Civil. Respectful. Intelligent. Thoughtful. Challenging.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic
sleepyhead
First Post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:09 am  Do you believe in free will Reply with quote

Hello,

Occasionally when debating non thesist, they claim that there is no free will. I was wondering if this was a prevalent viewpoint among non theists or if it was only a few. Does a non belief in free will help in supporting an argument for you.
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 21: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:19 pm

Like this post
I believe in free will in a way....

I say in a way because, looking at it from one point of view, everything is really determined, even though who-we-are is the determiner ( in my view, the Self). From one perspective everything that happens has already happened, because - I believe - linear time is an illusion and everything actually happens (or has happened) simultaneously.

But we are free every moment that we are conscious of ourselves, if only to a minute extent. We are free in-keeping with the predetermined script that is given to us. Freedom is only secondary regarding individual choices we make. The ground of our being able to make choices is the foundation of dignity and self-determination that we each possess. Our choices flow from this dignity and self-determination, and we can never separate from it. Ultimately, all of us yearn to be free because that is our nature.

Free choice then can only be an individual participation in the timeless Freedom that we always are.

I am a theist but, depending on one's definition of God, even an atheist can believe this. But not, in my view, a materialist.

Goto top, bottom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

On The Web | Ecodia | Facebook | Twitter