Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

RedEye
Scholar

How To Convince Yourself That Jesus Is Imaginary

Post #1

Post by RedEye »

How To Convince Yourself That Jesus Is Imaginary

1. Read the gospels where Jesus appears to his followers and others after his resurrection. Paul gives a nice summary in 1 Corinthians 15:3-6. Over 500 people laid eyes on him after his death. Clearly Jesus has no problem with physically appearing to people. There cannot be any violation of free will involved since we are told that Jesus has already done it. A precedent has been set.

2. Matthew 18:19 has Jesus saying these words: "Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them". So all you have to do is pray to Jesus with one or two other people and what you pray for will be granted. Jesus himself has promised this.

3. Gather two friends and all pray together for Jesus to physically appear in your midst.

If you follow the above steps, it should be the case that Jesus, if he exists, will physically appear before you. After all we know that:
--- It is trivial for Jesus to materialize
--- There would be many benefits if Jesus did materialize
--- Jesus has supposedly materialized to other human beings
--- Jesus has promised to answer our prayer that he materialize

The problem is that Jesus will not physically appear. Nothing happens. How can we explain this? There is only one possible conclusion we can reach. The gospels are fiction and Jesus is an imaginary being. Can any Christian deny this?
Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

Savant

Re: How To Convince Yourself That Jesus Is Imaginary

Post #21

Post by 1213 »

RedEye wrote: ...If you follow the above steps, it should be the case that Jesus, if he exists, will physically appear before you...
Where it is said he will physically appear?

It was said to disciples of Jesus. I don’t think here are other disciples of Jesus, where I live.

RedEye
Scholar

Post #22

Post by RedEye »

1213 wrote:
RedEye wrote: ...If you follow the above steps, it should be the case that Jesus, if he exists, will physically appear before you...
Where it is said he will physically appear?
It isn't. Do you understand what a reasoned argument is?
It was said to disciples of Jesus. I don’t think here are other disciples of Jesus, where I live.
Read the verse again:
  • Matthew 18
    19 “Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them.�
This is not specific to the disciples. Neither is this passage:
  • Matthew 7
    7 “Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!
And this:
  • John 14
    14 Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son; if you ask anything in my name, I will do it.

marco
Savant

Post #23

Post by marco »

[Replying to post 22 by RedEye]

You are right in pointing out that those who ask will receive. What you have forgotten is the long list of small print terms. The conditionality is such that the request applies only to the Virgin Mary or her superiors.

I think somewhere Jesus said he was in other people and other people were in him. If that's the case, he might not be occupying space around the three individuals gathered in his name, but inside the middle one. It all makes sense.

Savant

Post #24

Post by 1213 »

RedEye wrote: This is not specific to the disciples. Neither is this passage:
Sorry, I don’t see why do you think it is for all people and not only for those to whom Jesus speaks?

RedEye
Scholar

Post #25

Post by RedEye »

1213 wrote:
RedEye wrote: This is not specific to the disciples. Neither is this passage:
Sorry, I don’t see why do you think it is for all people and not only for those to whom Jesus speaks?
The "every one" gives it away. :tongue:

However, you are free to believe that Jesus discriminates. Not a problem to me. I suggest that no Christian ever prays again as, according to my opponent, you are all on permanent ignore.