Abortion

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Texan Christian
Student
Location: A small house on a big ranch, in a small town in the big state of Texas

Abortion

Post #1

Post by Texan Christian »

Do y'all believe it is acceptable for a woman to have an abortion?

IMO:

when a woman says "I should decide what to do with my body" I'm like "well... first of all that baby isn't part of your body, it's someone else's body, so yeah..."

what're yalls views on this topic? post below!

Good day and God Bless :)

myth-one.com
Savant

Re: Abortion

Post #81

Post by myth-one.com »

RightReason wrote: [Replying to Divine Insight]
Laws should be made to protect the rights of the citizens of the state.
A fertilized egg has not yet become a citizen of the state. Therefore the laws should be made to protect the woman's right to choose, since she is a citizen of the state.

Huh? Do we not have inalienable rights? Why should anyone’s rights be defined or determined by someone else? And who gets to do the deciding/determining? And upon what standard are they determining? Perhaps the standard that we all have natural rights. And if this is the case, then the unborn should have these natural rights as well – simply in being a human being (which, I’m pretty sure science shows they are). Clearly, it is not about being a citizen.

Reminds me of this funny video drawing illogical arguments out to their logical conclusion . . .

How do fertilized eggs exercise their natural rights?

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #82

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to myth-one.com]
How do you exercise yours? I have a feeling how you exercise your human rights differs from how a 2 year old exercises his, or a person in a vegetative state, or a person in prison, or a baby in utero, or a 10 year old, or a person with Downs Syndrome, etc.

Human beings undergo different stages of development, but they are always human beings with unalienable rights.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #83

Post by myth-one.com »

RightReason wrote: [Replying to myth-one.com]
How do you exercise yours? I have a feeling how you exercise your human rights differs from how a 2 year old exercises his, or a person in a vegetative state, or a person in prison, or a baby in utero, or a 10 year old, or a person with Downs Syndrome, etc.

Human beings undergo different stages of development, but they are always human beings with unalienable rights.
I exercise my rights personally.

Personally?

Or are they exercised by others for them?

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #84

Post by RightReason »

Personally?
Are you implying if a person can’t exercise his/her rights personally, then he/she has none?

So . . . . to you a person in a vegetative state, a person with severe mental disability, and a 6 month old baby do not have natural rights?

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #85

Post by myth-one.com »

RightReason wrote: [Replying to myth-one.com]

Personally?
Are you implying if a person can’t exercise his/her rights personally, then he/she has none?

So . . . . to you a person in a vegetative state, a person with severe mental disability, and a 6 month old baby do not have natural rights?
No.

You claimed that the unborn have natural rights.

I then asked you, "How do fertilized eggs exercise their natural rights?"

You answered that question with a question: "How do you exercise yours?"

I answered that "I exercise my rights personally."

That says nothing about anyone not having natural rights.

Can you answer the following question:

Can fertilized eggs exercise their natural rights?

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #86

Post by RightReason »

Can fertilized eggs exercise their natural rights?
My point in my original response by responding to your question with a question was to show you it isn’t in how we exercise our rights that matter. The point is that we have rights.

Your original comment was, “How do fertilized eggs exercise their natural rights?�

The point of my response is what the heck difference does it make? Like I pointed out, we all may exercise our rights differently during different stages of development or not even exercise that am at all. Clearly this does not mean we don’t have rights just because we might not exercise them exactly like you.

So, to answer your question, “Can fertilized eggs exercise their natural rights?� my response is they needn’t have to. They Have rights simply by being human beings. But one could argue that they exercise their natural rights by existing, by growing, and by developing. Unless you do something to actively destroy them, they will continue to exercise their natural rights by naturally continuing to develop and grow.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #87

Post by myth-one.com »

RightReason wrote: [Replying to myth-one.com]I have a feeling how you exercise your human rights differs from how a 2 year old exercises his, or a person in a vegetative state, or a person in prison, or a baby in utero, or a 10 year old, or a person with Downs Syndrome, etc.
Others make decisions for those incapable of making decisions on their own. This includes fertilized eggs.

wiploc
Guru

Post #88

Post by wiploc »

RightReason wrote: So, to answer your question, “Can fertilized eggs exercise their natural rights?� my response is they needn’t have to. They Have rights simply by being human beings. But one could argue that they exercise their natural rights by existing, by growing, and by developing. Unless you do something to actively destroy them, they will continue to exercise their natural rights by naturally continuing to develop and grow.
What about the right to die? If embryos have rights, don't they have the right to die. And don't we violate their right to die by having them live, the same as we violate their right to live by having them die?

My point--and I do have a point--is that you can't have a right to do something without having a desire to do that thing. Embryos aren't people. They don't have desires. They don't have rights.

If we pretended they had rights, we'd have to pretend that we violated some right no matter what we did. Don't people have the right to travel? Don't we violate that right every time a pregnant woman stays home? It's better not to pretend.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #89

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to post 86 by myth-one.com]
RightReason wrote:

[Replying to myth-one.com]I have a feeling how you exercise your human rights differs from how a 2 year old exercises his, or a person in a vegetative state, or a person in prison, or a baby in utero, or a 10 year old, or a person with Downs Syndrome, etc.

Others make decisions for those incapable of making decisions on their own. This includes fertilized eggs.

Yes, and those decisions cannot take away their right to life. One member of society does not get to decide/pick and choose whether another innocent member of society can be murdered. And no one should want to live in a society where they can. I can make decisions for my children, but I am not allowed to decide to end their life – that is ridiculous.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #90

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to post 87 by wiploc]

What about the right to die? If embryos have rights, don't they have the right to die
No. And how could you know what they wanted? But no. Human beings do not have the right to die via other means than natural death. Obviously, you can’t stop someone from killing themselves, but it is immoral for them to do so and should never be encouraged/supported.
. And don't we violate their right to die by having them live
First, they have no right to die. But even if they did, and you couldn’t determine what it is he/she wants then you better err on the side of life.
My point--and I do have a point--is that you can't have a right to do something without having a desire to do that thing.
Absurd. Like I said that leads to arguments then to get rid of all the weak, vulnerable, feeble minded, mentally ill, elderly, handicapped, unborn, etc among us. My 3 year old has a right to live whether he verbalizes that or not by simply being a human being he has the right!

Embryos aren't people
We all start out as embryos – human life coded with DNA. They are human beings just at a different stage of development. If you aren’t sure – why don’t you wait 9 months just to be sure?

They don't have desires. They don't have rights.
Nonsense. You don’t know this AND the right to life isn’t about mental capability and certainly does not come down to desire. Let’s stick with what we do know – facts/science.
If we pretended they had rights, we'd have to pretend that we violated some right no matter what we did. Don't people have the right to travel? Don't we violate that right every time a pregnant woman stays home? It's better not to pretend.
Have no idea what you are talking about here.