Debates on Christianity, Creation vs Evolution, Philosophy, Politics and Religion, Ethics, Current Events, and Religious issues

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic
2ndRateMind
First Post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:56 am  How much should one donate to charity? Reply with quote

I wonder if there is a formula for this, that we all might agree is ethical?

For example, if $X is your income, and $Y is your basic cost of living, then maybe $Charity should = ($X-$Y) *20%, and this might be such a formula.

As ethical dilemmas go, this would seem to me to be a constant problem for all of us would be philanthropists, who still want to maintain a degree of prudent management over their financial situation.

How do you calculate your charitable donations, or do you not calculate at all, just go with gut sentiment, and what you have available at any given point in time?

Best wishes, 2RM.
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 11: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:06 am
Re: How much should one donate to charity?

Like this post
[Replying to post 10 by Tcg]

It seems that it is our job to feed the hungry. After all, we have put in place the economic arrangements that have left them so poor.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 12: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:43 pm

Like this post
2ndRateMind wrote:

It seems that it is our job to feed the hungry.

It seems that your claim was that God answered your prayer.

Is there some reason you have concluded that prayer is useless in this case?

If not, why are you ignoring the solution I recommended?

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 13: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:54 pm

Like this post
Tcg wrote:

2ndRateMind wrote:

Indeed. That is my claim. And my prayer was on exactly this topic, that God should save the world (and I meant temporally, rather than spiritually). But, instead of saving the world, for some reason best known to Himself, He chose to save me instead, (and I mean spiritually, rather than temporally) despite the fact that I found it most inconvenient at the time.

So, I guess that is His way of saying: 'Your problem. You deal with it.'

Best wishes, 2RM.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 14: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:44 pm

Like this post
2ndRateMind wrote:

Tcg wrote:

2ndRateMind wrote:

Indeed. That is my claim. And my prayer was on exactly this topic, that God should save the world (and I meant temporally, rather than spiritually). But, instead of saving the world, for some reason best known to Himself, He chose to save me instead, (and I mean spiritually, rather than temporally) despite the fact that I found it most inconvenient at the time.

So, I guess that is His way of saying: 'Your problem. You deal with it.'

Best wishes, 2RM.

So, you admit that prayer was/is useless. I couldn't agree more.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 15: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:47 pm

Like this post
[Replying to post 14 by Tcg]

Not to me, it wasn't. It, and it's answer, which was the invasion of my heart by the love of God for all creation, utterly changed my life, and my understanding of life, for the better, forever.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Goto top, bottom

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

On The Web | Ecodia | Facebook | Twitter