Russian Ban of Jehovah's Witnesses

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Russian Ban of Jehovah's Witnesses

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Jehovah's Witneses in Russia a facing an imminent ban which would criminalize all of Jehovah's Witnessses in the country as "extremists". Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide are presently conducting a letter writing campaign to protest this injustice.
CLATIFICATION 2020: Since the ban of the Watchtower Society was eventually passed in April 2017 thread is specifically to discuss the actual charges mentioned in the State procesution papers and the subseqent arrests under the specific charges under Article 282.2 (1) of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation (RF Criminal Code) of EXTREMISM in Russia.

What is your opinion of this move? Should Jehovah's Witnesses be banned from meeting to pray, read their bibles and sing spiritual songs together?

Do you think such a move could be envisioned elsewhere?

If you are non-religious, would you welcome such measures as a move to ultimately eliminate organized religion?

https://www.jw.org/en/news/releases/by- ... at-of-ban/
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:10 am, edited 6 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #131

[Replying to post 121 by JoeyKnothead]

I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses, if I were in Russia it would presently be illegal for me to read my bible with my friends or meet to pray with them without running the risk of prison. Are you happy about this?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #132

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 131:
JehovahsWitness wrote: I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses, if I were in Russia it would presently be illegal for me to read my bible with my friends or meet to pray with them without running the risk of prison. Are you happy about this?
I propose that question'd be better asked of the victims of the abuse and then the cover-ups.

But naw, you're cool by me. I've only ever known you to be a kind, and considerate person. I certainly ain't trying to clump you into this wretched clod, but c'mon.

I have me no sympathy for any organization that'd cover up child sexual abuse, religious or not.

Nor do I have me sympathy for someone who'd support such an organization that'd cover 'em up the sexual abuse of a child (anyone really, but here it is, it's childs on this'n).

So, you, yeah, I'd be upset you couldn't carry on*, but as an organization? I see little need in letting such abuser-protectors and cover-uppers exist on 'em the first square inch of my property.

(*It's my firm conviction you'd cuss them folks, if it was y'all could cuss folks for it. Can y'all cuss folks? Or is that judging or such? Serious question, 'cause of y'all Jehovahs I know, I don't think I ever heard me the first one of y'all to do it.)

(And we'll get to the validity of you being you a "witness" later :tongue:)
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #133

JoeyKnothead wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses, if I were in Russia it would presently be illegal for me to read my bible with my friends or meet to pray with them without running the risk of prison. Are you happy about this?
But naw, you're cool by me. I've only ever known you to be a kind, and considerate person.

I have me no sympathy for any organization that'd cover up child sexual abuse, religious or not.

Thank you. I feel the same way as you!

[youtube][/youtube]

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #134

I have to add so much has happened in the last few months that it would be hard to outline it all. My brother (Christian) has attempted to document a fair amount in this free ebook.

Here's the link for anyone interested
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/815620

Views on the contents would be much appreciated.

JW

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #135

[Replying to post 134 by JehovahsWitness]
Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide are deeply concerned about their fellow believers in Russia and what this government-sponsored campaign will mean for them emotionally, spiritually, and physically. Philip Brumley, General Counsel for Jehovah’s Witnesses, stated: “The Russian government should stop these abuses and abide by its international commitments to respect human rights and religious freedom. Now that the authorities have shifted from attacking the Witnesses’ legal entities to imprisoning individuals, what is next for Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia?�

Read the full article
https://www.jw.org/en/news/legal/by-reg ... witnesses/

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Russian Ban of Jehovah's Witnesses

Post #136

[Replying to post 130 by historia]

I will remind you both that the OP is to discuss the present situation of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia. The situation seems to be going from bad to worse.

JW

Tcg
Savant

Re: Russian Ban of Jehovah's Witnesses

Post #137

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness]

As Jagella has pointed out on another thread, this should be a reason for you to rejoice and be glad:

"We read in Matthew 5:11-13 English Standard Version (ESV):"
Quote:
“Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #138

Post by rikuoamero »

JW, in a recent thread, you said the following.
Jesus didn't commission his followers to push for social change,
Please explain then why you have in your OP
Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide are presently conducting a letter writing campaign to protest this injustice.
If pushing for social change is NOT what Jesus taught...why are JWs doing it?

You also said
but there were honest hearted believers who were justified in avoiding persecution if possible. Indeed Jesus said, and I quote ...

Code: Select all

"When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another."- Matthew 10:23 
So why aren't Russian JWs fleeing Russia? Have you reminded Russian members of your organisation of this quote, told them that this is what Jesus taught, therefore they must flee?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #139

rikuoamero wrote:So why aren't Russian JWs fleeing Russia?

We don't interpret Jesus words as a command, the Jehovah's Witness interpretation is that it was an option. This we believe no one has the right to command another what to do in such circumstances.

There are over 170,000 Russian nationals that are Jehovah's Witnesses, they are not all in a position to flee the country. Some have dependent relatives, non-Witness partners or other responsibilities. Others could leave the country but choose to stay as per the Jehovah's Witness interpretation of t
Jesus words.

JW

Clownboat
Savant

Post #140

Post by Clownboat »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
rikuoamero wrote:So why aren't Russian JWs fleeing Russia?

We don't interpret Jesus words as a command, the Jehovah's Witness interpretation is that it was an option. This we believe no one has the right to command another what to do in such circumstances.

There are over 170,000 Russian nationals that are Jehovah's Witnesses, they are not all in a position to flee the country. Some have dependent relatives, non-Witness partners or other responsibilities. Others could leave the country but choose to stay as per the Jehovah's Witness interpretation of t
Jesus words.

JW
"When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another."- Matthew 10:23

That's awfully inconvenient. I know, let's just call this command an 'opinion'.

How is it that JW's are not serving The Watchtower? What the Bible actually says does not seem important. What The Watchtower says seems to be the actual authority of this religion. No?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb