So what are prophecies then?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

rikuoamero
Under Probation

So what are prophecies then?

Post #1

Post by rikuoamero »

Following on from my discussion on Micah 5, I was told the following by a Christian.
He only related the word of God to the Israelites. That's what Biblical prophecy is. Biblical prophecy is not prediction of the future, Riko. Open your mind. Forget about Nostradamus. LOL!
MICAH. DID. NOT. PREDICT. ANYTHING.
one more time -- Micah was not and is not predicting anything.
So I'd like to take this time and space to ask basically...what are biblical prophecies then (or what are called prophecies)? What exactly are they? Apparently, I was wrong in thinking they were foretellings of the future, descriptions of events yet to happen at the time of their writing, and that the fact they got it correct means they could only have been told by God.
Are there any other Christians on this website who agree with the above quotes? Or are Micah and other things listed by Christians as prophecies...predictions of the future?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #51

Post by PinSeeker »

rikuoamero wrote:Is this a prediction of (at the time) the future?
Sigh. As I have said many times, there is no "prediction" of anything. Micah is relating to the Israelites God's words.
rikuoamero wrote:...how is verse 3 and 4 about the second coming If I accept your claim, this means Micah Chapter 5, verse 3 and 4 are about the SECOND coming, while verse 5 and 6 take place...before it? Why wouldn't 3 and 4 be about the first coming?
As I said from the outset, Verse 2 is about the first coming. So, verse 2, 3 and 4 together are really about the whole of human history -- from a "40.000 foot view" -- from the writing of Micah, which again was around 700 B.C., all the way up to the second coming of Christ. Now, before you answer to that and go, "But-but-but-but-but," let me speak to you in another parable of sorts and try to get you to see what Micah is doing here:

A man walks into a bar and sees a fan of a college football team sitting by himself and crying. He sits down at the bar and and asks the fan what he's so upset about. "Dude, I'm really worried about my team this weekend. We're pretty good, but I just don't know, man." The man looks at the fan and pats him on the shoulder, smiles, and says, "It's only one game, my friend. There are 15 games in the season, counting the conference championship game and the two playoff games. I know how this season plays out, because a little Birdie told me. And so, to reassure you, I'm going to relay that little Birdie's message to you. Your team plays a really good team at home to start the season. They will beat your team handily. You will be 0-1, and things will look really bleak, but do not worry. In the fourth game of the season, a player whom you do not yet even know will play in his first game, and he will single-handedly carry your team. But then he will get injured and will be out for the rest of the season. Despite all this, beyond explanation, your team will continue to do well and will make it to the National Championship game. But the opposing team will look much better than your team, and all will seem to have been for nothing; a loss will seem certain. But right before that National Championship game, this star player, who you thought was lost for the season, will return and lead your team to victory. They will be National Champions. So, even though your team will get drilled in the first game, and you will have ups and downs through the season, and all may seem lost in the end, do not worry. It's a long season, and there will still be a lot of football to be played, and they will eventually be National Champions, on top of the college football world. There now. But again, this first game, yes, your team is going to get beat really bad. Even so, don't worry. It'll all be good. Feel better?" The football fan stares at the man with his mouth hanging open. Finally, he asks, "How do you know all this?" The man looks at him reassuringly and says, "I told you, a little Birdie told me. And this little Birdie is always right. I'm just telling you what the little Birdie said. So just remember, whatever happens in the short run, keep in mind what will surely happen in the long run and what the end is." The man gets up and starts toward the front door of the bar, but stops, turns around, and says, "Cheers!"... and walks out into the night.

