Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

World Mission Society Church of God

Post #1

Post by For_The_Kingdom »

Part 1

Hello folks. Be prepared, as this is going to be a long post. This thread is mainly for Christians, or former Christians, as it is about to get very theological around here. But of course, anyone can weigh in on the topic as you see fit. I don’t make threads often, so when I do, it is usually something that has been on my mind for a while. I’ve had some recent experiences (off and on) for the past 3 years or so, that has really rocked my “theological� world. I’d like to share with you guys some of these experiences.

These experiences have humbled me. Why? Because as I pointed out elsewhere, sometimes I have a certain “arrogance� about myself; thinking that I know everything…or at the very least; thinking that I know enough. Come to find out, I have a longggg way to go. Knowledge never stops. The quest for learning never ends.

You see, for the past 15 years or so, when it comes to “in house� Christian debates, I’ve been focusing EXCLUSIVELY on Jehovah’s Witnesses. Why? Because I have members of my family that are JW’s…we are talking some of my favorite cousins; and over the years, theological debates with them have been common.

That, followed by their “arrogant� attitudes and “self-righteous� fronts, I’ve been pretty much programed to go after them (Jehovah’s Witnesses, in general)…completely ignoring all of the other “cults� or “sects� within Christianity (Mormons, SDA’s, Calvinists, Catholics, etc).

Not that I would ever shy away from those other folks. But let’s face, it, Jehovah’s Witnesses are out there on the forefront…their Kingdom Halls are everywhere, and they are constantly out there in the field, whether it be going door to door or posted up on the sidewalk with their carts…so it is far more convenient to converse with them, as opposed to any other groups.

Now, again, I’ve much dedicated my entire apologetic journey to Jehovah’s Witnesses (in house), pretty much ignoring all other sects. But I’ve always acknowledged that the “others� were out there.

I’d thought I’ve heard of just about every little group/sect of Christianity out there. Boy, was I wrong.

I will now turn our attention to the World Mission Society of God. Wait a minute…who? The World Mission Society of God. Who are these guys? Let me tell you the story..

So, about 2 years or so ago, I had went to a particular Walmart to handle some business, and as I was walking through the parking lot of the shopping center, I was approached by 2 gentleman (a young, Hispanic guy..and an older black guy). As they approached me, I could see a third gentleman (white guy) from a distance, talking to someone else in the parking lot. At first, I thought that they were Jehovah’s Witnesses. Of course, I always jump at the opportunity to discuss the Bible with JW’s. But as the two gentleman began to talk to me, I noticed that they were not Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Now keep in mind, this all happened a couple of years ago, so I can’t remember everything about the conversation, just bits and pieces..it went something like this (paraphrasing)…

Them: Hello sir, we are just out here spreading the word of God, you do believe in Father God, right?
Me: Absolutely.
Them: Do you believe in Mother God?
Me: Mother God?

Now let me pause right there. First off, let me be honest…in all of my years of living, and all the knowledge of ever had on God, the Bible, etc…I’ve NEVER…EVER, EVER heard of any Christian doctrine related to a “Mother God�. Not within Christianity. Never. Did you guys ever hear of a “Mother God� as it relates to Christianity? I certainly hadn’t. Not up until that point. Anyway..

Me: Mother God?
Them: Yes, Mother God. If there is a Father God, there has to be a Mother God, right? (or, If there is a Father God, doesn’t it make sense for there to be a Mother God) [A variation of those two statements]

Now, thinking back, I recall that the immediate non-biased reaction in my brain was to says “Right�, conceding his point, due to the natural order of things in the world (everyone has a biological father and mother). But the years of following Orthodox Christianity far out weighted this knee-jerk reaction.

Me: No, not necessarily.
Them: Oh, let me show you something..
*opens Bible, goes to Genesis 1:27*
Them: You see, God created man in his image, right?
Me: Right.
Them:
And the woman was created in God’s image too, right?
Me: Right, but when it says “God created man in his image�, it is talking about “mankind�, and the woman (females) are included in “mankind�.
Them: But a woman is different than a man, right? So how can two humans with different “features� be created in one “single� image. Either God is a transgender God or there has to be a woman “model� of whose image the woman is made up from.

Wow, stumped me. Now, that is the gist of how the conversation began, there was more to be said after that. We stood there talking for about 10 minutes until the third gentleman joined us. So, the four of us stood out there for about a half hour discussing this. They invited me to have a Bible study at their church, which I agreed. I gave my contact info and wished them a good day.

However, they never called me back, and I had since forgotten about them, eventually concluding that they were part of a false cult or whatever.
Now, fast forward to about 6 months ago, as 2 years had passed since my encounter with them. I had to make a trip to the SAME Walmart. After handling my business, I was on my way to walk out of the Walmart, heading towards to final exit (in the area where you get your cart), when at the door, I see a young, Hispanic woman talking to two older Hispanic women at the door.

