Trinity and Love

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

dakoski
Scholar

Trinity and Love

Post #1

Post by dakoski »

8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. (1 John 4:8-10)

We observe from this passage:

-Biblical love is about putting the needs of others above our own

-Love is a key attribute of God

Questions for debate:

Love requires another to love and to serve which raises interesting questions for those who think the Biblical God is a single person:
1) if God is a single person, there was a time when there was no other and therefore a time when God was not love?

2) if love requires another person to love then this attribute of God is dependent on his creation and therefore his attributes are incomplete without his creation?

dakoski
Scholar

Post #11

Post by dakoski »

[Replying to brianbbs67]
OK, please disclose the "pig russian" you speak.
Haha, yes I apologise for my poor russian. Its even worse when I'm trying to write it in a latin script rather than in cyrilic :)

marco
Savant

Post #12

Post by marco »

brianbbs67 wrote: OK, please disclose the "pig russian" you speak.

It isn't relevant to the OP but the parting expressions arose from my use of loobov in connection with dinosaurs; it was astutely spotted that this was a transliteration of the Russian for love. Vsyevo horoshevo is a genitive after the suppressed verb (zhelayoo - I wish) and means all the best. The answer given was "Everything good" in return. I was unaware that I had studied "pig Russian" but one lives and learns. Anyway these asides, as I say, arose from dealing with "love" and it seemed (to me) appropriate to depict "love" in an unfamiliar form for the OP. Mea culpa, atque mea maxima culpa as they say in "non-pig Latin". Go well.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #13

Post by brianbbs67 »

No offense was meant. I recognized it was russian with english letters. Wondered if you 2 had known each other before. Peace to you both.