Another Bible Blunder?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

RedEye
Scholar

Another Bible Blunder?

Post #1

Post by RedEye »

It is a fact that if you continue to fabricate stories and events (ie. tell lies) that sooner or later you will contradict yourself because of not being able to remember what was stated earlier. This is called not being able to keep your lies straight.

Here is an example of Jesus telling us a "truth":
  • John 3:13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.
There is no qualification here by Jesus. The author of John also tells us that Jesus is the Word (Logos) and was there with God right from the very beginning of everything (John 1:1-14). That means that Jesus (the Word) was right there alongside God (he was an aspect of God) in heaven until he came down to Earth for a brief time.

Let's now go back a few centuries before Jesus (allegedly) appeared in human form and look at Elijah (who incidentally performed similar miracles to Jesus including raising someone from the dead - a role model!):
  • 2 Kings 2:11 As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind.
So Elijah was taken up into heaven where Jesus was there waiting. How can that possibly be reconciled with what Jesus stated unequivocally in John 3:13? Did Jesus completely forget about Elijah? (Selective amnesia seems to be a common theme in the Bible). Isn't this just another instance of when you say enough things and you are making it up, it is impossible to keep the lies straight? Sooner or later you are caught out.
Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

marco
Savant

Re: Another Bible Blunder?

Post #21

Post by marco »

Goose wrote:
Of course Jesus does. You ignored the whole argument and instead went off on some tangent about a pig and a camel. Care to address the argument?
I did and you seem not to have understood, choosing instead to continue your teaching sessions, this time on what constitutes a contradiction, but we'll examine that gem later.
Goose wrote:
When we consider the immediate surrounding context in which Jesus makes his assertion, that no one has ascended to heaven, is pertaining to other statements regarding how one is to attain eternal life and enter the kingdom of heaven through being born again (3:16) we have good reason to think Jesus had a more narrow context in mind than all ascensions.

You phrase a good phrase, even when you err. "We have good reason" ---- of course we do, for when Jesus is wrong we must find anything, anywhere that gets us out of a hole.
People do contradict themselves, so "less likely" is an appeal to credit Jesus with infallibility.
Goose wrote:

Firstly, this isn't an alleged case of Jesus contradicting himself but contradicting the Old Testament scriptures. Secondly, the counter argument here has nothing to do with crediting Jesus with infallibility.
Ah, he CONTRADICTS the OT, that would be Scripture of which he said he would not change one iota. When is a contradiction not a contradiction? I don't see any "counter-argument."
Goose wrote:
In order to argue a contradiction one must assume either:

(1) Jesus had no knowledge of the story of the ascension of Elijah or;

(2) Jesus was implying the account of Elijah's ascension was false.
Yes, you placed these spurious restrictions on others and then you expect them to comply with your prescription. There is more to argument than that.
Goose wrote:
In order to demonstrate a contradiction one simply writes Christ's statement "Nobody has gone to heaven," beside the statement that Elijah went to heaven.
No, that would only show there is a discrepancy. There’s more to proving a contradiction than merely juxtaposing two statements and saying, "Hey look everybody a contradiction!"

Humour is now a useful way of arguing. Summon the village idiot to voice the opponent's imagined line. Anyway, to get back to fact, we demonstrate a contradiction by producing the statement's negation. "No one has gone to heaven" is a general statement. A single counter-example will prove it wrong, and this was done. Christ's statement is false in the light of what believers believe. The contradiction is "There's someone who has gone to heaven."
Goose wrote:
I’ve offered more than enough argumentation to overturn the underlying assumptions that it is a contradiction.

You have given assumptions and cut them down. Meantime we are discussing something other than your inventions. "No one goes to heaven." "Somebody did go to heaven." Your pretended "explanation" does not ovecome this contradiction. It may explain what Jesus intended to say, but that's not our business. Let's discuss what is in front of us rather than what you event, otherwise my pig and camel are equally relevant. Go well.
Last edited by marco on Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #22

Post by JehovahsWitness »

DID ELIJAH DIE AND GO TO HEAVEN BEFORE JESUS?

♦ANSWER No, The bible basically uses the same word for both heaven (Spiritual domain where God lives) and sky/the heavens (the atmosphere where birds fly) The word heaven(s) is used in the bible to refer to a number of different things associted with height/that which is above, from a human perspective.
2 KINGS 2:11
And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.- King James Bible
#1. [The] Heaven(s): Outer space/The physical universe consisting of stars and planets. Isaiah 13:10 "For the stars of the heavens and their constellations"

#2. [The] Heaven(s): The sky/atmosphere where birds fly. Isaiah 45:8 ""You heavens, rain down from above; Let the clouds pour ..." Deut 4:17 " any winged bird that flieth in the heavens"

#3. [The] Heaven(s): The spiritual realm where God lives. Psalms 33:13, 14 "Jehovah looks down from heaven [...] From his place of residence"
See The NAS New Testament Greek Lexicon
https://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicon ... ranos.html

