do this without discussing it with the other mods.

As for me resigning as a mod, that's not going to happen. I try to be as fair and impartial as possible, however, I'm still the owner and pay for the forum. Therefore I'm the highest authority of this forum.
I appreciate your reply. You have obviously given this a great deal of thought and consideration.

I was shocked initially that such language would be allowed and this reaction effected my ability to be objective concerning this mater.

Thanks for your willingness to explain this situation and for your patience with my questioning.