Is the Resurrection a historical event?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Is the Resurrection a historical event?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

Lets examine the historicity of the Resurrection, the central teaching of Christianity.

The Resurrection in History

Jesus was executed sometime between 30 and 33 AD. The first written account we have of the Resurrection is found in 1 Corinthians written by St. Paul.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Epi ... Authorship

"There is consensus among historians and Christian theologians that Paul is the author of the First Epistle to the Corinthians (c. AD 53–54).[3] ( Robert Wall, New Interpreter's Bible Vol. X (Abingdon Press, 2002), p. 373}"

1 Corinthians 15 – Paul

6 Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers and sisters[c] at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have died.[d] 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. 8 Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me.

As best we can tell, this historically accurate?

polonius
Prodigy

Re: Is the Resurrection a historical event?

Post #2

Post by polonius »

polonius wrote: Lets examine the historicity of the Resurrection, the central teaching of Christianity.

The Resurrection in History

Jesus was executed sometime between 30 and 33 AD. The first written account we have of the Resurrection is found in 1 Corinthians written by St. Paul.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Epi ... Authorship

"There is consensus among historians and Christian theologians that Paul is the author of the First Epistle to the Corinthians (c. AD 53–54).[3] ( Robert Wall, New Interpreter's Bible Vol. X (Abingdon Press, 2002), p. 373}"

1 Corinthians 15 – Paul

6 Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers and sisters[c] at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have died.[d] 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. 8 Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me.

As best we can tell, is this historically accurate?
QUESTIONs:

(1) Was Paul a witness to this appearance?

(2) Where was Paul writing from? Is it possible that those who read his epistle witnessed Jesus' appearance?

(3) Why is this appearance omitted by those who wrote the gospels?

(4) Of the 500 persons who saw Jesus and the perhaps hundreds they told, how many left any written record? Why not?

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #3

Post by brianbbs67 »

Actually, corroborating evidence comes from Justivious Flavius , The Antiquities of the jews, About 120 AD where Yeshua is documented. I happen to have the book.

ImageIMG_1102 by brianbbs67, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1100 by brianbbs67, on Flickr

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

brianbbs67 wrote:
Actually, corroborating evidence comes from Justivious Flavius , The Antiquities of the jews, About 120 AD where Yeshua is documented. I happen to have the book.
What evidence did Justivious Flavius have access to?

How is the fact that you own the book relevant?

What value are the photos you posted to the discussion at hand?

polonius
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by polonius »

QUESTION:

I've read Josephus. Where does it say that Jesus was raised from the dead? Did I overlook that?

You might also want to read the Roman historian Tacitus. He mentions Christ being put to death, but nothing about a resurrection.

polonius
Prodigy

Paul's 1 Corinthians leetter examined.

Post #6

Post by polonius »

Lets

polonius
Prodigy

Examining Paul's 1 Corinthians

Post #7

Post by polonius »

Christ died in 30-33 AD.

Paul did not become a Christian until three years later.

Paul never knew Jesus in the flesh.

Paul wrote 1 Corinthians is about 56 AD, about 25 years after the supposed event.

He wrote to Corinth about 800 miles from Jerusalem to be read by people who probably knew nothing about any Resurrection.

None of the 500 people: Jews, Romans, Greeks, and other Gentiles, who allegedly saw Jesus, nor any of the very many they would expected to have told, wrote anything about the amazing incident.

None of the writers of the Gospels report this appearance to the 500.

Paul claims at the end of chapter 1 of Galatians that he gets no knowledge from other men but from visions of Jesus.

If this 1 Corinthians 15 was other than in the Bible, would you regard it as a reliable historical report?

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #8

Post by brianbbs67 »

polonius wrote: QUESTION:

I've read Josephus. Where does it say that Jesus was raised from the dead? Did I overlook that?

You might also want to read the Roman historian Tacitus. He mentions Christ being put to death, but nothing about a resurrection.
Josephus's father was a high priest. He mentions in the book that Jesus was a wise and good man and his followers very loyal to him and believed Christ was resurrected. So, not resurrection evidence by a eye witness. So, i cede the point.

marco
Savant

Post #9

Post by marco »

polonius wrote: QUESTION:

There is something peculiar in the tiny Tacitus reference, as though the text was corrupt. But in any event he's discussing Nero's harsh treatment of Christians, and he throws out that their leader was sentenced to the extreme penalty by Pilate. Tacitus had a position as overseer of foreign religions, so his reference would certainly seem conclusive. He gets Pilate's status wrong, but that can easily be explained away.

As we all know the Josephus entry looks falsified in part but that's to do with Christ's revered status; Josephus also mentions Christ's brother, so again we can assume somebody resembling Christ walked round the Sea of Galilee but maybe not on it.

polonius
Prodigy

Jesus and James the Just

Post #10

Post by polonius »

This is only a possibility but does not establish any fact.

Jesus's brother, James the Just, not to be confused with the two apostles named James, was Jesus contemporary and, if fact, took over leadership of his original followers.

He did not originally believe in Jesus's calling, but converted around the time of
Jesus' death. James, who was a new member of the disciples, may have had a strong family resemblance to Jesus, and some may have thought that he was the "risen" Jesus.

So the "risen Jesus" story might have had some basis.

Acts 15:19 (about the leadership role of James the Just at the Council of Jerusalem)

i It is my judgment, therefore, that we ought to stop troubling the Gentiles who turn to God,
but tell them by letter to avoid pollution from idols, unlawful marriage, the meat of strangled animals, and blood.j
For Moses, for generations now, has had those who proclaim him in every town, as he has been read in the synagogues every sabbath.