Why are people so determined

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Why are people so determined

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Why are so many people so determined to worship Jesus? It is not a Biblical imperative. "Worship Jesus" is not a Commandment. And there is plenty of Biblical evidence that Jesus is not God. (Just talk to any Jehovah's Witness, most seem adept at supporting their beliefs with Scripture)

So why is it that so many people are so determined to worship Jesus? Even in light of evidence (Biblical and otherwise) that Jesus is not God.

Childhood or cultural conditioning? Indoctrination? Or hero worship taken to the extreme?

Is the prevelance of Jesus-worship evidence of a very human tendency to worship our heroes?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

myth-one.com
Savant

Re: Why are people so determined

Post #101

Post by myth-one.com »

marco wrote:
myth-one.com wrote:
There are two groups -- believers and nonbelievers.

Infants do not believe in Jesus.

How terribly vile of them. And the punishment for being an infant used to be an eternity in that part of hell called Limbo. Those who compose their own Bible have to battle with inconsistencies they have created. To say someone is a "non-believer" is to accuse that person of actively refusing to accept God. This does not apply to babies. It is equally true that babies don't write or read or sing or compose Gregorian chants. Only an idiot God would hold them to account for these inadequacies. And God, as we know, is not an idiot.

Luke 17: 2 puts it this way, in defence of unbelieving babies:
"It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he be cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones."
Every human who ever lived will be resurrected again to life.

Christians will be resurrected and born again into everlasting spiritual life at the Second Coming.

Deceased non-believers will be resurrected a thousand years later.

Infants will be resurrected at this second resurrection, grow to maturity, be taught the gospel, and make informed decisions regarding everlasting life through believing in Jesus or everlasting death at that time.

It will be their choice.

marco
Savant

Post #102

Post by marco »

myth-one.com wrote:
Christians will be resurrected and born again into everlasting spiritual life at the Second Coming.

And so salvation depends on the rotation of planet Earth. Amazing.
myth-one.com wrote:

Infants will be resurrected at this second resurrection, grow to maturity, be taught the gospel, and make informed decisions regarding everlasting life through believing in Jesus or everlasting death at that time.

It will be their choice.

Who will instruct? What will they eat? Will they be breast fed? Will any medical conditions be attended to by some celestial doctor, preferably not Aquinas? What would be the purpose of their vegetating or are they allowed to sin, to marry or become priests, instructing each other? Where would one find all these ideas assembled and who was responsible for their formuation? I would be interested in reading the credentials of the originator.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #103

Post by myth-one.com »

myth-one.com wrote: Christians will be resurrected and born again into everlasting spiritual life at the Second Coming.

marco wrote: And so salvation depends on the rotation of planet Earth. Amazing.
I totally do not understand this comment.
marco wrote: Who will instruct? What will they eat? Will they be breast fed? Will any medical conditions be attended to by some celestial doctor, preferably not Aquinas? What would be the purpose of their vegetating or are they allowed to sin, to marry or become priests, instructing each other? Where would one find all these ideas assembled and who was responsible for their formuation? I would be interested in reading the credentials of the originator.
These ideas can be found in a book I've read.

The originator is all powerful, all knowing, righteous, loving, honest, trustworthy, creative, and other qualities associated with God.

Jack
Apprentice

Post #104

Post by Jack »

[Replying to marco]

Let the children come to me and do not hinder them for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you anyone who does not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.

Children go to heaven Jesus said so.

marco
Savant

Post #105

Post by marco »

myth-one.com wrote:

I totally do not understand this comment:
And so salvation depends on the rotation of planet Earth. Amazing.

1000 years is a measure of the number of times the Earth, as opposed to the planet Mercury, orbits the sun. It seems silly to restrict God to human time, but not impossible I suppose.
myth-one.com wrote:
These ideas can be found in a book I've read.

The originator is all powerful, all knowing, righteous, loving, honest, trustworthy, creative, and other qualities associated with God.

We read with discernment, selecting what seeems wise and discarding what seems foolish. All books, however badly written, can impart advice. I cannot see any value in presenting a group of complimentary adjectives and sticking them on God's lapel. True, Muslims do this with Allah's hundred titles, but it seems a tedious pursuit and, if pleasing to God, he is easily amused.

You are possibly hinting at why people adore Jesus, for they need to use their superlatives somewhere.

marco
Savant

Post #106

Post by marco »

Jack wrote: [Replying to marco]

Let the children come to me and do not hinder them for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you anyone who does not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.

Yes, that's what I would have thought. However if, as I am told, there are two types: believers and non-believers and children do not believe, then surely non-believing babies are in danger.