#QUESTION: Does the bible indictate which of the above Elijah was taken to?
  • Yes, the event happened during the reign of the Jewish king Jehoshaphat, as is evident from the fact that Jehoshaphat was alive to speak with Elijah's successor Elishah (see 2 Kings 3:11). Yet a number of years later, during the reign of Jehoshaphat's son Jehoram, the bible speaks of Elijah still alive and well, and writing a letter.
    “And Jehoshaphat rested with his fathers, and was buried with his fathers in the City of David. Then Jehoram his son reigned in his place.� - 2 Chronicles 21:1

“And a letter came to him from Elijah the prophet, saying, ... Because you have not walked in the ways of Jehoshaphat your father, or in the ways of Asa king of Judah…� - 2 Chronicles 21:12
    How could Elijah write a letter after he had been taken to the heavens unless he was alive when Jehoram became king? The only logical conclusion is that Elijah didn't die at all but was taken up not to the highest heaven where God lives, and not into outer space (where presumably he would die of asphyxia) but up into the sky #3 and transported to another location on the earth.
#QUESTION: WHY would Elijah be transported in such a dramatic manner?
  • The bible doesn't furnish this information but reasonably we could conclude that it was to mark for all concerned the change in leadership for Israel's premier Prophet. Elijah was handing over the reigns to ELISHA who would from that time on lead the community of prophets and become the nation's chief religious consultant for both the king and the nation. Elijah would no longer have any promince, and was physically transported to a new assignment in another country (Judah).

CONCLUSION The bible account of Elijah does not say that Elijah died or that he was resurrected, indeed the narrative indicates he didn't die from the experience at all. The text actally says he mounted a chariot which was lifted into the sky/the heavens which would harmonized with Jesus statement no human prior to him (Jesus) has ascended to the spirit realm.

RELATED POSTS

Did Job express his desire to go to heaven in his physical body?
viewtopic.php?p=1058114#p1058114

Were Elijah and Moses literally present during the transfiguration?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 21#p943921

Do all good people go to heaven?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 15#p878615
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 11 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Elijah John
Savant

Post #23

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 22 by JehovahsWitness]

Not convincing. Taken up into the sky to end up in another location on earth? Where? Like the Americas? What would be the purpose of such a "lift and drop" of Elijah by Jehovah?

And if later the Bible has Elijah later alive and well and writing a letter, isn't it more likely that the Bible authors just didn't get their stories straight?

And what about Enoch?

It seems to me you are going to great lengths here in order to uphold the facade of Bible perfection.
Last edited by Elijah John on Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #24

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 23 by Elijah John]

You don't have to be convinced but it's a FACT the bible narrative reports Elijah alive and well after the chariot event. What would you like to know about Enoch, I don't believe the word heaven is mentioned at all in his regard.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Elijah John
Savant

Post #25

Post by Elijah John »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 23 by Elijah John]

You don't have to be convinced but it's a FACT the bible narrative reports Elijah alive and well after the chariot event. What would you like to know about Enoch, I don't believe the word heaven is mentioned at all in his regard.

JW
Yes, it's a fact that he Bible reports this. But that would contradict the notion that Elijah is in Heaven or ever went there. And the Bible has no contradictions, right?

Instead of just acknowledging that the Bible has some contradictions, the apologist does rhetorical back-flips in order to prove it doesn't. Anything to uphold the Bible's purported perfection. It's not like God's very existence depends on the Bible being perfect, does it?

And later the Gospel Evangelist reports that Moses AND Elijah materialized (or appeard in a vision) and accompanied Jesus in the Transfiguration ephiphany. Where did Moses and Elijah come from?

And how about the parable of the rich man and Lazurus. "Father Abraham" was in Heaven in that story, was he not?

And in regard to Enoch and his disappearance, was he lifted and dropped too?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

marco
Savant

Post #26

Post by marco »

ttruscott wrote:
What is the proof that only believers are subject to this belief syndrome and secular materialists are not??? If it is a human characteristic to accept the corollaries and implications of a belief more once the belief is committed then nothing about this attack on believers for a pretend gullibility means anything.

It is a human flaw and I agree it is not restricted to Christians: there are many types of believers in different things. If we believe strongly, then we can make apparent sense of the impossible. It doesn't mean we discover truth, only comfort.

marco
Savant

Post #27

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

QUESTION: DID ELIJAH DIE AND GO TO HEAVEN BEFORE JESUS?

QUESTION: Does the bible indictate which of the above Elijah was taken to?

QUESTION: WHY would Elijah be transported in such a dramatic manner?

QUESTION: What happens when you die?

QUESTION: Do all good people go to heaven?

I'm sure it is not intentional to be patronising but this reminds me of being an infant and being asked how many fingers teacher has.

Perhaps if the "answers" were preceded with "here are some guesses," we might treat them with more respect. Giving various definitions of heaven and suggesting Elijah was transported from the Jordan to, possibly, the upper Amazon, is entertaining but why put this in the middle of a serious discussion? Even the possibility that he's stuck on one of the moons of Jupiter is not outside consideration.

