Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Matthew S Islam
Student

Questions for non-Trinitarians

Post #1

Post by Matthew S Islam »

Hello everyone.

Disclaimer: I am not a Trinitarian or even a Christian for that matter, but I am rather intriguied by the complexities of your religious tradition.

I am really curious to see how non-Trinitarians make sense of these issues, which I cannot help but find problematic:

The Divinity of Christ and the Doctrine of the Trinity was established as the orthodox interpretation and was enforced by the Roman authorities. This resulted in the Trinity's theological supremecy throughout Christian history and up until today.

1) If Christianity is truly from God, then why did God allow a polytheistic doctrine to contaminate the mainstream tradition? What exactly is the wisdom behind the majority of Christians being polytheists--if the religion is ultimately Divine and true?

2) If your theology is in agreement with ultimate truth and reality, then why didn't God make non-Trinitarianism the dominant trend? Isn't God expected to guide and facillitate the true religion?

3) If the Bible as we currently have it is consistent with the Will of God, then how do you justify the wisdom behind how Jesus was portrayed in the New Testament? To be more clear: Why didn't God make the matter so clear and descisive, that folks wouldn't even think of debating it? If God has Divine Knowledge and is also Merciful, then why didn't he continue the Old Testaments trend of clear speech and consistent theology? Don't you believe that God is not the author of confusion?

4) If you're willing to accept that God did not have to ensure the dominance of the correct theology over polytheism, then how are you so confident with Pauline Christianity? What if Paul is how he appears to be--an open heretic? Why 'trust' the Will of God here, when you confidently oppose the 'Will of God' at Niceae and the majority of Christian history?

Thank you!

Zog Has-fallen
Banned
Banned

Re: Questions for non-Trinitarians

Post #51

Post by Zog Has-fallen »

Matthew S wrote:My contention ultimately comes down to these points:

1) If God is not the author of your confusion, then why does the New Testament contain passages which flirt with the deity of Christ?

I want to know why the passages quoted by Trinitarians exist in the first place? In my opinion, they shouldn't even exist.

2) Why did God reveal the Torah the way He did?

In other words, why does Paul have to teach us about Jesus's Lordship?

3) Why did God choose to create the Biblical version of Jesus--considering how problematic this entity has become?
1. Why does Daniel 7:13-14 reveal a son of man being given dominion, glory, and a kingdom that all the peoples, nations, and languages should serve him?

“His dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away,
And his kingdom the one which shall not be destroyed.�

Why is Daniel’s revelation flirting with the seeming divinity of a son of man? Why can't it be that the New Testament is simply a greater and more complete revelation about this son of man: http://everythingimportant.org/God

2. Why did the prophet Daniel instruct us about the Messiah’s Lordship?

3. Why is the divinity of Jesus Christ problematic for you?

Matthew S Islam
Student

JW Audios

Post #52

Post by Matthew S Islam »

Hey JW, how's it going?

I was curious, do you have any audio sources, whether podcasts or lecture series that explain JW theology?

I have no problem finding Trinitarian content, but I cannot get my hands on any good quality Unitarian teachings.

Thanks in advance!

(I apologize for making this request within this thread. I'm only doing so because I don't have enough posts to PM you)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: JW Audios

Post #53

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Matthew S wrote: Hey JW, how's it going?

I was curious, do you have any audio sources, whether podcasts or lecture series that explain JW theology?

I have no problem finding Trinitarian content, but I cannot get my hands on any good quality Unitarian teachings.

Thanks in advance!

(I apologize for making this request within this thread. I'm only doing so because I don't have enough posts to PM you)
Hello,

Our official website is www.jw.org

I used the search engine on the top righthand corner and input "trinity" for the following links (most of our resources are available in audio: just click the play button on the top of each page or download directly onto your device)

Trinity
https://www.jw.org/en/search/?q=Trinity

For a more detailed study you can read the following booklet online but it's not available in audio or steaming.

Should You Believe in the Trinity?
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101989312

(If you use the search box on the above sister site (namely wol.jw.org) it will bring up everything we have published on the topic since 1950. The older articles however from wol.jw.org are not available in audio form or for download)

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

polonius
Prodigy

Post #54

Post by polonius »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Matthew S wrote: Hey JW, how's it going?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

Our official website is www.jw.org

I used the search engine on the top righthand corner and input "trinity" for the following links (most of our resources are available in audio: just click the play button on the top of each page or download directly onto your device)

Trinity
https://www.jw.org/en/search/?q=Trinity

For a more detailed study you can read the following booklet online but it's not available in audio or steaming.

