Sacrificing your body for the well being of the child

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

DeMotts
Scholar

Sacrificing your body for the well being of the child

Post #1

Post by DeMotts »

If a baby is born and at some point in it's life it requires a father to donate a part of his body, even at the cost of the father's life, should the government compel the father against his will to give his body for the child's life? Is the father's body his own property or is the child's life paramount in this case? Why or why not?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Re: Sacrificing your body for the well being of the child

Post #2

Post by rikuoamero »

DeMotts wrote: If a baby is born and at some point in it's life it requires a father to donate a part of his body, even at the cost of the father's life, should the government compel the father against his will to give his body for the child's life? Is the father's body his own property or is the child's life paramount in this case? Why or why not?
It should be something strongly urged in terms of a social level...but to bring the government in? To threaten legal action? No, that's giving more power to government, especially since you say this is even at the cost of the father's life. It's essentially state mandated execution without a charge or trial.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

DeMotts
Scholar

Post #3

Post by DeMotts »

Should a woman also have the right to give or not give consent for a child to use part of her body, even at the cost of her life? Or should the government force her to give her body to the child whether she consents or not?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by rikuoamero »

DeMotts wrote: Should a woman also have the right to give or not give consent for a child to use part of her body, even at the cost of her life? Or should the government force her to give her body to the child whether she consents or not?
Same answer as before. We should urge parents to sacrifice for their children sure, but not in terms of a government coming in and forcibly ripping body parts from them.

I watched Repo: The Genetic Opera. One of the themes of that musical was of the government having the power to literally send in a Repoman, to take organs from people, even at the cost of their own life, and all because they couldn't pay their debts.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by 2ndRateMind »

[Replying to post 1 by DeMotts]

Hmmm.

If we assume the persistence of my genes decides, I have a 100% of my own genes. My children carry 50%. My grand-children carry 25%. My great grand-children carry 12.5%.*

I should therefore (if biased towards a benign calculation), sacrifice my life for 2 or more children, 4 or more grand-children, 8 or more great grand-children, etc.

Best wishes, 2RM

*Assuming no incest, or marriages of cousins, etc.

DeMotts
Scholar

Post #6

Post by DeMotts »

rikuoamero wrote:
DeMotts wrote: Should a woman also have the right to give or not give consent for a child to use part of her body, even at the cost of her life? Or should the government force her to give her body to the child whether she consents or not?
Same answer as before. We should urge parents to sacrifice for their children sure, but not in terms of a government coming in and forcibly ripping body parts from them.
Should a pregnant woman be urged by the government to sacrifice her body for her child but ultimately be asked for her consent? Or should the government decide for her?

bluethread
Savant

Post #7

Post by bluethread »

I know of no one who is suggesting such a thing. The life of the mother has always been an exception to antiabortion laws. If a man were impregnated with an embryo and it were determined that the embryo could be brought to term, without endangering the man's life, you might have an argument.

DeMotts
Scholar

Post #8

Post by DeMotts »

[Replying to post 7 by bluethread]

What about cases where it's not life or death. Should a father or mother be compelled by law to give a kidney if it's needed?