Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Should Paul curse people?

Post #1

Post by marco »

Here is Paul speaking with menace:

Galatians 1: 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God's curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God's curse! 10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God.

It seems to me he's obviously trying to win over people, not God, though that might be a secondary motive.

Does Paul have the right to call down curses on people who don't go along with his version of things?

Paul later informs his listeners that he got his message from Jesus. Is his word sufficient? And why?

marco
Savant

Re: Should Paul curse people?

Post #31

Post by marco »

showme wrote:
King James Bible Galatians 1:8

But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

And this is good English? " We or an angel" does not tune with "let him". And the concessive clause "Though we..." should perhaps be a conditional clause" but the meaning is clear enough except for the grammatical break in sense : "let him be". But we are in 17th century language so perhaps we should say amen to it.

07-07-07
Banned
Banned

Post #32

Post by 07-07-07 »

Jesus confirmed Paul's calling, so your problem is with God. People have a submission problem, and that's why they have a God problem.

marco
Savant

Post #33

Post by marco »

07-07-07 wrote: Jesus confirmed Paul's calling, so your problem is with God. People have a submission problem, and that's why they have a God problem.

Then Matthew 24 has led me astray: 11. "and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. " Really, we don't know where we are with these crossed messages. Some are even saying the promise of the Paraclete refers to an event in the 7th century called Muhammad. Whom to trust, eh? You'd think God would be unambiguous.

07-07-07
Banned
Banned

Post #34

Post by 07-07-07 »

[Replying to post 33 by marco]

There were. and still are. many false prophets and teachers, but Paul was a chosen vessel by Jesus Himself. Secondly, you are a carnally-minded unbeliever, so the Bible is confusion to you.

showme
Sage

Post #35

Post by showme »

[Replying to post 32 by 07-07-07]

When did "Jesus" confirm Paul's' calling. Paul confirmed his own calling, which makes it untrue (John 5:31) The witnessing of 2 Peter is from an unknown author. The witnessing of Acts, is from an unknown author, most likely Luke, who was supposedly an associate of Paul, who according to Luke 1:1-3, witnessed nothing, but passed on unconfirmed stories, from unlisted contributors.

The witnessing of Yeshua was that if they say He is in the wilderness, "do not believe them" (Matthew 24:26) Yet here you go, and "believe them".

American King James Version (John 5:31)
If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.

marco
Savant

Post #36

Post by marco »

07-07-07 wrote: [Replying to post 33 by marco]

There were. and still are. many false prophets and teachers, but Paul was a chosen vessel by Jesus Himself. Secondly, you are a carnally-minded unbeliever, so the Bible is confusion to you.

Since when did carnality, as you put it, condemn a person to being moronic? I think Einstein had a carnal side but he did one or two clever things. I don't profess to be able to read tea leaves but I can read what Paul is alleged to have spouted. Like the parson's egg, it is good in parts. He didn't speak to Jesus - he had a fit.

07-07-07
Banned
Banned

Post #37

Post by 07-07-07 »

showme wrote: [Replying to post 32 by 07-07-07]

When did "Jesus" confirm Paul's' calling. Paul confirmed his own calling, which makes it untrue (John 5:31) The witnessing of 2 Peter is from an unknown author. The witnessing of Acts, is from an unknown author, most likely Luke, who was supposedly an associate of Paul, who according to Luke 1:1-3, witnessed nothing, but passed on unconfirmed stories, from unlisted contributors.

The witnessing of Yeshua was that if they say He is in the wilderness, "do not believe them" (Matthew 24:26) Yet here you go, and "believe them".

Your post is from the perspective of an unbeliever and mocker, so you'll just remain blind. Dishonoring the Holy Scriptures is abominable.

Wootah
Savant

Post #38

Post by Wootah »

07-07-07 wrote: Your post is from the perspective of an unbeliever and mocker, so you'll just remain blind. Dishonoring the Holy Scriptures is abominable.
:warning: Moderator Warning

Please don't call others blind.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

07-07-07
Banned
Banned

Post #39

Post by 07-07-07 »

07-07-07 wrote:
showme wrote: [Replying to post 32 by 07-07-07]

Your post is from the perspective of an unbeliever and mocker, so you'll just remain blind. Dishonoring the Holy Scriptures is abominable.
Jesus said:

Matthew 15
[14] Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

I'm using the Bible to thwart the attackers of the Bible.

otseng
Savant

Post #40

Post by otseng »

07-07-07 wrote: Secondly, you are a carnally-minded unbeliever, so the Bible is confusion to you.
:warning: Moderator Warning

It is against the rules to make negative comments about other posters.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.