Again, I thought that these were Jehovah’s Witnesses. So I approached them and listened, and observed. The younger woman had her Bible open and was discussing some theological stuff with the women. For the most part, what she was saying seemed to be in order. However, when the two older ladies left, I began a conversation with the young woman (Lets call her Nicole).

To be honest, I can’t remember what we spoke about initially…HOWEVER, as the conversation lingered, she said something about “Mother God�. And then it dawned on me….ohhhhhh, she must be part of that same group. So our conversation went similar to the conversation I had with those gentlemen two years prior. Nicole and I stood there for about 15 minutes, going back and forth and things was getting a little tense, but in a good, spirited way.

Before she departed, Nicole invited me to their church for a Bible study, and I agreed. I gave her my contact info and vice versa. We agreed for the Bible study to take place on the following Monday. As we got closer to Monday, I told her that I didn’t have a vehicle…and she told me that transportation could be provided…and I told her she could just scoop me up at the same Walmart (we are communicating via text). She told me that she would have one of the “brothers� scoop me up at the Walmart.

So while I am waiting on the brother to scoop me up, she texted me, telling me that she think I am going to enjoy the Bible study, as they serve food and everything. I expressed to her the fact that I may not agree with everything that is being said at the study…and she said “No worries, this will be a personal Bible study and you will be able to ask as many questions as you like�.

Sounds good to me. So I arrive at the Walmart, and had some time to burn so I am waiting at the Mcdonald’s instead of Walmart. Suddenly, I get a text message

*Hello, this is (lets call him Orlando). Nicole told me you needed a ride to the church. I am outside*

He also texted me the type of car he drove and what side of the store to meet him. So, when I get outside, I see his car and he blew the horn. When I get into the car, I am greeted with a preppy, studious looking black guy. He was very well-spoken and mild mannered.

I introduced myself and we drove off to the church. As we rode, we talked about work and various other “acquaintance� subjects. The church wasn’t far, and we reached it between 3-5 minutes. We pull into the parking lot of a big church. On the front of the building, the words “World Mission Society Church of God� was in nice big letters.

At the time, I didn’t know that “World Mission Society Church of God� was the name of the denomination. I thought it was just the name of the church (big difference). Anyways, along-side of the church there was a smaller building. So, we got out of the car, and I followed him to the smaller building. As we approached the building, there were people socializing outside of the building. As we grew closer, everyone stopped talking and greeted us both. It was a very “welcoming� environment. We walk into the building, which is kind of a cafeteria/social setting, with booths and tables and chairs. And there was a full kitchen where women were serving food and drinks (non alcoholic).

Orlando asked me “Do you want to get something to eat�, to which I answered “Hecks yeah�. So we get something to eat. They were serving tacos/enchiladas and other stuff. As we waited in line, I looked around the room. There were various people at various tables and booths, eating and having Bible studies.
People were coming up to us and greeting us…and stopping for small talk/chatter. The place had a very friendly, warm, welcoming vibe to it. Actually, it had a very “Jehovah’s Witness/Kingdom Hall" kind of atmosphere (minus the food). If anyone ever visited a Kingdom Hall, you know what I am talking about.

So, Orlando and I get our food and we sit down at one of the tables to grub. After we ate, we got down to business. And once we began to talk…I was in for a surprise…Part 2 coming soon.

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: World Mission Society Church of God

Post #21

Post by Divine Insight »

For_The_Kingdom wrote:
Divine Insight wrote:
I understand. Screaming "straw man" when you can't think of a meaningful apology to the issues raised is a quite common 21st century tactic.
I only "scream" straw man when someone attacks a position that isn't being held.
All I did was attempt to address the fact that you said you were "stumped" by the suggestion that there might need to be a "Mother God" in your monotheistic theology.

I don't see how you can call that a "straw man".
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

William
Savant

Re: World Mission Society Church of God

Post #22

Post by William »

[Replying to post 20 by For_The_Kingdom]
Bruh, I really didn't understand that post. Dumb it down for me if you can muster up the energy.
Hmmm...
........Okay...

Try This;

"This is essential why it is so important to regard oneself as an aspect of First Source Consciousness rather than some 'creation' of some 'creator'."

[font=Comic Sans MS]This is the feeling that you should seek to preserve in the face of life’s distractions. This is the revelation of my heart to your heart. Live in clarity. Live in purpose. Live in the knowledge that you are in me and I am in you, and that there is no place separate from our heart.[/font]~Excerpt from Chamber 23—One of three written elements from the body of work known as the WingMakers, ascribed to First Source.