Is atheism detrimental to your mental health?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Is atheism detrimental to your mental health?

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

If you don't believe in gods, will that lack of belief literally drive you crazy? Some internet apologists here seem to think so. They have argued that hundreds of scientific studies demonstrate the mental-health benefits of theistic belief and religion in general. Without those benefits, it seems to follow that at the very least atheists are at a distinct disadvantage compared to theists when it comes to thinking and acting rationally. In other words, not believing in wrathful gods, demons, and places of eternal torture can result in psychosis.

Question for Debate: Do any of the atheists here think they'd enjoy better mental health if they converted to Christianity, and do any of the Christians here fear that losing belief in the Bible god would make you mentally ill?

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Re: Is atheism detrimental to your mental health?

Post #31

Post by Aetixintro »

Jagella wrote: If you don't believe in gods, will that lack of belief literally drive you crazy? Some internet apologists here seem to think so. They have argued that hundreds of scientific studies demonstrate the mental-health benefits of theistic belief and religion in general. Without those benefits, it seems to follow that at the very least atheists are at a distinct disadvantage compared to theists when it comes to thinking and acting rationally. In other words, not believing in wrathful gods, demons, and places of eternal torture can result in psychosis.

Question for Debate: Do any of the atheists here think they'd enjoy better mental health if they converted to Christianity, and do any of the Christians here fear that losing belief in the Bible god would make you mentally ill?
First, given that Atheism seems to exist alongside Humanism and that the 2 are generally separate, I infer that Atheists are generally not even trying to be ethical and moral and given that they are not even trying to be ethical and moral by evaluation under the Kantian Ethics gold standard, I can infer further that they "may" fall subject to ("category"-)schizophrenia way down there in the utter dark even as cannibals.

Schizophrenia is indeed ethical and moral blindness by the old definitions, at least, and it can be proven that they suffer from bad nervous systems. Thus, they are stupid too!

Therefore, to be an Atheist with absolutely no better science in hand is to be an idiot, a stupid person, I think. Mind you, that in order to conduct science, ethical and moral considerations and carefulness are utmost important or one starts doing monstrous stuff that isn't really science at all, just voodoo or worse. It can be proven that Atheists too have a lot of "metaphysical" views of the World and that they are not any better than God believing Christians or other religious people who, at least, have an ordered view of the "supernatural".

I just warn you right now! Atheism is not part of the future. Indeed, it hides a lot of human tragedy, most to the Atheists themselves who, down the road, face a lot of problems, both mental and physcial/somatic, be they of metabolism, reproductive kinds, all sorts of illnesses and other risky behaviour.

I'm not being cruel or ridiculing anybody. I just feel it's very sad that such stuff as Atheism gets to "steal" people's hearts and minds in 2018. The days of Atheism are numbered.

Cheers! :? :-s :study:
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #32

Post by Jagella »

Aetixintro wrote:
Jagella wrote: If you don't believe in gods, will that lack of belief literally drive you crazy? Some internet apologists here seem to think so. They have argued that hundreds of scientific studies demonstrate the mental-health benefits of theistic belief and religion in general. Without those benefits, it seems to follow that at the very least atheists are at a distinct disadvantage compared to theists when it comes to thinking and acting rationally. In other words, not believing in wrathful gods, demons, and places of eternal torture can result in psychosis.

First, given that Atheism seems to exist alongside Humanism and that the 2 are generally separate, I infer that Atheists are generally not even trying to be ethical and moral and given that they are not even trying to be ethical and moral by evaluation under the Kantian Ethics gold standard, I can infer further that they "may" fall subject to ("category"-)schizophrenia way down there in the utter dark even as cannibals.

Schizophrenia is indeed ethical and moral blindness by the old definitions, at least, and it can be proven that they suffer from bad nervous systems. Thus, they are stupid too!

Therefore, to be an Atheist with absolutely no better science in hand is to be an idiot, a stupid person, I think. Mind you, that in order to conduct science, ethical and moral considerations and carefulness are utmost important or one starts doing monstrous stuff that isn't really science at all, just voodoo or worse. It can be proven that Atheists too have a lot of "metaphysical" views of the World and that they are not any better than God believing Christians or other religious people who, at least, have an ordered view of the "supernatural".

I just warn you right now! Atheism is not part of the future. Indeed, it hides a lot of human tragedy, most to the Atheists themselves who, down the road, face a lot of problems, both mental and physcial/somatic, be they of metabolism, reproductive kinds, all sorts of illnesses and other risky behaviour.

I'm not being cruel or ridiculing anybody. I just feel it's very sad that such stuff as Atheism gets to "steal" people's hearts and minds in 2018. The days of Atheism are numbered.

Cheers! :? :-s :study:
Is it safe to assume that what you've posted here is an example of the mental-health effects of religion that Historia keeps telling us about?

marco
Savant

Post #33

Post by marco »

Aetixintro wrote:

Therefore, to be an Atheist with absolutely no better science in hand is to be an idiot, a stupid person, I think.

:warning: Moderator Warning

We avoid calling fellow posters idiots. We have rules of civiity, so please respect them in any future posts.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #34

Post by Aetixintro »

Jagella wrote:Is it safe to assume that what you've posted here is an example of the mental-health effects of religion that Historia keeps telling us about?
No! I believe Historia really speaks about hypocrite-religious people, people who show up in church only to subvert the church's activities such as planning attack on worthy people belonging to the congregation.

With the "white-list" religions, ethics and morality are fundamental and I find evil can be no part of it without losing the relation to the holy book or holy books and thus, without the holy book or books to read, their religion is bound to be lost!

Mental health is, by sound science descriptions, best kept by (Kantian) ethics and morality. That is, a father can not torture children and still be a good father to his child, I think. This seems obvious to me, at least! The usual notions of schizophrenia by (ethical and) moral blindness are given as before.
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #35

Post by Jagella »

historia wrote:Secondly, this evidence is compelling, not because anyone here has "unquestioning faith" in the peer-reviewed journals that published these findings, but because the studies themselves employ rigorous social scientific methods, while the sheer quantity of diverse studies reaching similar findings mitigates against any unintended biases or deficiencies in any one study.
Let's see some examples of people whose mental health was helped by religion. Since you keep harping on all of those amazing and numerous peer-reviewed studies; ad infinitum, ad nauseum; then no doubt you've seen some real life cases of improved mental health resulting from religion. After all, if those studies are legitimate, then logically we should notice the mental-health benefits in our daily lives.