I'm not holding my breath, of course, but maybe that will help you.
rikuoamero wrote:Face it, chronologically speaking, your interpretation of this Bible book is a bit of a mess.
That's at least part of your problem. Micah's prophecy, while chronological in a larger sense, is not s not strictly chronological. I mean, it is, but Micah zooms in and out and back in again with regard to the short term and long term. Micah writes about the short term (verse 1), then about the long term (verses 2, 3, and 4, and the very first part of verse 5. Then in the rest of verse 5 and verse 6, he refocuses on the short term. Very much like I just did in the parable above.
rikuoamero wrote:
The Bible is like that; God is His own arbiter -- Scripture interprets Scripture.
Then please tell me where you got this from:
Remain faithful, as I have remained faithful with and to you. I have always been with you, and I always will be. And I will become flesh (when I am born in Bethlehem), and I will live on earth, and even when I die I will still be with you, and I will return and be with you forevermore. I will always be with you. I will never leave nor forsake you. My steadfast love endures forever."
Those are my words, and are a paraphrasing of several different parts of Scripture. And a summation, in layman's terms, of Micah 5... a Cliffs Notes kind of thing. You are getting things mixed up (as seems to be your habit). The other passages in Scripture that I referred to that provide clarification regarding what Micah said were from the New Testament book of Romans. There seems to be no disagreement between us that verse 2 foretells Christ's first coming. So moving on:

* In Romans 1, Paul writes, "God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper, being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful..." Then, in Romans 8, Paul says, "...we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now." Knowing that Paul wrote these things more than 700 years after Micah lived clarifies what Micah was really talking about in verse 3, when he said, "Therefore He will give them up until the time when she who is in labor has borne a child."

* Even now, figuratively speaking of course,we are suffering though the pains of childbirth. But also figuratively, "that child will be born," so to speak: Jesus will return. This leads us into Micah 5:3b, where Micah says, "Then the remainder of His (Jesus's) brethren will return to the sons of Israel." This is clarified by Paul in Romans 11, where he says, "...they (ethnic Jews) also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again... a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in...." This describes the events, again, from a high view, leading up to the return of Christ.

* Then verse 4 describes Jesus's second coming and what will ensue: "He will arise and shepherd His flock in the strength of the LORD, in the majesty of the name of the LORD His God. And they will remain, because at that time He will be great to the ends of the earth." And this recalls two things, the first being the end of that passage in Romans 11, where Paul says, "...and so all Israel will be saved," and the second being what Isaiah wrote in chapter 9 of his prophecy, namely that "For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace. There will be no end to the increase of His government or of peace, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and righteousness from then on and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will accomplish this."

And then, like I said, Micah refocuses on the short term in verses 5 and 6: "This One will be our peace. When the Assyrian invades our land, when he tramples on our citadels, then we will raise against him seven shepherds and eight leaders of men. They will shepherd the land of Assyria with the sword, the land of Nimrod at its entrances; and He will deliver us from the Assyrian when he attacks our land and when he tramples our territory." And that's about finding comfort in Jesus in troubled times, not actually fighting and warring against the Assyrians and conquering them in any kind of military conflict: "Even when this all happens and enduring hardship, Jesus will be our peace."

So, in answer to your question, again, Micah is talking about Jesus's second coming -- His return -- specifically in verse 4.

I'm sure you don't buy that. Okay, I understand.[/i]

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #52

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 51 by PinSeeker]
Sigh. As I have said many times, there is no "prediction" of anything. Micah is relating to the Israelites God's words.
Just what exactly is your beef with me saying "prediction"? Is it because you think I'm implying that the author of Micah has abilities to see the future all on his own, that he's engaged in something like crystal-ball gazing or tea-leaf reading; or that I'm implying that this knowledge does not come from God?
As I said from the outset, Verse 2 is about the first coming.
Then God needs an editor. According to you, Verse 2 is the first coming, Verse 3 and 4 are the second coming, and Verse 5 & 6 are about Bablyon conquering Assyria.
In other words, a mess chronologically.
So, verse 2, 3 and 4 together are really about the whole of human history -- from a "40.000 foot view" -- from the writing of Micah, which again was around 700 B.C., all the way up to the second coming of Christ.
Your ability to see things in texts that quite simply are not there really is astounding. I read Micah Chapter 5 and I don't see this entirety of human history. I don't see a mention of major events such as the Crusades or Napoleon or the World Wars or 9/11. I see a mention of the messiah of Judaism, supposedly coming from a town or clan, and how Israel will send military men to rule Assyria by the sword, how their messiah will protect Israel from foreign invasion.
It's very hard to debate prophecies with you when you are constantly talking about things that are not in the text. One of us is talking about what's on the page. One of us is not.
Now, before you answer to that and go, "But-but-but-but-but," let me speak to you in another parable of sorts and try to get you to see what Micah is doing here:
Can't we simply discuss what Micah actually says, instead of what you are imagining is there on the page? Here's a link to the relevant chapter.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
The man gets up and starts toward the front door of the bar, but stops, turns around, and says, "Cheers!"... and walks out into the night.

