Is the book of Revelation fact or fiction?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Is the book of Revelation fact or fiction?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

The following writing seems to address the status of the Book of Revlation accurately.

REVELATION: Fact or Fiction?
March 27, 2011 by Derrick Garland Coy

Recently I was watching MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell on his show, The Last Word, when, in responding to a rival TV host who claimed that the Japanese earthquake and tsunami were evidence of the last days as depicted in the book of Revelation, he retorted, “The book of Revelation is a work of fiction that describes how a truly vicious God would bring about the end of the world. No half-smart religious person actually believes the book of Revelation anymore. Those people are certain that their God would never turn into a malicious torturer and mass murderer beyond Hitler’s wildest dreams.�

Opinions (with evidence please).

EBA
Apprentice

Post #41

Post by EBA »

JehovahsWitness wrote:Okay. So why would that invalidate the Jehovah's Witness understanding of John's (written) Revelation?
Because you stated:
JehovahsWitness wrote:The book of Revelation has everything to do with "end time prophecy" .

It was primarily written for us living in "the Lord's day" -
If that is true then Paul and Peter would have no need for this revelation, yet they had it.
JehovahsWitness wrote:So were you referring to personal revelations recieved by Peter and Paul not written down?
No. I’m referring to "The revelation of Jesus Christ.�
JehovahsWitness wrote:I'm sorry I would love to understand your question but I still don't understand it.
Fair enough. Here is where we disconnect:
You beleive:
JehovahsWitness wrote:The book of Revelation has everything to do with "end time prophecy"
Whereas I believe:
EBA wrote:The book of Revelation has nothing to do with "end-time prophecy;" it is "The revealing of JESUS CHRIST"
And it all comes down to “prepositions.�

Is it:

“The revelation OF Jesus Christ�

or

“A revelation BY Jesus Christ�

I tell you the truth when I say, Christ is not revealing the end times; he is revealing Christ.

God Bless

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #42

Post by JehovahsWitness »

EBA wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:Okay. So why would that invalidate the Jehovah's Witness understanding of John's (written) Revelation?
Because you stated:
JehovahsWitness wrote:The book of Revelation has everything to do with "end time prophecy" .

It was primarily written for us living in "the Lord's day" -
If that is true then Paul and Peter would have no need for this revelation, yet they had it.

Oh I see now.

I maybe expressed myself badly, I see what you are saying now. When I said "everything" I didn't mean that Johns written revelation is exhaustive ie that no other information would ever be needed or given, I meant that all aspects in it related in some aspect to the end times ("the Lord's Day").

Hope that clarifies things. Please have an excellent day.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Zog Has-fallen
Banned
Banned

Re: Is the book of Revelation fact or fiction?

Post #43

Post by Zog Has-fallen »

[Replying to post 1 by polonius.advice]
I'm a strong believer in the book of Revelation and feel confident that the world as we know it will come to a cataclysmic end by the judgments of God. The strong language is meant to awaken the careless to their impending doom if they continue to live happily and indifferently to the reality of their fatal delusions or just stubbornly and defiantly in their never-ending hostility to the gospel of Jesus Christ.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #44

Post by polonius »

Zog Has-fallen wrote: [Replying to post 1 by polonius.advice]
I'm a strong believer in the book of Revelation and feel confident that the world as we know it will come to a cataclysmic end by the judgments of God. The strong language is meant to awaken the careless to their impending doom if they continue to live happily and indifferently to the reality of their fatal delusions or just stubbornly and defiantly in their never-ending hostility to the gospel of Jesus Christ.
RESPONSE:
The strong language is meant to awaken the careless to their impending doom

So you recognize that it's written to be a scary book. Not necessarily reality oriented. ;)

Zog Has-fallen
Banned
Banned

Post #45

Post by Zog Has-fallen »

polonius.advice wrote:
So you recognize that it's written to be a scary book. Not necessarily reality oriented. ;)
Extraordinarily symbolic books can only be understood by those who are familiar with the symbolic sources. Why am I confident that you don't even have a clue?

polonius
Prodigy

Post #46

Post by polonius »

Zog Has-fallen wrote:
polonius.advice wrote:
Extraordinarily symbolic books can only be understood by those who are familiar with the symbolic sources. Why am I confident that you don't even have a clue?

RESPONSE: You can also be confident that I, like many others, am not religiously gullible. ;)

Zog Has-fallen
Banned
Banned

Post #47

Post by Zog Has-fallen »

polonius.advice wrote: So you recognize that it's written to be a scary book. Not necessarily reality oriented. ;)
polonius.advice wrote: RESPONSE: You can also be confident that I, like many others, am not religiously gullible. ;)
Your errors are accumulating rapidly. If you believe that the book of Revelation is scary, then you should specify a compelling case of someone who is truly scared by it. Secondly, from your line of attack, for example, you’re also required to prove that God is unjust in alerting you to your impending everlasting destruction. Do you have a proof of that?

Finally, your opening post reveals how extraordinarily religious you are yet you have failed to disclose or even acknowledge that you have your own axiom set. Do you have any inclination toward correcting your errors and do you intend to prove your claims?

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #48

Post by brianbbs67 »

I would add to this that judging yourself half smart by what another man says is folly. Or smart for that matter. We just don't know for sure. We never will, till all is revealed. Its fun to talk about, though.