Should You Believe in the Trinity?
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101989312

(If you use the search box on the above sister site (namely wol.jw.org) it will bring up everything we have published on the topic since 1950. The older articles however from wol.jw.org are not available in audio form or for download)

JW
QUESTION: Do JW's accept the New Revised Standard Version of the bible produced by the World Council of Churches? (The New American Bible is very similar_). Both, I believe are produced from the oldest translations in the original languages.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #55

Post by JehovahsWitness »

polonius wrote:
QUESTION: Do JW's accept the New Revised Standard Version of the bible produced by the World Council of Churches? (The New American Bible is very similar_). Both, I believe are produced from the oldest translations in the original languages.
Jehovah's Witnesses accept any translation as being of the word of God and believe truth can be found using any of them. Personally I don't mind the NRSV, it's fairly clear a and easy to understand ( I prefer it to the NAB) whose phrasing sometimes find a little difficult to follow. In any case, we (Jehovah's Witnesses) encourage those we preach to, for example to compare what we are saying with their own personal bible's regardless of the translation; and are more than happy to study with them using whatever translation they own.

That said, we don't believe all translations are equal and some make finding the truth particularly difficult, notable because of using archaic language and/or removing or replacing the Divine Name. Our publications almost exclusively reference our own New World Translation which like many Witnesses, I personally believe to be superior in quality to most if not all, other comparable translations.

JW

RELATED POSTS

Do Jehovahs Witnesses reject all other translations of the bible as the work of the Devil?
viewtopic.php?p=1100421#p1100421

To learn more please see other posts related to...

THE BIBLE , AUTHORSHIP & TRANSMISSION and ... BIBLE TRANSLATIONS
* bible interpretation
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

showme
Sage

Post #56

Post by showme »

Matthew S wrote: Hello everyone.

Disclaimer: I am not a Trinitarian or even a Christian for that matter, but I am rather intriguied by the complexities of your religious tradition.

I am really curious to see how non-Trinitarians make sense of these issues, which I cannot help but find problematic:

The Divinity of Christ and the Doctrine of the Trinity was established as the orthodox interpretation and was enforced by the Roman authorities. This resulted in the Trinity's theological supremecy throughout Christian history and up until today.

1) If Christianity is truly from God, then why did God allow a polytheistic doctrine to contaminate the mainstream tradition? What exactly is the wisdom behind the majority of Christians being polytheists--if the religion is ultimately Divine and true?

2) If your theology is in agreement with ultimate truth and reality, then why didn't God make non-Trinitarianism the dominant trend? Isn't God expected to guide and facillitate the true religion?

3) If the Bible as we currently have it is consistent with the Will of God, then how do you justify the wisdom behind how Jesus was portrayed in the New Testament? To be more clear: Why didn't God make the matter so clear and descisive, that folks wouldn't even think of debating it? If God has Divine Knowledge and is also Merciful, then why didn't he continue the Old Testaments trend of clear speech and consistent theology? Don't you believe that God is not the author of confusion?

4) If you're willing to accept that God did not have to ensure the dominance of the correct theology over polytheism, then how are you so confident with Pauline Christianity? What if Paul is how he appears to be--an open heretic? Why 'trust' the Will of God here, when you confidently oppose the 'Will of God' at Niceae and the majority of Christian history?

Thank you!
The beast with two horns like a lamb (Revelation 13:11), Constantine, is the one who is to institute and guide the "daughter of Babylon", the Roman church, which is to produce harlot daughters, the Protestant churches. With the "two horns like a lamb", Christ like leaders, Constantine was to "deceive" "those who dwell on the earth" (Revelation 13:14). This was set up in Daniel 7:25 and Zechariah 11, whereas in Zechariah 11:8, the two staffs/shepherds, Peter and Paul, were to "pasture" the "flock doomed to slaughter. The bell is about to ring, whereas the tares/lawless, the followers of Paul, will be the "first" to be "gathered up" and burned. (Matthew 13:30). tick tock

polonius
Prodigy

Post #57

Post by polonius »

showme wrote:

Thank you!
The beast with two horns like a lamb (Revelation 13:11), Constantine, is the one who is to institute and guide the "daughter of Babylon", the Roman church, which is to produce harlot daughters, the Protestant churches. With the "two horns like a lamb", Christ like leaders, Constantine was to "deceive" "those who dwell on the earth" (Revelation 13:14). This was set up in Daniel 7:25 and Zechariah 11, whereas in Zechariah 11:8, the two staffs/shepherds, Peter and Paul, were to "pasture" the "flock doomed to slaughter. The bell is about to ring, whereas the tares/lawless, the followers of Paul, will be the "first" to be "gathered up" and burned. (Matthew 13:30). tick tock
RESPONSE: You have a very creative imagination. But don't you start with the assumption that the Book of Revelation is history and not fiction?

showme
Sage

Post #58

Post by showme »

polonius wrote:
showme wrote:

Thank you!
RESPONSE: You have a very creative imagination. But don't you start with the assumption that the Book of Revelation is history and not fiction?
The book of Revelation parallels the Book of Daniel, and they are both books of prophecy, whose meaning was hidden until the "end of the age"/"end time" (Daniel 12:9). The remaining restriction is that the "wicked"/lawless, will never understand. (Daniel 12:10).