Reply to topic
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 1: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:50 am
Fomer Atheists

Like this post
Yes, I know I already have a question up. Have had it up for years, and not one reply to it. So here's to hoping making a new thread topic gets some action.

There are people on this website who are part of the user-group "Former Atheists". Site owner otseng is one of them. I'm also talking to those people who think of themselves as former atheists, even if they're not part of the user-group (have just checked its roster and only two names are on it that I recognise - otseng...and JoeyKnotHead for some reason...)

So I'd like to know - what was the impetus for your transition?

First, I'd like to know what you did and thought during that period of time you were an atheist. A typical atheist (at least here on DC'n'R and other discussion boards) asks questions, pokes holes in the logical fallacies put forth by theists. This kind of atheist knows NEVER to use arguments like the Modal Ontological Argument, or Kalam. Or that other atheists are such simply because they want to sin.

Were you an active atheist/agnostic before, did you participate in discussions much like I do today? Do you use arguments today as a theist that during your atheist/agnostic days you would have refuted?

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 2: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:15 pm

Like this post
I would like to point out for clarification that the term "atheist", simply means to not believe in any particular God. It doesn't mean that the person was actually convinced that there is no God. Or that they at any time viewed secularism as a rational philosophy.

So I suggest that many people who use the term "atheist" really mean that they were "agnostic" prior to becoming persuaded by any particularity religion.

I would also like to mention that I have seen many people who claim to have been "atheists" prior to accepting Christianity, but upon further discussion with them I have discovered that they actually used to be angry with God. (the Biblical God) prior to finally accepting Christ as their savior.

The problem there is that people who used to be angry with God before deciding to do what they believe the God wants them to do, were definitely not "atheists". Believing in a God that a person does not like does not make them an atheist. In fact, in that case they were actually a theist who was angry with the God that they believe exists, before finally changing their opinion of the very same God.

Obviously this won't apply to everyone who claims to have been an atheist prior to changing their position on religion. But it clearly applies to some because their own personal testimonies have revealed the fact that they had a bone to pick with this God that they supposedly didn't believe in. And that clearly shows that they believed in the God even when they claimed to be an "atheist".

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 3: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:39 am

Like this post
[Replying to post 2 by Divine Insight]

Quote:
So I suggest that many people who use the term "atheist" really mean that they were "agnostic" prior to becoming persuaded by any particularity religion.

I would also like to mention that I have seen many people who claim to have been "atheists" prior to accepting Christianity, but upon further discussion with them I have discovered that they actually used to be angry with God. (the Biblical God) prior to finally accepting Christ as their savior.

Good points. Perhaps there should be a new usergroup - "Former Agnostics"? "Former Misotheists?"
Anyway, what I'm hoping to hear from are "actual" former atheists (and I hate to use the word actual there), atheists like yourself and myself, people who at a previous point in their lives were like I am today - a person who doesn't believe in a God or Gods, who debated and could debunk most if not all typical theistic arguments.
For example - I'd love to hear from someone who has debated, argued and refuted Kalam, or Modal Ontological but is now a theist who uses those arguments. I'd like to hear just why they use arguments they previously rejected. What changed?

Goto top, bottom

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

On The Web | Ecodia | Facebook | Twitter