Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

brianbbs67
Guru

Christ in the OT

Post #1

Post by brianbbs67 »

Who is he and who is Lord? Proverbs 8:31-36

I post this in response to another topic and then I reread this.

31-36

"Rejoicing in His inhabited world, finding delight with mankind.
Now, sons, listen to me; Happy are they who keep my ways.
Heed discipline and become wise; Do not spurn it.
Happy is the man who listens to me, Coming early to my gates each day,
Waiting outside my doors.
For he who finds me finds life.
And obtains favor from the Lord.
But he who misses me destroys himself;
All who hate me love death."

Does this not refer to "before Abraham , I am" ??

101G
Apprentice

Re: Christ in the OT

Post #21

Post by 101G »

bluethread wrote:
101G wrote:
here clearly, the apostle puts Christ in the OT. so let's check and see who the ROCK is in the OT.
Not to undermine your argument, but it is important to be accurate. "(T)hat spiritual Rock that followed them" is not stated in HaTorah, but is Talmudic commentary regarding the two times in HaTorah when water came out of a rock at Horeb and Kadesh. According to the Talmud those were not two rocks, but one rock that followed them. Paul is taking this Talmudic teaching and applying it to Yeshua.
first thanks for the response. second, I still hold to the fact the Rock is Christ. supportive scripture, 1 Peter 1:10 & 11 "Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow".

Maybe you can tell us who Peter is speaking of as this "Spirit". I'll be looking for your answer.

Peace in Christ Yeshua.

bluethread
Savant

Post #22

Post by bluethread »

101G wrote:
first thanks for the response. second, I still hold to the fact the Rock is Christ. supportive scripture, 1 Peter 1:10 & 11 "Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow".

Maybe you can tell us who Peter is speaking of as this "Spirit". I'll be looking for your answer.

Peace in Christ Yeshua.

As I said, I am not trying to undermine your argument. In fact, I find Paul's use of the imagery as more convincing than the original Talmudic legend. Paul is saying that the real guiding "Rock", that the sages refer to as "the rock that followed", is Ruach HaKedosh(The Holy Spirit), which he views as synonymous with Yeshua. I just didn't want you to get caught should the detractors ask you for a specific Torah reference.

101G
Apprentice

Post #23

Post by 101G »

bluethread wrote:
101G wrote:

Peace in Christ Yeshua.

As I said, I am not trying to undermine your argument. In fact, I find Paul's use of the imagery as more convincing than the original Talmudic legend. Paul is saying that the real guiding "Rock", that the sages refer to as "the rock that followed", is Ruach HaKedosh(The Holy Spirit), which he views as synonymous with Yeshua. I just didn't want you to get caught should the detractors ask you for a specific Torah reference.
GINOLJC, to all.

First thanks for the response. second, thanks for your Godly concern, that's great.

third, you're correct, It is the Holy Spirit who is JESUS in the OT.

forth, a good Torah reference, there are many others. just one example, Hebrews 3:7 "Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice".

Psalms 95:7 "For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. To day if ye will hear his voice,.

just one more, Psalms 95:8 &9 "Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness: When your fathers tempted me proved me, and saw my work".

who was this that was tempted in the wilderness? right back to Hebrews 3:9 "When your fathers tempted me proved me, and saw my works forty years

there is that Rock, JESUS, in the OT without flesh, without bone, and without blood, the Spirit, the Holy Spirit.

and again, thanks my friend.

Peace in Christ Yeshua, the Holy Spirit.