Micah Chapter 5 is prophecy?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Micah Chapter 5 is prophecy?

Post #1

Post by rikuoamero »

Several times on this website, a Christian has pointed to Micah Chapter 5 as being true prophecy that correctly predicts Jesus Christ.
Specifically...they point to Verse 2. Recently, a Christian quoted that verse in another thread having made the claim that this is true prophecy.
"But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times."~Micah
I want to ask Christians on this site how this is any way refers to Jesus Christ? I am aware the Gospels place Jesus's birthplace as being the town of Bethlehem, but the clan known as Bethlehem Ephrathah?

I also want to ask Christians how they can say Jesus fulfilled this prophecy, and more importantly, that they can prove it? This verse says that the one who is to come, will be ruler over Israel.
I as a skeptic cannot accept claims of Jesus being ruler of Israel in a theological sense (such as saying Jesus Christ is King of Kings and Lord of Lords, or sits at the right hand of God who gave him dominion of all things). That would be yet another claim that would have to be proven, and thus cannot itself be used as the "evidence" for the fulfillment of verse 2.

What about verses 5 and 6?
And he will be our peace
when the Assyrians invade our land
and march through our fortresses.
We will raise against them seven shepherds,
even eight commanders,
6 who will rule[c] the land of Assyria with the sword,
the land of Nimrod with drawn sword.[d]
He will deliver us from the Assyrians
when they invade our land
and march across our borders.

Did Jesus have anything to do with the Assyrians? I did a keyword search for "Assyria", "Assyrian" and "Assyrians" on Biblegateway, searching through the KJV, NIV, ASV, GNT and ESV publications of the Bible, from Matthew to Revelations.
I got ZERO results for all three searches, and this is Biblegateway! Not exactly a bastion of blaspheming atheist heathens.

Unless you want to completely rewrite languages, and give new definitions, new meanings to commonly known words...it seems to me that Micah Chapter 5 is talking about some sort of military leader, who will send generals to rule Assyria, conquer it, and protect Israel from invading Assyrians.

Question for Discussion - Christians, why is it you guys quote Verse 2 when it obviously has nothing at all to do with your Jesus Christ? Why is it you guys NEVER quote Verses 5 and 6, whenever you are challenged to provide true prophecy predicting Jesus?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #21

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 20 by PinSeeker]
I absolutely did not. I said Assyria invaded Israel. Israel would have had to have won and then invaded Assyria for that to happen, and neither is what occurred. You thinking or asserting that I said that is absolutely astounding.
You left out what I said after "You did", which would give readers the reason why I said it. The reason why I said you did is because you are saying Micah 5 came true...which would require Israel to have, in some way, conquered Assyria.
Since now you are agreeing with me that this hasn't happened, then Micah 5 has not come true.
LOL! No, the Israelites were taken captive and assimilated into the Assyrian Empire. Good God. And actually, they were placed in Babylon, which was ruled by the Babylonians.
I'm not God, so I don't know why you keep calling me that... :P
Anyway, what do you think happened to the land of Israel once the Israelite people were taken captive and placed in Babylon? Did the Assyrians just go back to their own lands? Did the Assyrians not exercise any sort of control or influence over the lands of Israel?
That's right. He only related the word of God to the Israelites. That's what Biblical prophecy is. Biblical prophecy is not prediction of the future, Riko.
This here is important. So biblical prophecy is NOT prediction of the future. Glad I got that in writing.
So why is it Christians say there are prophecies in the Bible, things that foretold the future? I get statements like this all the time. Here's Matt Slick from Carm.org talking about the Bible and prophecy
https://carm.org/prophecy-bible-and-jesus
" If just one prophecy failed, then we would know that God is not the true God because the creator of all things, which includes time, would not be wrong about predicting the future."
Or how about Answers in Genesis?
https://answersingenesis.org/is-the-bib ... -prophecy/
"Accurate predictions of future events that have virtually no probability of occurring by coincidence are spectacular precisely because they seem so suprahuman."
"Critics of the Bible, for instance, have squirmed over the prophetic insights of Daniel, the sixth-century BC Jewish prophet in Babylon. With eye-opening precision, Daniel interpreted two sets of dreams, one by a pagan ruler (chapter 2) and the other by the prophet himself (chapter 7), thereby forecasting the entire course of Middle East history over the next five centuries."
Or how about the Roman Catholics?
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12473a.htm
" Understood in its strict sense, it means the foreknowledge of future events, though it may sometimes apply to past events of which there is no memory, and to present hidden things which cannot be known by the natural light of reason."

You sir, are literally the first Christian I've come across who takes the view that prophecies in the Bible are not predictions of the future.
Is there any reason why you have (to my knowledge) never before made this distinction? Have you debated Biblical prophecies with others and informed them that you treat them not as predictors of the future?
Once again: MICAH. DID. NOT. PREDICT. ANYTHING.
So why is it that when I debate other Christians, they point to Micah 5 as a prophecy, a predictor of the future, and say this is what Jesus did? They say things to the tune of "Micah predicts the messiah will be born in Bethlehem, and that's where Jesus indeed was born!"
Micah told the Israelites that the Assyrians would invade, because God told him to tell them that. He told them that. The Assyrians invaded.
So then the author of Micah saw the future (relative to his point in time of course), or was told of the future by God. Knowledge of then future events was being passed on.