I'm not holding my breath, of course, but maybe that will help you.
I'm not a sports man, but for the sake of argument I'll pretend I am...I'd think that the guy who told me all that is insane. Apparently his "birdy" is always correct?
Also, look at your parable. Look how detailed it is. Let's compare it to what you've been making of Micah. Does " In the fourth game of the season, a player whom you do not yet even know will play in his first game, and he will single-handedly carry your team. But then he will get injured and will be out for the rest of the season."
actually mean that during Game Number 4, a new player who is unknown will play his first ever game, carry the team and then suffer wounds and be unable to play? Or are there different meanings to what you said, such that it's almost like you're using a different language? Note how when Micah says that the military leaders will be sent to rule Assyria by the sword, you said that this was the Babylonians, even though the Babylonians were not actually sent by Israel. You just brushed aside the "sent" part, treating God supposedly using the Babylonian conquest as somehow counting for "sent".
That's at least part of your problem. Micah's prophecy, while chronological in a larger sense, is not s not strictly chronological.
That's if we go by what you are saying. Don't forget, what you say is not authoritative. What you say works against you, because now it means God is apparently intentionally being confusing and unclear.
Micah writes about the short term (verse 1), then about the long term (verses 2, 3, and 4, and the very first part of verse 5. Then in the rest of verse 5 and verse 6, he refocuses on the short term. Very much like I just did in the parable above.
No, your parable above does not follow what you have done with Micah. According to you, Verse 2 is the first coming of Jesus, Verse 3 and 4 are the second coming, Verse 5 and 6 are about Israel, Babylon and Assyria. This is going from future, to even further out in the future, then back again to the past.
For your parable to work like this, it would have to mean something like the team suffers their losses in the championship season, then centuries later a star player is born, then loops back to talking about their first ever season.

