The CNN, MSNBC reporting of Christianity

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

The CNN, MSNBC reporting of Christianity

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Many Christians, esp. the astute ones, tend to complain of too much negativity towards Christianity on this forum. This negativity can come from active member atheists far outnumbering Christians or from having 2 or 3 atheists having the majority of the posts as it appears Stuart J and Jagella have in this section.

The reason I bring up CNN and MSNBC because they are anti-trump and watching these two networks makes you think that nothing about Trump or his policies are good. Reading Jagella, and Stuart J's posts makes you think that there's nothing good about Christianity.

Debate Questions:
1. What questions do Christian apologists provide good answers for? Historical Jesus's existence?

2. Is it fair to be concerned about too many negative posts and topics about Christianity? Is this why many astute theists stay off of the forum?

Here's directly from one theist:
Theopoesis post 15
I left this forum about a year ago, but returned this summer for two reasons. The first was because there were several new people who seemed of the highest character, and whom I thought I would benefit from speaking with.

Tcg
Savant

Re: The CNN, MSNBC reporting of Christianity

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

AgnosticBoy wrote:
1. What questions do Christian apologists provide good answers for?
They do a great job of answering questions that help Christians believe what they already believe.

That's not much of a feat though.

2. Is it fair to be concerned about too many negative posts and topics about Christianity? Is this why many astute theists stay off of the forum?
To answer this you'll need to ask those who stay off the forum.

Getting those answers would be quite a feat.

marco
Savant

Post #3

Post by marco »

AgnosticBoy wrote:

Fortunately for Christianity those who were first inspired went out and taught, apparently conquering the intricacies of every known foreign language. We needn't expect that level of devotion but one would have thought if a message is worthy of believing in it is worthy of defending. And if a few sling-shots frighten people off, then the Holy Ghost is not doing his job.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #4

Post by benchwarmer »

AgnosticBoy wrote:
Debate Questions:
1. What questions do Christian apologists provide good answers for?
Some are able to clearly express their own beliefs. Thus, learning what all the various beliefs that fall under "Christianity" are is quite interesting for me.
AgnosticBoy wrote: Historical Jesus's existence?
Not that I've seen. This was actually one of the first real eye opening moments for me on this forum. Even as an ex Christian. I didn't realize how little evidence there actually is for a historical Jesus. All we really have are hearsay rumors written down in the Bible and the various groups that believe all sorts of interpretations of these words.
AgnosticBoy wrote: 2. Is it fair to be concerned about too many negative posts and topics about Christianity? Is this why many astute theists stay off of the forum?
I would be more concerned about why "astute theists" feel the need to stay off a well moderated forum where they are free to bring to bear their holy spirit guided arguments that should be shutting down any question atheists can bring up.
AgnosticBoy wrote: Here's directly from one theist:
Theopoesis post 15
I left this forum about a year ago, but returned this summer for two reasons. The first was because there were several new people who seemed of the highest character, and whom I thought I would benefit from speaking with.
Sadly this quote does not say why the person felt the need to leave in the first place as that seems to be the point of the OP.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Jagella »

AgnosticBoy wrote:Reading Jagella, and Stuart J's posts makes you think that there's nothing good about Christianity.
From my perspective it is the Christian apologists' posts that might make me think that there's nothing good about Christianity.
What questions do Christian apologists provide good answers for? Historical Jesus's existence?
I've seen very few good answers to tough questions on the part of Christian apologists. Their case for a historical Jesus is no different in that it fails to adequately address the difficulties in positing a historical Christ.
Is it fair to be concerned about too many negative posts and topics about Christianity?
While I'm not sure how we might have "too many negative posts," everybody should take note of the logical and factual problems posed by Christianity and apologists. It is a moral imperative to allow critics of Christianity to bring up such issues to enable people to safeguard themselves from the ill effects of religion in general and Christianity in particular.
Is this why many astute theists stay off of the forum?
Many of the religious might abandon or avoid this forum to avoid thinking about the many difficulties it can pose to their faith. They do have the option of moving on to a Christian-sponsored forum that prohibits tough scrutiny of Christian beliefs. Matt Slick of CARM, for example, labels members of his forum as atheists and does not allow them to enter into many of the subsections of his forum including the apologetics subsection (or at least that's what he used to do). He obviously knows that Christian beliefs cannot survive tough scrutiny on the part of unbelievers.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #6

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Tcg wrote:
AgnosticBoy wrote: 1. What questions do Christian apologists provide good answers for?
They do a great job of answering questions that help Christians believe what they already believe.