So why describe Micah as not predicting the future?
Micah told the Israelites that God's promises were still true, that God would send the Messiah back, because God told him to tell them that. He told them that. Jesus hasn't yet returned, but He most definitely will.
Where in Micah is there mention of a second coming of the Messiah? Even if there is in fact one, shouldn't this count as a prediction of the future?
But -- one more time -- Micah was not and is not predicting anything. He was merely relating to the Israelites -- and to us -- WHAT GOD SAID.
Is your hang up that I say "Micah predicted" instead of saying "God predicted"? If so, I can sorta understand, I too value precision in my writings.
Yeah, you "see" wrongly.
Well then, this argument becomes pointless then, doesn't it? Apparently, from what you say, what I see, the text that is on the page in front of me, the references to Israelites sending military officers is NOT what it says. You see something different, and somehow, for some reason, you think that what YOU see is correct, and that what I see is wrong.
However...how is what I see wrong?
The seven shepherds and eight leaders of men (again, not merely 15 people, but "enough" and "more than enough" men to accomplish the task) are the Medes and Babylonians,
Who wouldn't have been acting in any way for Israel, or under their command or influence. You even admitted that the Bablyonians took the Israelites to Bablyon...so how is this in any way reflective of what Micah says? Where's the part about Israel sending military commanders?
What God said would happen indeed happened.
I've already asked whether the Babylonians were in some way sent by Israel, you said no, so how is this fulfilling what God said via Micah would happen? Are you content with a "prophecy" that is only partly fulfilled?
The Assyrians were never under Babylonian rule, but driven out.
You sure? Maps of the Assyrian Empire overlap (for the most part) with maps of the Neo-Babylonian Empire

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by PinSeeker »

rikuoamero wrote:you are saying Micah 5 came true...which would require Israel to have, in some way, conquered Assyria.
Nope. In Micah 5... this must be about the 20th time... what Micah is relating to the Israelites is God's warning that they will have trouble. Not that they will go to war with them, not anything else, other than, the Assyrians will invade and give the Israelites trouble. That's what happened. There was no war. The Assyrians took the Israelites. The Israelites were taken captive and sent to Babylon, which at that time was part of the Assyrian Empire. What God (through Micah) said would happen happened.
rikuoamero wrote:...what do you think happened to the land of Israel once the Israelite people were taken captive and placed in Babylon? Did the Assyrians just go back to their own lands? Did the Assyrians not exercise any sort of control or influence over the lands of Israel?
They basically annexed part of Israel -- the Northern Kingdom, Judah in particular -- into the Assyrian Empire.
rikuoamero wrote:So biblical prophecy is NOT prediction of the future.
Well, it's not a "prediction of the future" by any one of the prophets in the Bible. Yes, God reveals some things that are going to happen. But Micah, Isaiah, any of the others, are just relating to the Israelites and to us what God has said.
rikuoamero wrote:You sir, are literally the first Christian I've come across who takes the view that prophecies in the Bible are not predictions of the future.
That's probably true, and probably because you've been listening to the wrong folks.
rikuoamero wrote:So why is it that when I debate other Christians, they point to Micah 5 as a prophecy, a predictor of the future, and say this is what Jesus did? They say things to the tune of "Micah predicts the messiah will be born in Bethlehem, and that's where Jesus indeed was born!"
Maybe they were just stating it clumsily, or maybe you're just recounting their words inaccurately. The more correct way to say that would be that God foretold, through Micah, that Jesus would be born in Bethlehem. And whoever you're referring to might agree with that and say, "Yeah, what I said wasn't really accurate."
rikuoamero wrote:So then the author of Micah saw the future (relative to his point in time of course), or was told of the future by God. Knowledge of then future events was being passed on.
The latter, not the former. It was like me telling someone else what Riko said.
rikuoamero wrote:So why describe Micah as not predicting the future?
Because Micah did not do that.
rikuoamero wrote:Where in Micah is there mention of a second coming of the Messiah?
Verse 3. We've already been over this...
rikuoamero wrote:...shouldn't this count as a prediction of the future?
Not in the case of Micah, no.

And God is not in our linear time. He IS, which is revealed in His very name: "I AM." Yesterday, today, tomorrow, He IS. So He's not "predicting the future," either, really.
rikuoamero wrote:
The seven shepherds and eight leaders of men (again, not merely 15 people, but "enough" and "more than enough" men to accomplish the task) are the Medes and Babylonians,
Who wouldn't have been acting in any way for Israel, or under their command or influence.
Right, not directly, no. They would have been acting in their own self interests. Correct. But God used what the Medes and Babylonians did for the good of Israel. Which fits with Romans 8:28, where Paul tells us that God works all things together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.
rikuoamero wrote:You even admitted that the Bablyonians took the Israelites to Bablyon...
Yeah, if I did, that was a slight misstatement. The Assyrians relocated the Israelites to Babylon, which at that time was part of the Assyrian Empire. I think I since clarified this, but if not, I am doing so now.
rikuoamero wrote:
The Assyrians were never under Babylonian rule, but driven out.
You sure? Maps of the Assyrian Empire overlap (for the most part) with maps of the Neo-Babylonian Empire
Seems entirely possible to me that there may have been lands that both empires claimed at one time or another, does it not to you?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #23

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 22 by PinSeeker]
Nope. In Micah 5... this must be about the 20th time... what Micah is relating to the Israelites is God's warning that they will have trouble. Not that they will go to war with them, not anything else, other than, the Assyrians will invade and give the Israelites trouble. That's what happened. There was no war. The Assyrians took the Israelites. The Israelites were taken captive and sent to Babylon, which at that time was part of the Assyrian Empire. What God (through Micah) said would happen happened.
There was no war.

Drums fingers on the table
Care to run that by me one more time please? So the Assyrians just strolled up to Samaria, took the Israelites captive...and there was no war?