Oh and I have to point out...for what you say to be true, this means the author of Micah is not telling us in the text just when each verse is supposed to be taking place. Go on, read Micah like you've never heard of it or read it before. Where is the clarity that verses 2 through to 6 are talking about three different time periods?
A straight reading of it doesn't reveal this. So why should I take your word for it that there ARE three different time periods being talked about, or as you say "the entirety of human history"?
Those are my words, and are a paraphrasing of several different parts of Scripture. And a summation, in layman's terms, of Micah 5... a Cliffs Notes kind of thing.
Exactly. In other words, you are reading Scripture and coming away with what you think it means.
It's not simply the case that you are having "Scripture interpret Scripture" (whatever that means exactly). If it were, you wouldn't be presenting your own thoughts. You'd just be presenting to me chapter and verse, and nothing else.
You are getting things mixed up (as seems to be your habit).
Nope. I disagree.
The other passages in Scripture that I referred to that provide clarification regarding what Micah said were from the New Testament book of Romans. There seems to be no disagreement between us that verse 2 foretells Christ's first coming.
Actually there is. I think the Jews took the text of Micah Chapter 5 as being a foretelling (can I use the word prediction?) of their messiah.
However, I do NOT agree that this is a foretelling of a one Jesus Christ.
What evidence do we have that Jesus Christ was actually born in the town of Bethlehem?
In Romans 1, Paul writes, "God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper, being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful..." Then, in Romans 8, Paul says, "...we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now." Knowing that Paul wrote these things more than 700 years after Micah lived clarifies what Micah was really talking about in verse 3, when he said, "Therefore He will give them up until the time when she who is in labor has borne a child."
One guy waxes poetic about childbirth and this is something profound? Are you aware of what it is you yourself have just quoted? Paul talks about all of creation suffering the pains of childbirth, whereas Micah 5:3 talks about a single woman.
The two are quite different.
Even now, figuratively speaking of course,we are suffering though the pains of childbirth.
I'm a dude, so of course not literally, and if you're going to go down the figurative route...then this just means you've given yourself license to essentially make up whatever it is you want, and I can't exactly disprove it; it's a never ending game of moving the goalposts now.
But also figuratively, "that child will be born," so to speak: Jesus will return.
Oh of course. Born can mean anything. It doesn't have to mean coming out of a womb. It can mean whatever you want, and you can't be shown to be wrong.
This leads us into Micah 5:3b, where Micah says, "Then the remainder of His (Jesus's) brethren will return to the sons of Israel." This is clarified by Paul in Romans 11, where he says, "...they (ethnic Jews) also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again... a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in...." This describes the events, again, from a high view, leading up to the return of Christ.
I'm no longer going to ask you what these verses mean. By going down the figurative road, there's literally nothing you can't say that they mean. If I try to pin you down on a verse, you can always just say "No, that's not what that verse means, it actually means this other thing".
Again, one of us is dealing with the text on the page. One of us isn't.
Then verse 4 describes Jesus's second coming and what will ensue:
The only reason you think this describes a second coming, and not the first, is because Jesus obviously didn't do any of this stuff the first time around. I mean, it's not like the text actually makes this clear is it? It's not like the text says there will be two comings, and what will happen during the first, and what will happen during the second?
and the second being what Isaiah wrote in chapter 9 of his prophecy,
Shall I even bother asking whether Isaiah 9 is talking about a government here on Earth, or a spiritual kingdom? Last I checked, David didn't rule in heaven, he was king over a patch of land in the Middle East.
And that's about finding comfort in Jesus in troubled times, not actually fighting and warring against the Assyrians and conquering them in any kind of military conflict:
Of course, of course! How silly of me! I must be the world's biggest idiot. I mean, look at how stupid I've been. I read a text that's talking about invasions, and conquering of fortresses, and leaders with swords fighting against Assyria...and somehow I thought that that was what the text meant!
Of course the text means the complete opposite of what's on the page. Of course it means that Israel isn't going to conquer Assyria. Only idiots would think that...right?
So, in answer to your question, again, Micah is talking about Jesus's second coming -- His return -- specifically in verse 4.
Without bothering to inform us that that is "actually" what's being talked about specifically. God really, really needs an editor, and perhaps a teacher in composition.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

brunumb
Savant

Post #53

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 52 by rikuoamero]
Without bothering to inform us that that is "actually" what's being talked about specifically. God really, really needs an editor, and perhaps a teacher in composition.
Somehow he managed to create an incredibly complex universe and fine-tune all of the physical constants to a gazillionth of a decimal place to allow life, but then failed to apply the same skills to producing his instruction manual. Instead, the Bible is really more like something that primitive and superstitious humans, ignorant of the world they occupied, might have come up with over a period of time.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #54

Post by PinSeeker »