But since Jesus appears to devalue this idea - which is what I argued earlier - it may be this type of common-sense salvation that makes him popular and adored. Muhammad came out equally in favour of babies when he said it wasn't nice to bury baby girls alive. So both prophets display amazing humanity - ergo their popular appeal.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #107

Post by myth-one.com »

Jack wrote: [Replying to marco]

When Jesus made that statement, He was not in Heaven.
And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Jesus Christ. (II Timothy 3:15)
The untold numbers of people resurrected as mortals at the second resurrection will have their first true choice between accepting or rejecting Jesus as their personal Savior at that time. Who will teach them the scriptures so that they can make an informed decision? Children! Who are these children? They are those Christians who were born again as spiritual children of God at the first resurrection:
Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection. (Luke 20:36)
These children of the resurrection are now one thousand years of age, having lived through the millennium period of rest and training. In fact, they are only one day old children!

Remember that they are now immortal spiritual beings, and to them one thousand years are as one of mortal man's days. So these born again Christians are still children, being one day old.

The pastors and priests which we are familiar with today did not accomplish the job. These born again Christians who are now children of the resurrection have become the immortal spiritual priests of God and Christ:
Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years. (Revelation 20:6)
These priests will teach the true gospel message of the scriptures to the untold number of nonbelievers who were resurrected again as physical beings at the second resurrection. This will include infants.

Incredibly, the vast bulk of humanity will not hear the true gospel message from piously robed "men of God" with honorary prefixes attached to their names. They will hear it from children! These one day old spiritual children of God:
And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures... (II timothy 3:15)

As these mortals accept Jesus as their Savior they will be born again (converted) as spiritual children of God:
Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:3)

Those who still reject Jesus will suffer the second death when cast into the fires of hell. What will happen to them? Since they are mortal beings, they will quickly perish in the fire:
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

marco
Savant

Post #108

Post by marco »

myth-one.com wrote:
These children of the resurrection are now one thousand years of age ….
Remember that they are now immortal spiritual beings, and to them one thousand years are as one of mortal man's days. So these born again Christians are still children, being one day old.....

The pastors and priests which we are familiar with today did not accomplish the job.
One wonders how you can know all this. Time in God's dimension means nothing I would suppose.
myth-one.com wrote:
and shall reign with him a thousand years. (Revelation 20:6)
Hmmm. I wonder what the significance of one thousand is.
myth-one.com wrote:
These priests will teach the true gospel message of the scriptures to the untold number of nonbelievers who were resurrected again as physical beings at the second resurrection. This will include infants.
It seems surreal. Cannot heaven instruct instantaneously? It seems rather horrible that having escaped homilies on Earth, one must endure them again in heaven. If the Bible is the sum total of celestial knowledge and achievement, we are not to be blesssed with much.
myth-one.com wrote:

Incredibly, the vast bulk of humanity will not hear the true gospel message from piously robed "men of God" with honorary prefixes attached to their names. They will hear it from children! These one day old spiritual children of God:

Yes it is incredible. God has a sense of humour then.
myth-one.com wrote:

Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:3)

Most readers would have foolishly taken this as figurative language.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #109

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

EJ, your question is a very good one. I hope people will stop and consider that for a moment.

Why is it that people will throw a pot of hot tar on a person before they will accept the fact that Jesus is what he said he was---God's SON? (John 10:36) Why? What is so bad about recognizing Jehovah as the "only true God," as Jesus said (John 17:3)?

Jehovah is "the Most High," and even the King James Bible says so (Psalm 83:18).

So why do people get their knickers in a twist when someone even mentions "Jehovah?"

Folks had rather take a few twisted, vague, contradictory verses that do not CLEARLY show that Jesus is God, than believe the MANY references to YHWH being God, who could be nothing other than. On top of that, the "twisted, vague, contradictory" verses are made so by men who change Bible statements to fit their own idea of God. Thankfully, most true renderings have been spared, so we can see quite plainly who God is, in the majority of scriptures, that have not been tampered with.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #110

Post by onewithhim »

bjs wrote: [Replying to Elijah John]

Will you at least agree that this is by far the minority opinion? The vast, vast majority of people who study the scriptures agree that the NT portrays Jesus as God.

JWs, Mormons, and a few other small sect say that the scriptures do not teach that Jesus is God. The overwhelming majority of people say that scriptures teach that Jesus is God.

Blaming this on indoctrination or hero worship seems like a cop out (and one that I feel is unworthy of you EJ. You’re better than that).
The truth is that being the majority doesn't make them right. Jesus himself indicated that there would be a number of people who would claim to be Christian, but would not be. He also said that FEW would be on the road leading to life. So the majority loses.

"Go in through the narrow gate, because broad is the gate and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are going through it; whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and FEW are finding it." (Matthew 7:13,14)

"Not everyone [calling me] 'Lord' will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father. Many will say to me in that day: 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?' And then I will declare to them: 'I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!'" (Matt.7:21-23)