Difference Between Negative Belief and Lack of Belief

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

Difference Between Negative Belief and Lack of Belief

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

For this debate, it is assumed that the person has a reasonable or even basic understanding of the targeted subject in question for belief. For example, with Zeus, it is assumed that the person knows the basic story of Zeus. Therefore, if they do lack belief, it is not because they are completely ignorant of Zeus (What's a Zeus?? Is that a Dr. Seuss character?). With this in mind:

1) I lack belief in Zeus.
2) I believe Zeus does not exist.

What is the difference between these two?

-----
This is how it plays out in my mind when someone says they lack belief in this regard:

Lonny: I lack belief in Zeus in that I lack belief that he exists.
Ronny: Do you believe he doesn't exist?
Lonny: No, I can't rule out the tiny little spec of a chance he exists.
Ronny: So 99% of you leans on the side of him not existing, and 1% of you leaves open the wild crazy possibility that he might exist. And yet you don't want to label yourself as believing he doesn't exist. You choose to say you lack belief in his existence?
Lonny: That's correct, u mad bro?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by ttruscott »

Bust Nak wrote:
ttruscott wrote: This chapter claims that ignorance of belief, (lack of belief) is basically impossible...

This is the issue whether you accept it or not.
For those who accept this, what is the point of proselytizing? Why is conversion even possible? You are talking about those who repress the truth, are antagonistic and hostile after all.
Pre-conversion, people are antagonistic and hostile to the truth to some degree or another (or there would be no need for faith by grace), even if they play a righteous game.

Ephesians 2:8 For it is by grace you have been saved through faith and this [faith salvation] is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God...

GOD uses HIS people, sheep returned to Him, to find other sheep still lost as part of the method HE has chosen to bring them to sanctification. When Rom 1 is read, it is not hard to see that it applies to all sinners because the sinful church acts the same way as those under wrath until they experience the gift of real faith, as per the scathing opinion of the Spirit about the Churches in the Revelation.

Then they find their calling to help open the eyes of more sheep to their need to return to Christ whom they left for sin.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.