rikuoamero wrote:Just what exactly is your beef with me saying "prediction"?
You mean, other than the fact that it's not one? I mean, it's like me calling something red when it's really blue. Wouldn't you say, "Hey, that's not blue, it's red." I don't have any "beef." What's wrong is wrong, and deserving of correction.
rikuoamero wrote:...God needs an editor. According to you, Verse 2 is the first coming, Verse 3 and 4 are the second coming, and Verse 5 & 6 are about Bablyon conquering Assyria. In other words, a mess chronologically.
LOL! No, you need some semblance of a literary eye. It's not meant to be strictly chronological, Riko. Verse 2, 3 and 4 are long-range reasons to hold on to hope during what is immediately to follow, which is what's described in 5 and 6. Read my parable again, dude. You're not a box of rocks.
rikuoamero wrote:I read Micah Chapter 5 and I don't see this entirety of human history. I don't see a mention of major events such as the Crusades or Napoleon or the World Wars or 9/11.
My goodness. All I can do is shake my head.
rikuoamero wrote:...your parable above does not follow what you have done with Micah.
Ohhhhh, but it does. Well, it tracks along the same sort of timeline that Micah does. It does.
rikuoamero wrote:According to you, Verse 2 is the first coming of Jesus...
Right, which is equivalent with, in my parable, what will happen in the fourth game of the season, of which none have been played yet...
rikuoamero wrote:...Verse 3 and 4 are the second coming...
Right, which is equivalent to the player who emerged in game 4 unexpectedly coming back from injury to play in the National Championship game, which is nine games after game 4 and the final game of the season...
rikuoamero wrote:...Verse 5 and 6 are about Israel, Babylon and Assyria....
Right, which is equivalent to the loss the fan's team is going to suffer through in the first game, which is the next day.
rikuoamero wrote:This is going from future, to even further out in the future, then back again to the past.
No, it's going from the intermediate future and then to the long range future and then back to the immediate future, and the effect is to reassure the fan that although the immediate future is bleak, the intermediate and long-term future are guaranteed. It works quite well.
rikuoamero wrote:For your parable to work like this, it would have to mean something like the team suffers their losses in the championship season, then centuries later a star player is born, then loops back to talking about their first ever season.
Oh, boy. Maybe I was wrong about you and that box of rocks thing.
rikuoamero wrote:So why should I take your word for it that there ARE three different time periods being talked about, or as you say "the entirety of human history"?
Hey, man, suit yourself. Like that old country song says, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
rikuoamero wrote:
You are getting things mixed up (as seems to be your habit).
Nope. I disagree.
Of course you disagree. Of course. Nobody who's mixed up actually thinks they're mixed up...

Okay, Riko. That's it for me on this one, bud. <chuckles> Hoo, boy.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #55

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 54 by PinSeeker]
Ohhhhh, but it does. Well, it tracks along the same sort of timeline that Micah does. It does.
So in your parable, the guy with the birdy, does he tell the upset fan in the bar that he's speaking along the lines of thousands of years? Did birdy guy make it clear that the National Championship game, the one where the star player returns after having been wounded, is at the very least two thousand years after his injury?
You mean, other than the fact that it's not one? I mean, it's like me calling something red when it's really blue. Wouldn't you say, "Hey, that's not blue, it's red." I don't have any "beef." What's wrong is wrong, and deserving of correction.
When I say "prediction", I mean the following

Code: Select all

a statement about what will happen or might happen in the future

&#58; the act of saying what will happen in the future &#58; the act of predicting something
What is wrong with that?

The author of the Book of Micah makes a statement about something that he says will happen in the future, something that you believe did happen (such as that Jesus would be and was born in Bethlehem)...that would fall under the rubric of prediction.
LOL! No, you need some semblance of a literary eye. It's not meant to be strictly chronological, Riko.
I want to focus on that word 'meant'. How is it you know that this is what the author intended? Last I checked, the author of Micah died somewhere about 2,500 years ago (not gonna bother looking up the dates). Where does your knowledge of what the author meant come from?
I see the verses, I see no mention of there being multiple time periods, so I don't presume that the author meant multiple time periods. I don't presume to know the author means something that he never actually says, unless I have it on good authority.
What is your authority?
My goodness. All I can do is shake my head.
So you don't mean that Micah meant to include major world events within his text. I knew that. I knew that you didn't mean it. What I wanted to do was mention that myself just so you could disagree with it.
Now that you have disagreed with it, what the heck did you mean when you described Micah as describing all of human history? It can't be that Micah talks about major events such as Napoleon or the Crusades or things like that...so in what other sense do you mean.
Right, which is equivalent to the player who emerged in game 4 unexpectedly coming back from injury to play in the National Championship game, which is nine games after game 4 and the final game of the season...
I'm not a sportsball guy, but don't leagues/championships typically last 1 to 4 years, depending on the sport? So to reiterate what I said above, is Birdy Guy making it clear that the championship game is going to take place at the very least two thousand years after the star player's injury? Or does he conveniently not mention that?
No, it's going from the intermediate future and then to the long range future and then back to the immediate future, and the effect is to reassure the fan that although the immediate future is bleak, the intermediate and long-term future are guaranteed. It works quite well.
Which is what I said. From the point in time the author of Micah writes Micah, he's writing about something that will happen a few centuries from then. After that, is the second coming of Jesus (according to you), which as a necessity is at least two thousand years again on top of the first few centuries, then Verses 5 and 6 go back to talking about the Babylonians and Assyrians, which are, what? A century at most from when Micah was first penned?
And all with no explanation within the text that this is what is being meant? That what you present to me is something you have pieced together by going outside the text?
Oh, boy. Maybe I was wrong about you and that box of rocks thing.
So your parable doesn't jell with our shared real world. Your parable talks about a game and a championship that takes place all within a very short handful of years, and not the two thousand plus years you and other Christians have been waiting.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #56