That's not much of a feat though.
I'm sure there are better examples. In general, I tend to like Christian's apologetic points on objective morality. There are historical and archaeological corroborations. There are also plenty of claims of biblical discrepencies that atheists have brought up that have been refuted or shown to be weak at best. That's not to say that Christianity is a proven belief-system but they have some good arguments, there are some positives.
Tcg wrote:
AgnosticBoy wrote:
To answer this you'll need to ask those who stay off the forum.

Getting those answers would be quite a feat.
It is a fact that there are astute theists members of this forum but many of them don't participate as often. Theopoesis was one of them. He shared his thoughts about this forum.

To me, the seeing people who are only interested in reporting the negatives or putting a negative spin on anything Christian, has the same effect as a Republican watching MSNBC or CNN (two news networks that are very anti-trump). If you 're a liberal, just try watching only Fox News for day and perhaps you'll get what I'm trying to say.

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by StuartJ »

[Replying to post 6 by AgnosticBoy]
To me, the seeing people who are only interested in reporting the negatives or putting a negative spin on anything Christian, has the same effect as a Republican watching MSNBC or CNN (two news networks that are very anti-trump). If you 're a liberal, just try watching only Fox News for day and perhaps you'll get what I'm trying to say.
Down here in Oz I don't watch those channels.

However ...

I doubt they have as much fun with parody as I do.

Sure, it's a mild form of mockery ...

But the ridiculous things in Christianity deserve ridicule.

And laughing at them may help some folks realise just how laughable their faith is.

And maybe they will gather the strength to escape.
No one EVER demonstrates that "God" exists outside their parietal cortex.

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

AgnosticBoy wrote:
It is a fact that there are astute theists members of this forum but many of them don't participate as often.
Perhaps, if that assertion is true. In any case, it doesn't answer why they don't participate as often.

Theopoesis was one of them. He shared his thoughts about this forum.
Yes he did: "The first was because there were several new people who seemed of the highest character, and whom I thought I would benefit from speaking with."

The second reason was that he was preparing for entrance exams and felt the interaction might help that effort.

Two positive examples of why he returned do not support your claim of why some folks stay off the forum.

To me, the seeing people who are only interested in reporting the negatives or putting a negative spin on anything Christian, has the same effect as a Republican watching MSNBC or CNN (two news networks that are very anti-trump).
That's the beauty of a forum like this. otseng has set it up so that all posters who follow the rules and guidelines can post their thoughts/opinions/beliefs on the topics presented.

This nothing like MSNBC, CNN, or FOX news. ALL those networks have to answer to the owners/producers/sponsors of their productions and only select people create the content.

I don't find the comparison compelling at all.

You seem to however, and the beauty of this forum is that both of us are allowed to express our opinions freely.

(Edited to correct spelling error.)
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

jeremiah1five
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by jeremiah1five »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Many Christians, esp. the astute ones, tend to complain of too much negativity towards Christianity on this forum. This negativity can come from active member atheists far outnumbering Christians or from having 2 or 3 atheists having the majority of the posts as it appears Stuart J and Jagella have in this section.

The reason I bring up CNN and MSNBC because they are anti-trump and watching these two networks makes you think that nothing about Trump or his policies are good. Reading Jagella, and Stuart J's posts makes you think that there's nothing good about Christianity.

Debate Questions:
1. What questions do Christian apologists provide good answers for? Historical Jesus's existence?

Here's directly from one theist:
Theopoesis post 15
QUOTE: "The CNN, MSNBC reporting of Christianity..."
RESPONSE: That's nothing.
You should read the report we have of them.
Read your Bible to find out. Preferably a KJV.