Just Believe!!!

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

Just Believe!!!

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

Christians are often ridiculed for their "blind faith"; skeptics retort to evangelical attempts with "show me some proof!" Sadly, Christians will appeal to "faith over reason".

But is this not a distortion of the N.T.?

Two quetions: Did Paul (our earliest Christian writer) require blind faith when he championed the doctrine of "solo fidei" (yes, a latin anachronism)? Or was "by faith" not an apologetic doctrine, but a soteriological one?

Where, when and/or why did "faith" become an appeal to unintellectual assent to a doctrine?

marco
Savant

Post #21

Post by marco »

William wrote:
Even that Paul had an unusual experience doesn't mean that this signifies his new path is 'the only one' but I suppose this is a natural enough reaction for anyone as they are approached in the context of their belief systems and respond in light of that.
It is usual for people with an "unusual experience" like Paul's to attribute this not to psychological mischief but to heaveny favour. It magnifies the recipient and very often allows him (usually him) to found yet another religion that has yet another insight into yet another truth. Being articulate helps a heap. The recipients of this divine hallucination will tell their flocks to "believe" that they might understand. And they do; often scorning others who believe that they might understand another version of heaven's favour.

101G
Apprentice

Re: Just Believe!!!

Post #22

Post by 101G »

liamconnor wrote: Christians are often ridiculed for their "blind faith"; skeptics retort to evangelical attempts with "show me some proof!" Sadly, Christians will appeal to "faith over reason".

But is this not a distortion of the N.T.?

Two quetions: Did Paul (our earliest Christian writer) require blind faith when he championed the doctrine of "solo fidei" (yes, a latin anachronism)? Or was "by faith" not an apologetic doctrine, but a soteriological one?

Where, when and/or why did "faith" become an appeal to unintellectual assent to a doctrine?
I must agree with Overcomer here, FAITH is not BLIND. Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen". and the apostle Thomas statement and the Lord Jesus respond make this clear.

John 20:27 "Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

John 20:28 "And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

John 20:29 "Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed".

the Lord Jesus is real, if one is born again from above, then one by Faith will recognize the Lord Jesus and his words. John 10:24-27 "Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly

.John 10:25 "Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.

John 10:26 "But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, (STOP, that's the answer) as I said unto you.

John 10:27 "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me".

Peace in Christ Yeshua, the Lord Jesus, the almighty one.

PS either one is a "Sheep" or a goat.

marco
Savant

Post #23

Post by marco »

101G wrote:

John 20:27 "Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side:

Just a small point: one would have thought that Christ's "glorified body" would have been remarkably healed. If the poor soul was walking around with wounds untended he must still have been suffering. It was very brave of Jesus to risk infection, having Tom put his fingers into open wounds. But then Jesus was a carpenter, not a doctor.

Best not ask too many question: just believe!

rstrats
Scholar

Post #24

Post by rstrats »

marco,
re: "Best not ask too many question: just believe!"

Is there any implication in that comment that you think that folks have the ability to consciously choose, i.e., engender a belief in something?

marco
Savant

Post #25

Post by marco »

rstrats wrote: marco,
re: "Best not ask too many question: just believe!"

Is there any implication in that comment that you think that folks have the ability to consciously choose, i.e., engender a belief in something?
I'm afraid this is so laconic I am at a loss to interpret what you mean.

You do know that my statement was ironic? I was repeating the OP.

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #26

Post by Peds nurse »

Hello!

Faith is being sure of what we hope for, it is being certain of what we do not see. Our hope is in Jesus Christ who died for our sins. This sacrifice was necessary when Adam and Eve were expelled from the presence of God because of their sin. We have forgiveness, but the blood spilled from the animals that were unmarred and without blemish, and later Christ, was for our redemption. In the Old Testament God stated that He required mercy not sacrifice, and as contradictory as that may seem, it really isn't. For in Christ, we are granted the mercy that gives redemption for our souls. We are restored to a right state with God. Perhaps Christians don't live this to its full understanding, but we are certain of the promise.