Post by PinSeeker »

rikuoamero wrote: So in your parable, the guy with the birdy, does he tell the upset fan in the bar that he's speaking along the lines of thousands of years? Did birdy guy make it clear that the National Championship game, the one where the star player returns after having been wounded, is at the very least two thousand years after his injury?
Are you really this wooden-headed, Riko? Really? Let me spoon-feed you:
  • * Birdy = God
    * Man walking into bar = Micah
    * Football fan = Israelites
    * Game 1 = Assyrian invasion
    * Game 1 opponent = Assyrians
    * Games 2 and 3 = all the things that happened to the Israelites after the Assyrian invasion up to the time of Jesus's first coming
    * Weeks between Game 1 and Game 4 = 700 years between Micah's prophecy and first coming of Jesus
    * Previously unknown star player = Jesus
    * Game 4 = Jesus coming on the scene and single-handedly leading the "team" to victory
    * Game 4 opponent = Satan
    * Weeks after Game 4 leading up to Championship game = 2000-plus years leading up to Jesus return and the Final Conflict
    * Games 5-14 = all the things that happened (including the Crusades, Napoleon, the World Wars, and 9/11) and still are yet to happen in the course of history.
    * Championship Game = Jesus's second return and the Final Conflict
    * Championship Game opponent = Satan again (along with sin and death), who has made it back to the Championship Game after the loss to Jesus in Game 4
One thing I forgot to mention: The the spirit of the star player guided, inspired, and thus helped the team through games 5 through 14. And this would of course be the Holy Spirit, who is with us believers even now, helping us to persevere to the end. :D

That was actually pretty fun...
rikuoamero wrote:The author of the Book of Micah makes a statement about something that he says will happen in the future, something that you believe did happen (such as that Jesus would be and was born in Bethlehem)...that would fall under the rubric of prediction.
No, the author of Micah (Micah) relates what God had said would happen in the future. Which makes it reasonable to assume that Micah was talking about things that would happen beyond -- even far beyond -- his personal purview, or what would happen merely in his lifetime. Again, Micah did not make any kind of "prediction." You can keep banging that drum if you want, but it's just wrong. If you want to say God made a prediction, that's okay with me, too, and really not so far off-base. But God is not inside our linear time. God always IS. He lives in what we might call the "eternal now." Which is not hard to accept, but really impossible for us to wrap our finite minds around... But that's why He can talk about things in our future as if they are past tense. And that's why it can't really be termed a "prediction," even by God. But you can do what you want.
rikuoamero wrote:
LOL! No, you need some semblance of a literary eye. It's not meant to be strictly chronological, Riko.
I want to focus on that word 'meant'.
Sure you do; you want to shift the focus away from what it should be on, thereby making it easier to make your "point." First of all, you're taking the word out of context. But aside from that, you should focus on the word 'strictly.' You want to propagate that what Micah wrote in chapter 5 is strictly -- as in stridently, or overly rigidly -- chronological, and it's just not. He wrote what God "told" him to write ("The word of the LORD which came to Micah...")
rikuoamero wrote:What is your authority?
God. I can here you now: "Wha-wha-wha-wha-buh-buh-buh-buh!!! You think God talks to you! PinSeeker hear's voices! He thinks he has an open channel to God! He's crazy! Cray-cray! Cuh-RAY-zee!!" SIIIIIGH. LOL.