Do we know where Elijah went? Answer: Nope. What happens when people die? Their lifeless bodies rot away. Amazing revelation! Will all good people go to heaven? No, only those who have learned their questions and answers!

And all this is related to Jesus making a blunder!

Goose
Guru

Post #28

Post by Goose »

marco wrote:I did and you seem not to have understood, choosing instead to continue your teaching sessions, this time on what constitutes a contradiction, but we'll examine that gem later.
Yes, it's true, once again I find myself having to provide some teaching on the basics of logic. I may have to start charging for my time soon.
You phrase a good phrase, even when you err. "We have good reason" ---- of course we do, for when Jesus is wrong we must find anything, anywhere that gets us out of a hole.
Please stop projecting. In principle, I have no problem with the idea that Jesus may have corrected something in the Old Testament. The issue here is one of good logic and whether or not there is a good argument for a contradiction. I don’t see how either you or the author of thread has demonstrated that there is a contradiction. And I've provided sufficient argumentation against the charge.

In order to argue a contradiction one must assume either:

(1) Jesus had no knowledge of the story of the ascension of Elijah or;

(2) Jesus was implying the account of Elijah's ascension was false.
Yes, you placed these spurious restrictions on others and then you expect them to comply with your prescription. There is more to argument than that.
You say there is more to the argument than that, but you fail to tell me anything more aside from asserting there is a contradiction. As far as I can see you are making one of those two assumptions in order to argue for a contradiction. Is there another one I’ve missed?
Anyway, to get back to fact, we demonstrate a contradiction by producing the statement's negation.
Right. You have to show the negation to the statement A. Not show statement B which appears to conflict with A with no further argument which shows why A contradicts B.
"No one has gone to heaven" is a general statement. A single counter-example will prove it wrong, and this was done. Christ's statement is false in the light of what believers believe. The contradiction is "There's someone who has gone to heaven."
But you haven’t shown a contradiction. You’ve shown a discrepancy by merely taking two statements out of context and juxtaposing them. Two different statements, made by two different people, made at different times, in different contexts and then, “Voila! A contradiction!�

Anybody can do that. Allow me to demonstrate...

Example 1:
A: There are many stars.
B: There are no stars.

Example 2
A: Trump is American.
B: There are no Americans.

Example 3
A: You can only wear pants.
B: You can only wear a sleeved shirt.

All of these three examples, when the statements are juxtaposed as above, produce the appearance of a contradiction. However, each statement was taken out of a contextual backdrop which, if it were taken into account, would nullify any contradiction.

Statement A in example 1 was made on a clear night. Statement B was made on a different cloudy night.

Statement A in example 2 was made during a debate. Statement B was made by the pilot of an airliner in regards to the passengers on his flight.

Statement A in example 3 is in regards to what is permissible for one to wear on one’s lower half. One cannot, for example, wear shorts. Statement B is in regards to what one can wear on their upper half. One cannot wear, for example, a tank-top.

What you need to do is show that the context demands there to be a contradiction. That we have a case of A is B and A is not B at the same time in the same sense - that’s a contradiction.
You have given assumptions and cut them down.
Well the example we are looking at is not an explicit contradiction so you must be making one of those two assumptions in order to argue for a contradiction.
It may explain what Jesus intended to say, but that's not our business.
It is if we are at all interested in knowing whether or not there is a contradiction.
Let's discuss what is in front of us rather than what you event[sic], otherwise my pig and camel are equally relevant.
I am discussing what’s in front of us. What do you think I’ve invented? I supported every point with evidence.
Things atheists say:

"Is it the case [that torturing and killing babies for fun is immoral]? Prove it." - Bust Nak

"For the record...I think the Gospels are intentional fiction and Jesus wasn't a real guy." – Difflugia

"Julius Caesar and Jesus both didn't exist." - brunumb

"...most atheists have no arguments or evidence to disprove God." – unknown soldier (a.k.a. the banned member Jagella)

marco
Savant

Post #29

Post by marco »

Goose wrote:

I don’t see how either you or the author of thread has demonstrated that there is a contradiction.

I sympathise and I am trying to enlighten you. In the body of belief to which Christians pay homage, we have:

"Nobody has gone to heaven." "Somebody has gone to heaven." You are scratching your head wondering where the contradiction is here. Your "solution" is to add lots of words to what Jesus allegedly said or you claim the Bible is false. In any event Christianity is left embarrassed. Had Jesus said, "No one has gone to heaven except the following...." all would be well. He didn't, despite your protests.

That is the end of the argument.

Tcg
Savant

Post #30

Post by Tcg »

Elijah John wrote:
Instead of just acknowledging that the Bible has some contradictions, the apologist does rhetorical back-flips in order to prove it doesn't. Anything to uphold the Bible's purported perfection.
You know you're onto a troublesome passage when details need to be added in an attempt to make the passage not say what it clearly says.

All we have is that Elijah went up into heaven. The Bible states this clearly. No mention of him being dropped of some other place.

I was taught that adding to the Bible was a bad thing. Odd how often that happens when the Bible contradicts itself as it clearly does so here.